PDA

View Full Version : BetaCrit Project Group (Open Slots - Group 2)

Saint09
12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
((UPDATE - BlaqueSaber has offered his services for group 2))

============================
BetaCrit Project Support Group

Most of us on these boards have been involved with a local writers group at some point in our lives. I love these groups. But what happens when our schedules don't allow us the time to make every single meeting? Or when we don't have the time to read the 5 pieces of work up for crit? Or when we have to wait two months to get to the top of the crit queue?

Sadly, this is currently where I find myself at the moment. I have the time to write, to crit, to read, to review...just not physically show up at a specified time and place. I'm at the point where my project(s) are stalling because the motivation is dwindling due to lack of peer support. Unfortunately, my only other alternative is doing "submit for review" on forums. Which is okay, but not quite the one-on-one, dedicated attention that serious projects need.

And thus was born the idea for a BetaCrit Project Support Group.

What is it?
The BetaCrit Group is an idea for a small group of around 6 writers to get together for support, beta reading, and in-depth crit for a novel they plan to see all the way through the publication stage.

Err, isn't that what my writer's group is for?
Maybe. Yes. And no. Some of us may be lucky enough to belong to a writers group that small. Others, not so much. Most writers crit groups are very general, accepting short stories, poems, novels, etc. This group is specifically geared to novels, and perhaps even a select few genres, and those serious about being published.

Also, writers groups require you to physically show up at a set time in a set place. Not all of us have that freedom. But that doesn't mean we're less dedicated to our novels. This group is designed to work over the internet, where we can show up any time we have time.

How does this work differently from a writers group
The level of one-on-one attention would be the biggest difference. Each member would pair up with one other member that will act as their in-depth critique partner. That partner will help in more than just reading and critting your chapters. They will help with worldbuilding, ideas, brainstorming, suggestions, continuity of plot, pacing, etc. This partner will be privy to the goings on behind the scenes of your novel.

The other 4 members will act more along the lines of beta readers. They'll read your chapters in the mindset of a reader (not a writer trying to help a writer). This is generally more along the lines of the type of critiquing you'll find in a larger writers group. It's always good to have feedback from people who don't know everything going on behind the scenes.

Okay, how's this going to work?
The group would mainly exist on a forum. Each member will get their own forum within the forums, which they will have full admin access to. They can create any sub-forum, category, topic, etc that they'll need to help with their project. They can organize this however they want. They can password protect certain worldbuilding/plot threads so only their project partner and them can view it. The entire forum will be hidden from the public at all times.

Each member can login and make/read posts whenever they want (regarding they are actively supporting/participating). Any hour of the night. On holidays. While at work (which is where I am right now).

So...there you have it. I'm sure people are doing groups similar to this out there, but I certainly haven't been able to find any. I don't know about you, but I could sure use this level of support. Depending on the genre and type of novel we write, sometimes we need more support than one-off readings and a few comments. Sometimes we need people excited about all aspects of our novel and everything behind the scenes. Sometimes we need someone familiar with our project to bounce ideas off of. Sometimes we simply can't commit to showing up in person. And some of us don't even have writers groups in our area.

If anyone is anyone is interested in starting a group like this, post away! If you have suggestions, feedback, or questions, feel free to share. If enough people are interested, I would be more than happy to host forums for multiple BetaCrit groups.

Group 1 (thefantasyarchives.com/forums (http://thefantasyarchives.com/forums/index.php))
Slot 1 = Filled
Slot 2 = Filled
Slot 3 = Filled
Slot 4 = Filled
Slot 5 = Filled
Slot 6 = Filled
Slot 7 = Filled
Slot 8 = Reserved Pending

Group 2
Open slots. Details coming soon.

Saint09
12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I figure before we start partnering up, it might be a good idea to share a little bit about us as writers. Might as well start it! I'll keep it pretty simple and basic for now.

Name: Chad
Genre I Write: Fantasy (most sub-genres), Mystery, Humor, Christian-Fic, YA

What kind of novel would you be most helpful in doing deep-crit for?

Fantasy - Epic/Adventure/YA (some Urban)
Mystery
Thriller
Christian/Spiritual-Fic
Adventure/General Non-Fic

I'd be most helpful doing deep crit in the fantasy genre. That's where 80% of my reading is done and what I am most familiar with. I've read all sorts of fantasy novels from Epic to fairytale to Urban. Since I have a few projects that fall under this category, I have a very deep familiarity with all aspects of worldbuilding.

