PDA

View Full Version : Is it evil...

areteus
12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
To take your friend's names, translate them into random foreign languages and use them as character names in stuff you are writing? :)

It shouldn't be but I have just done it and it feels weirdly evil of me to have done so...

Amadan
12-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Only if you then use them as True Names while sticking pins in wax and cloth effigies of your friends.

Alessandra Kelley
12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Wait, you're Tuckerizing through Babelfish?

areteus
12-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Not Babelfish, no... It's a combination of taking their name, translating into another language (mainly using google translate) and messing around with them to make them less obvious. In some cases I am adding random other words to the name as well...

At least all the characters are sort of complimentary...

shakeysix
12-22-2011, 09:57 PM
go for it. one of my main characters is my own brother but i gave the character my brother's best friend from high school's first name. the character's last name is different but i don't think i even had to do that and i wouldn't have, except that it is my family name too. my brother doesn't even know i write and even if i told him, he would not read my stuff.
it is evil but fun. only steal characteristics and names from self absorbed people, mix them with your own formula and you should be safe. evil but safe--s6

DL Hegel
12-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Are you bumping off these same friends in the stories? Not evil, it's called therapy.

areteus
12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
LOL Not bumping them off... actually it is purely a world building exercise for a game so other people may get to bump them off :)

One is a Grand Duchess, another is an Imperial Majesty and the third is a respected scholar...

DL Hegel
12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
That doesn't sound evil, it sounds like fun. Most friends would be tickled to be in a story, even if you bumped them off.:)

Alessandra Kelley
12-23-2011, 05:52 AM
That's what Tuckerizing is all about. :D

bettielee
12-23-2011, 10:23 AM
...not if you don't get caught!

however, all my friends ask me to use their names in my books. They're weird.