PDA

View Full Version : PB & YA... Wait, What's Missing Here?

MorganMarshall
12-22-2011, 07:19 AM
So I've been looking through agent submission guidelines, and notice a lot of them say they accept PB and YA, but don't even mention MG. Is this because they lump MG in with YA, or do they really only want both extremes but not the middle? I'm a little confused... Help?

escritora
12-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I've noticed the opposite. Many don't accept PB and most accept MG and YA. Perhaps we should swap lists. :)

MorganMarshall
12-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Sounds good to me! LOL

jaksen
12-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Which agents are these? I've researched over 200 agents and haven't seen this and I am actively looking for an agent to represent a MG novel.

suki
12-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Many agents who represent mg actually list it as children's - Many agents and editors use children's to be all novels before YA.

So, look to see if the represent childrens. Or juvenile literature, etc. but the may not specifically list MG.

~suki

trickywoo
12-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I found that very few agents specifically stated that they represent MG. I queried anyone who included children's books, juvenile literature, or YA in their bio. Also, you could do some digging and see if they represent any MG authors or any YA similar to your work. I think that MG more closely aligns with YA than picture books, so if an agent repped picture books but not YA, I skipped them.

Also, if there was an agent on my list who didn't say anything one way or the other about children's, I went ahead and queried them. Happy querying!

Terie
12-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Many agents who represent mg actually list it as children's - Many agents and editors use children's to be all novels before YA.

So, look to see if the represent childrens. Or juvenile literature, etc. but the may not specifically list MG.

This. Very few agents represent PBs, so I'm guessing you might be misintrepreting something.

Also check Agent Query (http://www.agentquery.com/). Many agents there list Middle Grade, but almost none list Picture Books.