Genres I'm not familiar with.
Not familiar with romance novels (as a genre, not romance in general). I've never read a romance novel, so I wouldn't have any benchmark in which to gauge what would be considered good/bad.

Themes that make me uncomfortable and would rather avoid.
I'm not too comfortable with anything that is sexually explicit. I usually just skim if it gets too detailed, but as a constant theme in a novel, I'd rather avoid that. Also not comfortable with sacrilegious themes.

Writing/critiquing strengths.
Dialog and character development are my two biggest strengths. My work experience involves interacting with hundreds of people from all over the US/world every week. There's not a personality type out there that I haven't met. I'd be most helpful in those areas. Also, as previously mentioned, have extensive experience in worldbuilding, specifically creating a world from scratch.

How much time can you commit to the group, and what times are you most available?
I can commit to at least 4-5 days a week with detailed posts, and at least responses nearly every day. Most of my free time comes while at work when I have 2-4 hours of downtime to spend on the group forums. That time is graveyard PST, so I sleep during the day. I'm usually up most evenings and get some writing in before work.

Chalula88
12-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Sounds awesome to me! :)

Name: Ellen
Genre I Write: Dark literary fiction, speculative fiction

Speculative fiction
Literary/mainstream
YA
MG
Horror

Ultimately, I've worked on a ton of projects and I know a lot about almost every genre.

I'm not familiar with romance or erotica at all.
I'm not familiar with any sort of religious writing.

Nothing offends or upsets me and no level of explicit sex or violence has ever bothered me.

I'm very good with sentence, paragraph, and chapter flow. I make a lot of comments about how to restructure sentences to sound better and how to improve the pacing as a whole.

I'm also good at catching passive voice, overdone descriptions, and grammatical errors.

How much time can you commit to the group, and what times are you most available?
I have a pretty good amount of free time, but it varies with work and school. Generally, I have 1-4 hours a day to spend critiquing and posting comments.

I am most available in the evenings and sometimes during the day, but that depends on my schedule.

mmallico
12-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Name: Matt
Genre I Write: Fantasy, YA

Fantasy - Epic/YA/anything non Twilight
Action Packed Mysteries or Thrillers
Horror

I'm especially familiar with fantasy, whether YA or Adult, since that is the genre I've spent the most time writing. I also enjoy works with lots of suspense and mystery in it. I like to not know immediately what the protagonist is up against.

Anything Twilight related, just no vampires. Also, I don't mind Romance, as long as the two don't fall in love immediately or don't have to fight tooth and nail to be with each other.

I've read m/m romance, but I would rather not. Sorry, not homophobic, just not my cup of tea. Also, anything that gets too overly preachy or criticizes one group of people too much is something I would avoid.

I tend to focus more on setting, dialogue, characterization, then punctuation and more in depth stuff. Basically, if I see a problem, I won't hesitate to mention it. I tend to put more immediate concerns as comments in the document itself, and anything else outside.

I work a variable schedule, and I haven't yet to sign up for classes. I also have to come to the library to get internet access, but I hope to get some soon. I can devote maybe a couple of hours every day, sometime more sometimes less.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/reputation.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/reputation.php?p=6842570) http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/report.php?p=6842570) http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6842570)

Saint09
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on guidelines?

One I can think of that might be useful is to making your user name your real name when registering. With only 4-6 (possibly 8 if everyone is okay with that), we shouldn't run into 5 Johns.

Also, I'm looking into writing a NDA into the forum registration page.

Saint09
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
I went ahead and loaded up the forum. Just formatted it enough to give the general idea of what it'd look like. You can find it HERE (http://www.thefantasyarchives.com/forums/).

Right now it'd viewable to guests and registered user. Once we start using it (which can be once we get a few committed to the project), we can hide all the sensitive information/categories/etc...which would be pretty much all of it.

s.m.s
12-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Sounds great! The major crit/writing group in my area requires a fee for just about everything which is just not possible for me right now.

