PDA

View Full Version : E-book cover image

ianuschristius
12-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Hi, folks!

I have finished writing my first e-book, and now I'm trying to find were on the net I can create my cover image that I could put on my first page of the e-book. Of course, for free; if that is a possibility.

Please help:-)

I.C.

veinglory
12-23-2011, 02:48 AM
I would suggest getting the dimension and resolution of a professionally published ebook and making something to the same specs using whatever graphics program you have. But make sure it looks good. Covers still matter with ebooks.

Kurlumbenus
12-23-2011, 02:50 AM
500 x 800 is one suggested dimension I hear bandied around a lot.

eward
12-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Try sumopaint.com*, paint.net, picnik.com*, Gimp -- all free picture editing programs (starred are the ones you can do in your browser, no need to download)

Study those covers in your same genre and try to look just as professional. People may not judge a book by its cover, but they'll probably never take the chance to read the book if they think the cover is ugly.

brianjanuary
12-23-2011, 04:48 AM
A ratio of 6x9 is good.

You can download free or low-cost stock photos from sites like Flickr or Photobucket, then use Gimp (free) to add text. There are plenty of tutorials for this online.

JohnAtPlotForge
12-23-2011, 08:16 AM
I would recommend not skimping on this. Like taking your finely honed brain to an interview and wearing an old rumpled suit and torn shirt. I know a guy who will do your cover for $100 and that is CHEAP. He did mine.

escritora
12-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Try sumopaint.com*, paint.net, picnik.com*, Gimp -- all free picture editing programs (starred are the ones you can do in your browser, no need to download)

Study those covers in your same genre and try to look just as professional. People may not judge a book by its cover, but they'll probably never take the chance to read the book if they think the cover is ugly.

Did you create your own covers using one of the programs you suggested, edward? Both are spectacular.

Nathaniel Bell
12-23-2011, 10:38 AM
I would recommend not skimping on this. Like taking your finely honed brain to an interview and wearing an old rumpled suit and torn shirt. I know a guy who will do your cover for $100 and that is CHEAP. He did mine.

I agree. I'm working up my cover design in Gimp right now. I may go slick and generic or comic booky and crude. But I'm still not opposed to the idea of hiring a pro if I can't get it right.

Would you mind posting your designer's website here?

Nathaniel Bell
12-23-2011, 10:40 AM
500 x 800 is one suggested dimension I hear bandied around a lot.

I'm wondering about this myself. Do you think 500x800 might be too small to blow up for a print edition of your book?

Old Hack
12-23-2011, 12:40 PM
It's good to know a good free program to use and the resolution your cover image should be: but bear in mind that if you have no design talent, and have a poor understanding of how book covers work, then at best your cover is going to underperform and at worst, it's going to suck. Be very careful doing this for yourself if you want your self-published book to do its best for you.

ianuschristius
12-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks, folks. First I'll try with those free image editor programs, and if that won't look good; I'll colect some money and hire a pro designer.

pixydust
12-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Good luck! :)

NewKidOldKid
02-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Try Fiverr. There are some amazing designers in there.

davidw
02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi,

We have a range of cover designers:

http://www.liberwriter.com/kindle_book_cover_images

Prices are quite reasonable - all under $200, with some less than half that.

A cover is something you don't want to skimp on, as it's what may catch people's eye. Of course, like anything, if you put the time in, it can be fun to do it yourself, too. The Gimp is a pretty good tool for that, and if you look around via Flickr's advanced search, you can find free images to use. I think there are other sites that have "open source"/free images as well, but do check the licensing.

GHWard
04-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Are there any design sites similar to 99Designs.com offering the buyer the option of professional bids (from Graphic Designers around the world) for less than $299.00? I like the bidding option, but $299 is steep for me!