PDA

View Full Version : Libations and Truth

butterfly
12-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I rarely drink but am right now and may have 1 or 5 more B52s before I'm done and by drinking these have discovered that I can concentrate more and remember and images and words become clearer, so I was wondering if you think that alcohol improves your focus or are you forced to focus because of the alcohol?

Also, do you think there is more truth through liquor, that while flowing through your blood it tells your inner cryptic to fuck off because you're just going to write it down? (and yes, I meant cryptic. Not sure if it makes any sense to you but it makes perfect sense to me at this moment.)

And, if anyone else is drinking or otherwise altering their mental state please chime in because I really don't like to drink alone...

(And yes, there is a reason why I am drinking but I'm not ready to talk about it now. Or maybe I am but don't want to, I'm really not sure.)

AndreaGS
12-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Nope, never helped. As soon as I have a drink, I'm done writing for the day. I can string words together, but not well.

P.S. Come back and read your post when you're sober, and then tell me that alcohol improves your focus.

Booze can be a terrible trickster.

jjdebenedictis
12-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Surprisingly, this is all biology and chemistry at work.

The right-hand hemisphere of your brain is in charge of making associations between disparate ideas, forming mental images, and feeling emotion.

That means it's in charge of generating ideas (those flashes of inspiration that feel like they come out of nowhere), and it's the part of your brain that gets triggered by evocative writing.

It's possible the alcohol causes that side of your brain to make crazier connections, and thus generate wilder and more vivid ideas.

However, actually writing those ideas down in a coherent form requires your left-hemisphere to be operating at the top of its game, and alcohol is only going to get in its way.

So if it works for you, get tipsy for brain-storming sessions. Just make sure you're sober when it's time to write.

butterfly
12-23-2011, 01:53 AM
P.S. Come back and read your post when you're sober, and then tell me that alcohol improves your focus.QUOTE]

Point taken!

[QUOTE=jjdebenedictis;6844059]Surprisingly, this is all biology and chemistry at work.

The right-hand hemisphere of your brain is in charge of making associations between disparate ideas, forming mental images, and feeling emotion.

That means it's in charge of generating ideas (those flashes of inspiration that feel like they come out of nowhere), and it's the part of your brain that gets triggered by evocative writing.

It's possible the alcohol causes that side of your brain to make crazier connections, and thus generate wilder and more vivid ideas.

However, actually writing those ideas down in a coherent form requires your left-hemisphere to be operating at the top of its game, and alcohol is only going to get in its way.

So if it works for you, get tipsy for brain-storming sessions. Just make sure you're sober when it's time to write.

It doesn't, really. I guess I was just hoping it would serve some useful purpose but therein lies the trickery.

kuwisdelu
12-23-2011, 02:25 AM

I haven't really noticed any difference between my sober writing and my writing-under-the-influence, and it does help getting in the mood sometimes. Just read it back when you're sober and make sure it still reads okay. For me, it's the writing-while-sleepy that typically gets thrown out.

Filigree
12-23-2011, 04:15 AM
I usually fall asleep.

Filigree, whose heavy drinking days are long over.

Susan Littlefield
12-23-2011, 07:45 AM
I don't drink alcohol. It's just not my thing. When I did drink, it did not cause clarity in any sense, it just...well....made me act stupid and make no sense at all.

But, then again, that's just me.

Manuel Royal
12-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Surprisingly, this is all biology and chemistry at work.

So if it works for you, get tipsy for brain-storming sessions. Just make sure you're sober when it's time to write.Well, all that stuff happens on both sides of your brain. The differences between the left and right hemispheres are popularly overstated.

I used to like a couple of drinks to loosen my brain up; but experience has shown it doesn't really help, because (as so many tipsy drivers have found) it also impairs one's judgement. What really does help is getting enough sleep (not always possible) and pushing other things out of my mind (often very difficult). And a little caffeine; not too much.

Polenth
12-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Small amounts of alcohol make me sleepy and unfocused. I can type, but more likely, I'll fall asleep. I don't know what large amounts would do as I have no interest in being drunk, but I see no reason to suppose I wouldn't go to sleep.

But what I do know from observing many drunks is they often think what they're saying is inspired genius. Until they're sober again, you repeat what they said and they're exceedingly embarrassed. Alcohol isn't good for knowing whether an idea is good or not, because it makes everything look awesome.

The Lonely One
12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I learned from an old post (don't ask) people don't like their personal habits questioned. So I will only speak for myself, and my own thoughts regarding me.