Name: Shante
Genre I Write: YA (sci-fi, fantasy, paranormal, contemporary with fantasy/paranormal elements, mysteries, thrillers)

Fantasy (YA)
Mystery (Adult, YA)
Thriller (Adult, YA)
Paranormal/Urban Fantasy (Adult and YA)
Romance (Adult/YA)

Most of my knowledge is with YA since that's what I want to write, but I'm also familiar with adult mysteries, thrillers and urban fantasy novels and romances--contemporary or historical.

Christian literature. High fantasies or hard sci-fi.

Nothing much really. I'm pretty open minded.

I'd like to think I'm decent at spotting and avoiding or re-working cliches. This is especially important in the YA area. Good at injecting drama or tantalizing conflicts or crazy plot twists. Ha.

Since I'm currently looking for work, I'm pretty much available whenever and however long. I am on the Pacific Coast in the US for time zone considerations.

Chad, have you tried Googling other online crit groups and peeking at their rules or guidelines just to get some ideas?

Saint09
12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Chad, have you tried Googling other online crit groups and peeking at their rules or guidelines just to get some ideas?

I was actually looking over a few guidelines for yahoo writer groups this morning before bed. Unfortunately most of them are larger groups with more rules and your typical submission queue format. Rules like when to have your stuff submitted by, when to have your response, format of those responses, etc.

Our group is a bit unique (from what I can tell). With so few people and such an open format, I'm thinking it should be fairly simple to self-govern. Maybe as we're setting up the forums we might come up with some forum formatting guidelines for our project sections.

What I'll go ahead and do right now is create the user (using just our first names) for the forum and PM you all the passwords (you can change them later). From there we can talk a bit more in detail about the group as well as the projects we are working on. That'll help us decide how to go about partnering up, or maybe if we just want to leave it open for people to get as involved as they want to (far as behind the scenes info and spoilers) in each other projects. Plus it'll be a little bit more private of a place.

As of right now, going by who has responded here and PMed me, we have 5 people. Plenty enough to get started.

PS: If anyone has familiarity with forum setup through the Admin Control Panel (using phpbb), I could use some help/ideas getting the forums all squared away.

ryannj5
12-24-2011, 06:11 PM
This sounds cool. Can I play?

Name: Ryann (I'm a girl, FYI) :)
Genre I Write: YA

General Fiction (Adult)
YA all genres
Paranormal/Urban Fantasy/Dystopian (YA)
Romance (Adult/YA)

Christian literature. Hard sci-fi. Literary fiction.

Nothing comes to mind.

I have an eye for moving pacing along, spotting where characters need more development, I'm decent at line edits (aside from commas - I hate those), and market comparrison since I read so much.

No time constraints. I love to read, I love to write, I love to help serious writers.

Bushrat
12-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Sounds good to me :)

Name: Kay
Genre I Write: contemporary fiction with suspense sub-plots, non-fiction.

memoirs
thrillers
chick-lit
contemporary fiction

I don't read fantasy in any incarnation.

I skip all passages that feature explicit violence, be it directed at people or animals. I do not read anything that tries to push religious views and morals on the reader.

I have a good ear for dialogue and deep POV, and am a real stickler for facts. My main strength is creating short and vivid descriptions - though I have to watch that I don't get carried away with it.
When critiquing, I try to give suggestions as to why certain things don't work for me and what I can think of to improve it. And I do not think that my opinion is the holy grail you need to follow.

It totally varies with me, according to the seasons. I have a lot of time between now and late January, then again in March; and in April-May, I won't have any.

amlptj
12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Still have room? I was just on to ask if anything like this existed.

Name: Ally
Genre I Write: My series is YA Horror/Thriller, also right now working on YA Fantasy

Thillers
Horror
Fantasy
YA of petty much any sort

Romance, Erotic, contemporary

Erotic

I'm good with spotting plot holes/flaws, flow and character problems. I'm good with support for continuing a story and figuring out ideas on how to fix problems.

I'm in college right now, but i'm on break at the moment so i'll have plenty of time, it really depends on where how much schoolwork i have. Usually i'm on at night though. I'm rather addicted to AW so i'm on offten

Saint09
12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
We may have some room left. Just have to talk it over with some of the others and get a final list of who all we have at the moment. Been gone the past couple days for the holidays. I'll post an update later tonight!

heidirebecca
12-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Just in case you've got more room, I'd love to join too.

Name: Heidi
Genre I Write: YA fantasy (more harry potter, less twilight)

YA fantasy
YA contemporary
Not so much paranormal romances

High Fantasy, Romance, Crime

High fantasy with sword fighting and LOTR type stuff. Also, I really loathe YA paranormal romances.

