What made you fall in love with your significant other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
It's December and familial stresses run high, so I though I'd just give folks this little opportunity to remember reasons not to brain your darling dear with a yule log.

P.S. You get bonus points if you can name three nice things apiece about the in-laws who you're snowbound with till January.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score

The cold hard gleam of her daddy's shotgun staring me right in the face.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score

I can't lie. At first, it was his incredibly good looks that attracted me to him, but that's not what made me fall in love (though it does make it easier).

There are so many things I could list about him: he's loyal, he's honorable, he's funny, he's serious, he's strong, he's determined, he's passionate, he's compassionate, he's charming, he's outgoing, he's selfless...I could go on and on about all the redeeming qualities that were little stepping stones up to a huge cliff, where I finally fell, I mean REALLY fell in love.

What made me take the plunge and fall, irreversably and completely (even though at the time I already thought I was in love, and I was, just not as deep), was his endless determination to prove to me he could love me, always and forever, and even at my worst. We'd been married for years and already had our two kids when this finally happened. I honestly thought no man could love me, love any woman for that matter, not the way he claimed to love me anyway. My jaded opinion of men had been long in the making and I reserved parts of myself because I expected my husband to let me down, no, I knew he eventually would. Then, through some difficult times, I realized I couldn't get rid of my hubby if I tried, and that was at first, the most heartbreaking experience of my life. A man could love me, no matter how hard I tried to be unloveable (at least this man could). Suddenly, my eyes were opened to a whole new world where I had a lot to face, but I came out of it a happier person, and knew I had the love of a good man, and miraculously, I could love so freely in return and, in the end, it was the most amazing, most freeing feeling I have ever experienced.

So what made me fall in love with my husband? He showed me how to love and be loved.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I knew it the moment she said her first words to me. I knew it would come to love and long-term marriage:

"You are SUCH a JERK!"

Reaction score
Well I'm not in love (it's just a silly phase that I'm going through, pah pah pah pah pah pah), never have been but I imagine it would be something like:

Good looks - essential. There must be chemistry. No one wants to boink a munter, right? Oh man, I can't believe I got the phrase 'boink a munter' into a post. Well done Nichola. Anyhoo...what I think is good looking and what you may think is good looking, could be different. I'm looking for a spark.

Kindness. But not being a wuss. A manly man, but a kind one.

Curiosity. Someone with a thirst for knowledge.

And...after watching Shakespeare In Love - that look on Joseph Fiennes' face when he's watching Gywnnie on stage? Like she's the only woman in the world. I want a man to look at me like that. I don't notice at first, but then I catch him looking at me, and...*sigh*.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
She understood me.

I didn't have to be anything except 'me'. I could be completely honest with her about anything and she would accept me. We could (and still can)talk for hours or sit quietly together and be happy. She is my best friend and shortly after I met her, I knew I didn't want to live the rest of my life without her. We don't have a perfect life, but I love the life that I have with her - and I love her dearly.

As for the inlaws:

My mother-in-law is a wonderful and generous woman that has always treated me like one of her own kids. My father-in-law is willing to offer advice when we ask it, but doesn't assume we will always do as he suggests. He has spent hundreds of hours helping us to remodel our older houses and has taught me a lot about home repairs. Both are just very loving and wonderful people and I'm happy to have them in my life. (actually, that extends to most of my wife's extended family as well. I feel very fortunate to not only have a wonderful wife but also to have married into a very kind and welcoming family).

Take care all - and Merry Christmas. :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
His irrepressible black sense of humor -- that ability to look the worst that life has to offer straight in the eye, and laugh defiantly.

Well, that and the fact that he fell desperately for me the day we met! Hard to resist that, really. :D

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Dreaming the same dream... He in Michigan, I in Tennessee... a psychic connection that seems to only work between the two of us... He knows what I'm feeling and when I'm upset... If he's at work he calls me before I can finish dialing the number to talk to him... I know what he's feeling and what he's thinking ... just thinks of it... I'll know and it's there. He simply is my other half. His strengths are my weaknesses, my strengths are his weaknesses... together we're perfect... at least my definition of perfect anyway.

My in-laws? Wow... I have the greatest inlaws. They are some of nicest kindest people on the earth. My father in-law will do anything to help someone out. One look at her son's face and how happy he is, had my mother in-law treating me like a Queen from day one. His sisters all treat me well and even laugh at my jokes (which don't happen very often since I'm such a serious geeky person).

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I fell in love with my husband for any number of reasons -- he makes me laugh, I make HIM laugh, he thinks I'm smart and beautiful and reminds me of these things daily, we have fantastic sex, we finish each other's sentences... all those little things. I didn't even realize it for what it was at first, and then I discovered that I was completely and utterly empty without him. It's that whole "you complete me" thingie. I knew I was in love when hit me that I wanted to grow old with this man.

