Cover ?'s

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I just got offered a contract for my MS from a e-publisher. They will supply the cover art if I don't.

I'm thinking about trying to do so myself. Is this a normal practice?

What specs would be needed in general?

I've poked around here a little. I see some have gone to sites and done their own. I have a friend who's an artist I can ask to help.

I was thinking something very simple. Any advice?

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Cover art is very important.
If you are an artist or well-versed in graphics, by all means, give it a shot. All the publisher can do is tell you they have their own - and will certainly provide you with one or two options.

Step back and think about how you decide which book to buy.
Is it the cover?
Is it the genre?
Is it the author?
Is it the title?

In my case, my publisher asked me to provide images I thought would work with my novel. They then gave me a couple of options. We are still working on it.

Heck, ask the author what they think or want. It can't hurt.

BubbaB

Registered
Reaction score
Well If you need help with cover art you can try me I can help out as much as I can if you want I can post examples of my work.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Here's a pic I sent my artist that I found on deviant art that I think is nearly perfect.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs13/f/2007/102/3/a/Dead_End_by_miltbrand.jpg

If the eye were a little "prettier" & the shadow maybe slightly less human. Or kept as is and not holding something. And the eye should be hazel.

That's what I want.

I haven't heard from him in a week. I don't want you to do anything because he may have something he hasn't sent me, but is that something you can see yourself doing?

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, the eye is a bit close up, it may throw some potential readers off. Although the person inside the eyeball is way cool. What is the publisher proposing for a cover?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Don't mean to intrude or anything but I'm guessing you're linking to that pic just as an example of the kind of thing you'd like to see, rather than suggesting using the pic in a cover without the owner's permission. See this thread in Self-Pub/POD Covers for a list of public domain/royalty free image sites.

-Derek

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
The publisher hasn't suggested anything yet. They want to use their in house person to do the cover, although many have used their own art. She just doesn't know what my guy does.

Which I just got a letter from him, saying he doesn't think he has the time to do it, so he's bowed out.

And to dpaterso, yes, I was just using that pic to show what I wanted. I wouldn't want that exact thing either, but just the idea of it. An eye, with a close up like that, and you see a reflection of a shadow in it.

I'm now on my own. But at least I don't have to check my e-mail everyday to see if I've gotten any new drafts from my friend.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To me, a publisher asking you to supply cover art would be a huge red flag. You are subsidizing their publishing costs and doing something that you are probably not accomplished at (to a professional level).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If they want to do the cover at no cost that is just another red flag. Good covers cost some money--sometimes a fairly modest amount, but still some money. I mean why would you expect the artist to give you free art when you and the publisher are getting royalties?

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
The deal is, if I supply the cover, he gets a % of the profits. So I guess there is a cost. Just not out of pocket.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Just suggesting you make sure you publisher is earning their share. Because if you can put together a good cover via this route, you might do better via self-publishing than with these guys. For a start you won't be limited to selling only via their website.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They sell on Amazon and on Barnes and noble.

But thanks

Either not writer's exchange, or what is on their website is out of date re: "In return, the version that we edit is ONLY to be sold from our website and any promotion should link to our website."?

Last edited:

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score