Plotting, backstory and world building are probably my strengths. I'm also quite good with spelling/grammar and pacing. I tend to question character motive a lot and I'm quite a picky reader myself so if something doesn't hold my interest or would make me want to put the book down, I can spot it easily.

I'm free a lot as I only work once or twice a week and school doesn't begin until March. When it does, I'll still have plenty of time free.

AgathaChristieFan
12-29-2011, 01:05 AM
I'd like to join too if you still have room...

Name: Yawatta
Genre I write: Romance, Chick Lit

Horror
Thriller
Suspense
Romance

Genres I'm not familiar with:
Sci-Fi, Young Adult (but I wouldn't mind reading it)

Themes that make me uncomfortable and would rather avoid:
Would rather not read anything too religious. Pretty much open to anything; nothing really bothers me.

Writing/Critiquing strengths:
Great with characterization and plot. I'm good with spelling and grammar. And, I'm good with providing feedback along the lines of what I find good/bad as a reader instead of a writer helping another writer.

I can commit a lot of time to the group. On Mon, Wed, Fri, the best times are in the mornings before I go to work. Mornings, afternoons work best for me. When I buy a new laptop, will also more available at nights and Sundays.

BlaqueSaber
01-03-2012, 06:58 AM
If there are more people interested than space a second group could be started easily. I could have a forum made in no time without any hassle at all.

Saint09
01-03-2012, 12:20 PM
If there are more people interested than space a second group could be started easily. I could have a forum made in no time without any hassle at all.

That's great! I can also keep the first post here updated with the slots and their stats (either filled or open).

Just a quick update. The first group still has a possible 3 slots open. We're waiting to hear back from a couple people, but if we don't hear back soon we'll go ahead and set those slots to open.

Anywho, keep posting, and we'll keep creating groups!

GenevieveGoth
01-03-2012, 09:41 PM
If there's going to be a second group started, I'd love to join.

Name: Jennifer
Genre I write: Urban Fantasy (Adult)

Urban Fantasy (Ya/Adult)
Paraormal (Adult/YA)
Fantasy (YA/Adult
Sci-Fi ((Adult/YA)
Suspense/Thriller

Anything that requires me to have a grasp on pop-culture since I don't follow it at all.

I don't really have anything that makes me uncomfortable

I'm good with plots and characters. I'm not at all shabby when it comes to grammar and spelling.

I can commit a bit of time, mostly in the afternoons and late nights. I'm available some evenings but not always.

AlanDavid
01-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Is there still room? :) I'd be interested in joining.

Name: Alan
Genre I write: literary/contemporary fiction with supernatural & thriller elements

Literary
Contemporary
Mystery/Suspense
Thriller
Paranormal
(YA or Adult on any of those)

Romance
Erotica

Basically nothing. Violence doesn't bother me; sexual content doesn't bother me, though I may not be able to offer a lot of help with it if that's your focus. I'm extremely open-minded and LGBT friendly.

I'm fairly good with characters and dialogue. I can spot sentence structure clunkiness fairly well. I'm also anal about weird little details and can pick up on them. ;)

I've usually got quite a bit of free time on my hands, and I'm on my laptop most of the day. I always try to check online at least once, even if something comes up.

wampuscat
01-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Just a question. Is the intent of the group to review polished materials only or is it welcome to second drafts as well. I'd be interested, but I don't have much that I feel is ready for beta readers. I'm more at the crit partner stage.

Karen Junker
01-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Name: Karen
Genre I write: Paranormal romance, urban fantasy

Romance, especially Regency era
Mystery/Suspense
Fantasy
Urban Fantasy

Genres I'm not familiar with: YA

Themes that make me uncomfortable and would rather avoid: I do not have a deep understanding of Christian themes.

Writing/Critiquing strengths: I can spot cliches, anachronisms and most grammar/spelling/typos issues. I usually comment on what goes through my mind as I'm reading, so if something is unclear to me, I will mention that.

How much time can you commit to the group, and what times are you most available? I am available most days from noon to around 8 PM Pacific time.

Saint09
01-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Just a question. Is the intent of the group to review polished materials only or is it welcome to second drafts as well. I'd be interested, but I don't have much that I feel is ready for beta readers. I'm more at the crit partner stage.

