How long is a full length play usually?

DivaNicoletta

Registered
Reaction score
What is the typical length for a full length play, is it 120 pages like a screen play, or shorter?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of plays over the years, and while there's no standard, of course, they tend to run shorter than most movies. Ninety minutes rather than two hours, not counting intermission. Assuming that the page-per-minute rule holds, you want to come in well under 120 pages.

Maryn, who only wrote one play

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
You should get at least one minute per page with stageplay format, and about one minute per page if you use screenplay format.

The length is much less critical for stage than for screen. Of course, extremely long plays will be a problem for a number of reasons. Maybe something in the range of 70-100 minutes of playing time would be a good figure to shoot for (20-30 minutes for Act I, Act III; 30-40 minutes for Act II). My guess is that something in the range of 60-90 manuscript pages would be best for stageplay format with its longer dialogue lines, or 70-100 if you are using screenplay format.

If you develop your story around a three-act structure, and flesh it out in a way that seems natural, it will have its own internal dynamics that will determine length.

DivaNicoletta

Registered
Reaction score
I only plan on make it a two act'er, with pretty simple sets and a cast of about probably about 6 or 7, 10 at most.

QueenB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordsdownpat.com
DivaNicoletta said:
I only plan on make it a two act'er, with pretty simple sets and a cast of about probably about 6 or 7, 10 at most.
Diva,
I'd say 75 - 90 pages would be okay, with Act I being longer than Act II. With a strong Act I curtain, simple sets, and a small to medium sized cast, chances are a community theatre will be interested in producing it.

As a board member for a local (Louisiana) community theatre and a member of the play selection committee, I know I'd be glad to get a good script to read to consider for production. It's a good way to try out the play if you can work with the director and cast to tweak the script. Many publishers want to know the production history when you submit, so even a staged reading is advisable before you contact a publisher. Good luck.