My in-laws: My MIL is a dear, sweet lady, who has welcomed me with open arms into her home and heart, and did the same thing for my daughter (and she continues to treat her the same as the "real" grandkids), and always has good things to say about everyone. My FIl is a smart and resrouceful fellow, who goes out of his way to make sure that everyone has what they needs, that the kids are having fun, and that his wife is okay. They may bicker and snipe at each other, but they are the warmest, most generous and loving in-laws anyone could hope to have.

And they raised one hell of a fine son.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We kept having the 'perfect date'...(from other thread: laughter, discovery, and appropriate intimacy.) Time spent together melded 2 (he and I) into 1 (us). I'd never had that in the truest sense with anyone before. Not to say that it couldn't have happened with anyone else in the world--but it happened with him, and I had eyes for no one else.

We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary in January. This is not due to being starry-eyed, though. It's due to 1)the grace of God, and 2)a lot of hard work: 25 years sees a lot of life's best and worst thrown at you. We have had our boat rocked in some pretty violent storms (2 children with chronic illnesses; my own experience with clinical depression and more 6 years ago; abusive family members, etc.), but God has sent the grace needed to hang in there. And in the process we have learned invaluable lessons about unconditional and sacrificial love--His kind of love, and the only kind of love which lasts.

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I seriously don't know what made me fall in love with him. I just assume my intuition told me: he's the one. I liked him from the first day I met him

But then I got to know him and wow!! My intuition was so right on this one! He's the kindest man I've ever met, he's really smart, he's passionate about what he does, he loves me deeply and would never let me go, he's sensitive and always knows what to do to make me feel better, he's supportive, he accepts me as I am, he's funny, kinda crazy, very dedicated, hard-working. Sheesh, I could keep at it for the rest of the day.

In spite of that, our relationship hasn't been easy at all, but it is the way in which we hold hands and work together to solve our problems and differences that make our relationship all the more beautiful :)

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is just my best friend in the whole world. He understands and accepts me, and there isn't anyone I'd trust more.

As for my in-laws, they're great. Mostly, they were very welcoming and they all enjoy having a good time. It's very easy to be around them all. And at this point, with all the kids, there are a LOT of them.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
He has an I.Q. of 167 so we always have something to talk about.

I didn't scare him (some men have problems with strong women).

He's a gentleman and scholar but is a wild-man too.

He treats me like his Princess Bride.

He can cook and is a talented carpenter and designer.

He has a great sense of humor and a great sense of fun.

He loves me for what I am and who I am, not who he wants me to be.

He is more likely to embrace my wild ideas than dismiss them.

He treats our marriage and friendship as a sacrament and a gift from God not as a burden.

Was it three or thirty things???

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, ten thick inches of man-meat? (Just kidding. Or am I? Hmm....)

When my friend wanted to set me up with a grad student, I was reluctant. She told me, "He's kind of shy, and really, really smart. And he likes ice cream."

Turns out in Tucson in summer, that's all you need to know. First date was a bar, but the second date, ice cream! What's not to like?

My inlaws are dead, so as long as we don't need open caskets or anything, they can stay all winter. Who doesn't need more counter space? (Actually, I got along with them perfectly nicely. They raised a son who became a lovely man, a wonderful husband, and a good father. Even though he only allows himself ice cream once a month now, he's still kind of shy and really, really smart. And he loves me, although I have no idea why.)

Maryn, hopelessly in love

Reaction score
Maryn said:
Um, ten thick inches of man-meat? (Just kidding. Or am I? Hmm....)...Maryn, hopelessly in love

Right, I'll send you the bill for cleaning two nostrils' worth of snorted tea off my laptop, then? :ROFL:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tiny terror said:
Was it the ten inches or the word thick that got ya'? Because personally, I'm impressed with both.
So was I.

Maryn, who thought of "throbbing" too late to edit it in

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Many years ago, before my husband and I were married, we went on a date to a party at a mutual friend's home. While there, some guy began making advances toward me and he wouldn't take NO for an answer.

Without saying a word, my husband calmly walked over, took hold of the guy's shirt with one hand and backed the guy up against the refrigerator. While staring the guy in the eyes, my husband wrapped his free hand around the hand the guy was using to hold his beer can with and squeezed. As the can crunched, beer shot up from it like a fountain spewing all over the place. :D

My husband didn't hit that guy and he didn't say anything to him but as soon as my husband released him, the guy apologized to me.

It was then that I fell in love with my Ox... I mean husband. *grin*

Gehanna

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Gehanna said:
:D

My husband didn't hit that guy and he didn't say anything to him but as soon as my husband released him, the guy apologized to me.

It was then that I fell in love with my Ox... I mean husband. *grin*

Gehanna

That is sooooo sweet. :hooray: Sometimes they are so much better at "doing" the right thing than "saying" the right thing.

Judy

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello threedogpeople! :)

You said:
Sometimes they are so much better at "doing" the right thing than "saying" the right thing.

Yes Indeed.

Gehanna

Status
Not open for further replies.