Group one has a good mix of both. I'd say about half of us are closer to a complete manuscript, and a couple have stuff at the beta stage, but are also have another project for chapter-by-chapter. I'm only 4 chapters into my most completed projects.

It's meant for both, but some things might change depending on what the group decides. For example, in our group, instead of really partnering up, we went ahead and let those who want to be involved in deeper crit, behind the scenes, spoilers, etc go ahead and decide themselves. This was mainly due to some of the projects not really requiring such deep critiquing.

Anywho, looks like 4 people already for a group 2 in just one day. Should be enough where BlaqueSaber can start up the other forums.

buz
01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Still room in group two? ...If so, can I play?

Name: Alice
Genre I write: Fantasy, weird things

Fantasy
Sci-fi
Speculative fiction
Anything weird or offbeat or humorous
Historical fiction

Romance
Erotica
Christian/spiritual

--I have no idea how to critique YA because I don't know what makes it different from regular A (aside from length/themes) but I'm not unwilling to read it :)

Themes that make me uncomfortable and would rather avoid: Christian/spiritual themes...I like vulgarity, and purity makes me feel weird. Because I am batshit crazy and have a Thing about substance use, I can't read an entire book in which drug use figures heavily (but occasional/passing use is fine).

Writing/Critiquing strengths: Dunno. :D I've been told I'm okay at dialogue. I have a better-than-average-but-not-spectacular command of spelling and grammar. I'll give anything I can...I'll be that someone sexy you tell "Hey. Give me everything tonight."

How much time can you commit to the group, and what times are you most available? Nights and some of my days off...I have a full-time job but not much of a life otherwise.

Ellielle
01-05-2012, 08:26 AM
I think this sounds great...and would love to join if possible.

Name: Erin
Genre I write: Fantasy (most of my recent projects have been YA)

Fantasy (all sub-genres) (YA or A)
Sci-fi (softer end--I'm no scientist) (YA or A)
Thriller/suspense/mystery

Historical
Literary Fiction
Romance
Erotica
Christian/spiritual

Themes that make me uncomfortable and would rather avoid: It's not that I have anything against Christianity, but I'm horribly unfamiliar with it.

Writing/Critiquing strengths: Plotting. My grammar is generally decent (so I'd like to think). I can give opinions on characterization in something I'm reading, but it tends to be the weakest point in my own writing.

Well, my job leaves me with a lot of free time that I could use for reading/critting. I'm more or less free Monday through Friday from 1pm until I go to sleep. But I live in South Korea, which means I'm available from...oh, 11pm Eastern Standard Time (just using this as a reference for US time because this is where my home/family is) to maybe 8 or 9 AM. Not sure if this fact would completely knock me out as a participant...

Saint09
01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
BlaqueSaber hasn't been on in a couple days and only has 8 posts. If he's not back soon then I can go ahead and toss up some forums for a second group, but somebody would need to help admin them (fairly simple to do). It might even be possible to get a second group setup on the same forums, and just make each group's areas visible to that group. We'll give BlaqueSaber a day or two to respond!

Saint09
01-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Not sure if this fact would completely knock me out as a participant...
That's the beauty of a crit group with this structure--you can login and read/crit at any time!

Ellielle
01-06-2012, 12:49 AM
If no one else wants to, I would be happy to try to admin for the board for group 2--assuming it really is simple. Technology and I are not good friends. But anything about on par with, well, setting up this account, I can do.

I'm about to disappear off the internet for about 2 days, because I'm returning to South Korea from my holiday in the states. But just send a message my way if BlaqueSaber doesn't reappear, and no one else wants admin forums for group 2.

Kayletta
01-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Just a quick question about this:
Having a particular partner means if someone drops out (lets face it things come up, people get sidetracked, or learn to hate their partner) then their partner is a bit stranded. Having 4 other crits would be wonderful, but wouldn't it make sense to have this run for a time length, so partners could be switched or people drop out without feeling like jerks?

Basically reorganize each group every X months so people won't feel like they have to commit to an infinite project or leave someone stranded. Maybe there is a reason to not do it this way, but I'm hesitant to jump into something that has no real exit possibility without leaving my partner stranded and the entire group short. I realize someone else could step in but its still forcing the partner to unexpectedly start over with someone new.