I've never written anything good while drinking. My family has a tendency toward alcoholism, and as writing is a lonely and habitual action, I'd rather not combine them. I like some of Hemingway's stuff. His lifestyle? Not so much.

For me, I've never been under the influence of something and written something good. I've written things, but looked at them the next morning like WTF?

blacbird
12-23-2011, 10:27 AM
In vino veritas. Literally, "in wine is truth." But in actuality, it comes across more as "in wine is what you think is truth." Therein lies the problem. Imbibing loosens inhibitions, and may make you more voluble and openly "honest" about your feelings or opinions. What it doesn't do is make those feelings and opinions objectively "true". Writers from Thomas de Quincey to Frederick Exley to Stephen King have commented on what various forms of drugs, including alcohol, did to their creativity, and for most, the picture isn't pretty.

caw

backslashbaby
12-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, it just loosens inhibitions. Including inhibitions about whether what you are saying is stupid :D :D :D

gothicangel
12-23-2011, 12:57 PM
No, I just feel very drowsy - then when I do sleep, it's not the type of sleep my body wants.

There's a reason why its illegal to drive under the influence. You lose your focus. You might think you're focused on the road, the reality is you are swerving one lane to the other.

Dr.Gonzo
12-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I get a lot of writing done when I've had a drink. When I'm in the pub, I talk a lot--usually not with people I know. I am a friendly fucker. When I'm at home and I've got the Glenfiddich on the go or the Chivas Regal, or the Peroni [...] I write like I talk in the pub--prolifically. The laptop, MS Word: my unsuspecting victims.

shaldna
12-23-2011, 02:33 PM
I rarely drink but am right now and may have 1 or 5 more B52s before I'm done and by drinking these have discovered that I can concentrate more and remember and images and words become clearer, so I was wondering if you think that alcohol improves your focus or are you forced to focus because of the alcohol?

No.

You might THINK while you are drinking that everything is clearer, but when you reread what you write while sober, you'll wonder who let the illiterate monkey into your study.

Not sure if it makes any sense to you but it makes perfect sense to me at this moment.

And this is why writing while drunk is always a bad idea.

Dr.Gonzo
12-23-2011, 02:39 PM
No.

You might THINK while you are drinking that everything is clearer, but when you reread what you write while sober, you'll wonder who let the illiterate monkey into your study.

And this is why writing while drunk is always a bad idea.

Doesn't work like that for me. The worst that'll happen is a typ9o otr somet6hing.

butterfly
12-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I was hoping this thread would pass out... ;)

I definitely prefer my dunkin' donuts dark to the 1-1/2 B52s I had yesterday.

And I read what I wrote and want to apologize, especially to myself. Apparently the only thing I got out of it was stupid thoughts and an early bedtime.

Back to coffee and water.

Taylor V
12-23-2011, 06:51 PM
I've never written while drunk, but I do some programming and I've found that it can actually help there, because it makes me more likely to jump into a problem I've been avoiding. Typos can be a problem though.
I've written some good stuff using another "creativity enhancer;" I wouldn't say it's better or worse than normal, but it's usually weirder and sillier. Definitely needs more editing the next day than usual, though.
Really, the only drug I can definitely say enhances my writing is caffeine.

Jamesaritchie
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM

Also, do you think there is more truth through liquor, that while flowing through your blood it tells your inner cryptic to fuck off because you're just going to write it down? (and yes, I meant cryptic. Not sure if it makes any sense to you but it makes perfect sense to me at this moment.)

And, if anyone else is drinking or otherwise altering their mental state please chime in because I really don't like to drink alone...

(And yes, there is a reason why I am drinking but I'm not ready to talk about it now. Or maybe I am but don't want to, I'm really not sure.)

I think the truth about drinking is that most people lie to themselves about the positive benefits of drinking.

Charles Farley
12-24-2011, 12:12 AM
I get a lot of writing done when I've had a drink. When I'm in the pub, I talk a lot--usually not with people I know. I am a friendly fucker. When I'm at home and I've got the Glenfiddich on the go or the Chivas Regal, or the Peroni [...] I write like I talk in the pub--prolifically. The laptop, MS Word: my unsuspecting victims.

I am the same way. I tend to ramble on depending on the stage of drunkenness. Some of the ideas written in these stages are ridiculous some I can take and use for future work.

This is why the keyboard has a delete button.

I know every sober word I put down on paper is gold so why drink at all? ;)