Saint09
01-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Just a quick question about this:
Having a particular partner means if someone drops out (lets face it things come up, people get sidetracked, or learn to hate their partner) then their partner is a bit stranded. Having 4 other crits would be wonderful, but wouldn't it make sense to have this run for a time length, so partners could be switched or people drop out without feeling like jerks?

Basically reorganize each group every X months so people won't feel like they have to commit to an infinite project or leave someone stranded. Maybe there is a reason to not do it this way, but I'm hesitant to jump into something that has no real exit possibility without leaving my partner stranded and the entire group short. I realize someone else could step in but its still forcing the partner to unexpectedly start over with someone new.

Yup, it does make sense. And each group can always tweak things based on how they want to handle it. For example, those of us in group one haven't partnered up yet. For know we are just posting our work in our sections and reading others...getting a feel for each other and whatnot. We may not even partner up, but instead leave it up to individuals to get involved on a deeper level of critique.

But what we do want is for everybody to at least have 1 person they can share the deeper levels of their novel and plot/etc with. So that might take some discussing.

Far as how hard/easy it is to setup forums...well, slightly more difficult than setting up an account here. BUT it's all done through a control panel...just a lot more specific and detailed than the User CP. You can see a screenshot on group one's forums (HERE (http://thefantasyarchives.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23))

Then there's also things like adding custom BBcode (HERE (http://thefantasyarchives.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=33))
And adding custom smiley code (HERE (http://thefantasyarchives.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=51))

These are all things we got happening on the group 1 boards. And adding more when I think of them. It takes a little time to get everything setup, but managing it from there is easy. Especially when you give every member mod permissions for their own sections so they can move, reorder, merge, delete stuff on their own. But everything in the PHPBB admin CP is point and click. As long as you can read, you can pretty much go through and see what does what.

M.R.
01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
If there's still space, I'd be interested in joining a group.

I write horror and some SF

Kayletta
01-06-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm definately interested as long as we can get an agreed upon exit strategy (incase someone wants or needs to step out).

Edit: Putting in my information

Name: Jennifer, but I go by Kayletta on the web
Genre I Write: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, horror, erotica, whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Fantasy
Sci-Fi
Horror
Thriller
Romance
pretty much anything except Westerns

Westerns, YA, childrens, christian fiction (read a couple books but by far not my best subject)

I'm good with pretty much anything - you can't offend me or make me blush.

Detail oriented, open minded, well read with a wide range of literary enjoyment

However much time is necessary; whenever I need to be around.

Intermittent Rain
01-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm definately interested as long as we can get an agreed upon exit strategy (incase someone wants or needs to step out).

Or a replacement policy. Most of the people interested have very few posts, including myself. I've got over 4 years and 4,000 posts on another forum on another topic and know that people with very few posts have a very high disappearance rate.

Interesting idea though, and if I had more time this month I'd be into it.

GenevieveGoth
01-07-2012, 01:17 AM
I've got over 4 years and 4,000 posts on another forum on another topic and know that people with very few posts have a very high disappearance rate.

That's not necessarily true. I have next to know posts but I check this forum every day... often multiple times a day. I just don't do well talking to large numbers of strangers. Which is half of why I think a small group would work fantastically for me.

AlanDavid
01-07-2012, 01:34 AM
That's not necessarily true. I have next to know posts but I check this forum every day... often multiple times a day. I just don't do well talking to large numbers of strangers. Which is half of why I think a small group would work fantastically for me.

I agree. :) I haven't got a lot of posts, either, but I do check a lot, and I'm not going anywhere. I'm just shy and have trouble actually speaking up much in large groups.

thebloodfiend
01-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Name: Cory
Genre I Write: YA, Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Contemporary, Literary

Contemporary YA
Horror
Science-Fiction
Fantasy
Thrillers

Most of my longer stuff is contemporary or horror, but I do dip into screenplays, science-fiction, and fantasy.

Christian Lit, Mystery, Noir, etc...

Overarching Christian themes. Sexism. Etc... I will read the goriest of torture porn and, while I don't critique erotica, I don't mind explicit sex scenes.

Dialog, character development, sentence structure, etc.. I'm not bad with grammar either. I'm also pretty good at detecting world building weaknesses.

I can commit two or three days a week, probably after eight or nine.

Saint09
01-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I'd pay more attention to the "last time logged in" than post count. They could have 5 posts in 4 years yet the last time they login every day. Or 5,989 posts and only login 2 times a month...or not been logged in since last year.

Far as the replacements and exit strats. Should be fairly easy with 6-10 people in a group. If someone decides they want out, just delete their forum section, and bring in the next person on the waiting list. For example, group one has 2 people who have yet to login to the forums. We're giving them till tomorrow before we delete their users and bring in the next people in line on this thread. But with few number, it shouldn't be too hard to manage. Won't take long until you have a very active group of 6-10 people.

Jazzy Waltz
01-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Name: Jasmine
Genre I Write: Romance (Paranormal, Contemporary, Historical) and sometimes YA fantasy.

Fantasy - YA or Urban. I've done a bit of Epic and I certainly read it, so probably could be of some help there too.
Crime novels
Romances of any sub-genre

Sci-fi (despite the fact that my hubby is getting me into Star Trek, lol) and Westerns. I also don't really read many non-fiction works, so probably wouldn't be of help there.

Erm, basically the general romance/erotica taboos (incest, rape, beastiality, etc). I'm not a huge erotica fan anyway despite the fact that I'm cool with sex scenes in romance, but as long as it doesn't have those things I'm okay.

I'm good with spotting plot weaknesses or inconsistencies, pointing out where the pacing can be smoothed out or tightened up, and dialogue interaction.

I do have work and college that keep me busy, but I'm sure I can commit at least an hour a day. I'd be available in the evenings, Mountain Time.

I'm aware that Group One is full, but Group Two looks open and I'm hoping to be able to get in! :)

bethfred
01-14-2012, 09:06 AM
If there are still openings, I would love to get involve with this. But I should mention, I'm currently in the process of completely rewriting my ms, so I don't have a completed one to work on at this time.

I'm most interested in YA, Romance (though I tend to shy away from romance w/ graphic scenes), and Chick-lit, but I will read anything.

bethfred
01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I seem to have posted incorrectly the first time.

Genre I Write: YA; romance/chick-lit

Fantasy
YA
Chick-lit
Romance (tame)
I'm willing to read anything.

Sci-fi, Fantasy, Western, Thriller

I'm not sure there is a theme I want to avoid, but I don't enjoy reading graphic sex or violence.
dialogue, characterization, big picture issues, and I'm not bad with grammar

[B]How much time can you commit to the group, and what times are you most available?[/two - three days/week; whenever I need to be around.

Ellielle
01-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi, bethfred. There are still openings in the second group, because many people who expressed interest here haven't responded since. I'm going to give them one or two more days, and if even one doesn't respond, I'll send you the link to check out/join the forums for group 2. (basically, I can almost promise you a spot, but as this is sort of a first-come-first-served thing, I just don't want someone to lose a spot because they were too busy to respond immediately)

Taytortots
01-14-2012, 12:23 PM
If there's still openings for Group Two I'd love to be a part of it.

Name: Taylor
Genre I Write: YA, Fantasy, Supernatural

YA
Fantasy
Supernatural
Adventure
Dystopian

Romance, as a genre not a sub plot, Western, Religious

A lot of Erotica, Homophobia, Sexism. This is for if the book has this tone, not if one character is homophobic or sexist.

Finding plot holes, dialog, characters, Details.

As a weakness, grammar is not my strong point.

At least a few days a week for a few hours, or an hour or so everyday, but will vary from week to week. Times will mostly be later in the day, evenings and night.

bethfred
01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks, ellielle.

Ellielle
01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Update for this thread: Currently, group 2 has 8 members, so we're full for now. Slots will possibly open if someone decides it's not right for them or if we decide the current group size is too small.

Stiger05
01-20-2012, 08:58 PM
I would love to participate in this if a new group starts or slots open up. My local critique group meets once a month and while it's great and I love my group, that's just not frequent enough to really get things done on my ms. Here's my details:

Name: Sarah
Genre I Write: YA. Fantasy and Urban Fantasy mostly.

Fantasy genres (I don't read much high fantasy, but dabble a bit)
Horror
Thriller
Contemporary YA
Dystopian
Mystery

Literary, Romance/chick-lit, children's

I'm really not good at Romance/Erotica or LGBT- I just don't have much experience with these genres so I'm probably not the best one to crit them.

I edit as I read, so typically line-edits for grammar, punctuation,sentence structure, etc, as well as overall character development. I'm good at pointing out inconsistencies (but he took that shirt off in chapter 8), as well as things that are/aren't working for me. I usually write a sum-up of my thoughts at the end of a chapter or section.

I can commit at least a few hours a couple days a week. I'm on AW almost every week day unless I get into a writing flow, then I become a bit more sporadic. The weekends I'm usually MIA. I'm mostly available during the day (8-4 central).

xcomplex
01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I would be interested in joining! Could you tell me what comes next or PM me what I have to do? Thanks! This is a good way to get some critiques.

Name: Ariel
Genre I Write: Fantasy, YA, Urban (most sub genres of mine are in Fantasy :)

Fantasy
Sci-Fi
Horror
Thriller
Romance
pretty much anything except Westerns
Westerns, christian fiction (read a couple books but by far not my best subject)

I'm good with everything. I do in depth critiques.

Detail oriented, open minded, honest but not in a too harsh way :)

However much time is necessary; whenever I need to be around.

Ellielle
01-23-2012, 07:53 AM
There's a potential spot in group 2 that's going to open, as there's one member who registered but does not participate, and we're looking for members who will be fairly active. I'll send you a message if it does.

As for what comes next/what to do...at the moment there's sort of two options, because both of the already-formed groups are full-ish. The easier option: wait for a spot to open. Group 1 may have settled into a good roster by now (though I don't know, just guessing, and they've been around a couple weeks longer), but Group 2 is sort of still settling in and has one spot that seems like it'll open, and we could consider expanding the number of people in our group.

Your second option of what do to would be to wait for a few more people to express interest (because there's just 2 of you right now), and then contact Saint09 about starting a third set of forums. In order to do this, though, you'll have to have someone volunteer to be administrator and set up the forums. It's not too difficult. I'm admin for group 2, and I'm terribly technologically inept, but I managed to get something basic tossed up there and lock the critique forums from non-registered users. It just takes a little time.

xcomplex
01-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks for letting me know! Maybe I'll wait if that spot opens up. I''d be an active member. PM me if it does. Cheers!

Stiger05
01-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info! Sorry to hear someone is already inactive (but not too sorry if it means I get to be involved. Oh, I'm awful, haha!). Will you keep us posted as to whether the spot opens or if we have to wait for enough interested members for a third group? Thanks again!

Ellielle
01-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Sent you both PMs.

Also, for anyone else interested, there may be one more spot available in Group 2, as I think we're increasing our numbers to 10.

Chazevelt
01-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Sounds great. Checked out the link and registered. Hope this works out as I'm very interested in participating.
Name: Debby, but I go by Chazevelt most everywhere online.
Genre(s) I write: Action/Adventure, romance, westerns, SciFi, military.
Genres with which I'm not familiar: Kiddylit, horror, hardcore erotica.
Themes I would choose to avoid: Horror, zombies, vampires, outright porn, excessive graphic violence.
Strengths: Character building, religion/spiritual overtones, grammar, finding plot holes, time lines, punctuation, attention to detail.
Availability: I am disabled (no nine-to-five) and nearly home-bound as I am caregiver to my brother who is bedfast. I'm online practically around the clock.

shayla.mist
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone! I'd love to join if there's one more spot for me, although I read all the posts and didn't see anyone writing in my preferred genre: LGBT romance. I have several half completed manuscript, but only two that I've started seriously working on and I really need someone to guide me through the plot. I must also admit that English isn't my native language. I hope you let me know via PM if there's a spot for me.

Name: Andra

Genre I Write: gay romance (contemporary and paranormal)

LGBT
Romance
Fantasy/Paranormal

Horror, westerns, children fiction, christian fiction.

Erotica ( I do appreciate sex scenes in novels, but to be honest, they usually bore the hell out of me), horror, bdsm, torture, rape, angst and tearjerkers, drugs.

I tend to concentrate more on the characters and the relations between them so I suppose that would be my strong point. Usually, I am a bit uncomfortable to tell someone what I think should be corrected in their writing, but as long as that person is honest with me, I will do my best to point out the scenes I consider should be revised with as much common sense as possible.

Usually I'm not available during the weekends, but I'm online most afternoons after work. I've visited the forum every day ever since I've registered.