Marvin Gaye! (aka Other forum activity/news, heard through the grapevine!)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What we got here -- besides an inverted Cool hand Luke rip-off -- is a place to communicate. :)

Got something going on in Poetry? Post here. Fancy making people aware of a Kids competition? Post here. Might could you be thinking about a horror prompt? Post here! Putting up a fence? Well, you get the goddamn idea.

I'll try to keep this updated, but if you come from another genre and you got something happening, give us Westerners a heads up in this thread and we'll sure take a look at what you're offering.

So, who's up first? :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like we got a live one. :)

All of the entries are in for this December's Poetry Contest!
All we need now are your votes!
How hard can that be?
It's not!

Please follow this link:
(password: citrus)

Find your favorite poems here!

Read the poems,
pick your top three favs
and send Blarg your vote via Private Message!

In his words:

How to Vote

Once the poems are posted, you may send me your vote via PM – one vote per current AW member in good standing, also using the private message function.

The subject line of the PM should be VOTE: ZIPCODE Contest.

In the body of the message, include up to three votes in order of preference, from first to third. List both the poem number and the title. For example:

3. Peyton Place
7. Kill my Landlord
8. Strapping on the Couch

Voting will close at 11:59 PM US Eastern on December 30, 2011. Any votes received after that time will not count.

I will then post complete results with vote totals for every entry, and announce the winner.

If you win, we'll need a mailing address of course. Prize donators will either mail your prize to you or have it sent from an online distributor.

All right, then, Zippy -- get cracking and claim your place! Good luck!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you heard it through the grapevine.

True, and once I heard it I figured a super-dooper thread for giving parochial peoples a heads up would be a good thing. After that, well -- I just had to get it on.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See post two in this thread for details. :)

This is it!

Less than 5 hours before the polls close.
Please support our own AW poets.

Vote for your top three favorite entries!
See the first post in this thread for the links.

Thank You!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After its seasonal break; the Flash-Fic Fortnight is returning. :)

Welcome to the January Flash Fortnight!

The January Flash Fortnight will run from Sunday 15th January (Day 1) to Saturday 28th January (Day 14). Each morning during the challenge, I'll update this post with a new prompt for the day, so please check back if you find them useful! All of the challenge prompts will remain permanently available to you, so if you'd like to use any of them outside of the Fortnight, please feel free to do so.

Prompts

(TBA)

Tips on using the prompts

Think of the prompt as a starting point. When you look at it, certain words, phrases or ideas might immediately come to your mind. Try writing these down. For each of these things, consider what words, phrases or ideas that they, in turn, inspire.

Keep going in this way. You could free associate on the thoughts you're getting, or ask yourself questions on each thing: What is it about this that I'm drawn to? What would happen if I followed this train of thought to its logical conclusion?

Try not to censor yourself, or second-guess your imagination. In the end, the idea you end up with might be completely unrelated to the prompt - and that's completely fine!

Good luck!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heads up all word-smiths -- a new competition has been announced in the Poetry Forum. :)

Hey folks! I am pleased to announce February's poetry contest:

DREAMS, VISIONS, OR NIGHTMARES

What's It About?

Write a poem on any of the three aspects of the contest title, or a combination of those aspects. Pretty wide open, you say? Yep. That's the idea. But, it is a February contest, you say. Shouldn't it be about Valentine's Day? It can be, if you want it to be, though it doesn't have to be. Perhaps you met your dream, your vision, or your nightmare on February 14th. Or, you wake from a dream to find... but you all don't need my help on ideas. You have ideas bursting from your pores. So go write. So many directions to go... and only one poem entry to take you there.

I have decided to go with member votes to determine the winner of the contest. After the submission phase of the contest ends, all poems that have been submitted and meet the rules of entry will be posted in a thread in the Poetry Crit forum, and members will vote for their top three favorites. First-place votes get three points; second-place votes get two points; third-place votes get one point.

The poem with the most points wins.

The Prizes

Blarg will be donating (more info to come), and CDSinex has been kind enough to offer A Zen Wave: Basho's Haiku and Zen by Robert Aitken. Mccardey has generously offered 2 books from the Book Depository.

First-place winner will get first choice of prize, followed by second-place winner, etc.

Rules

• Entrants must be members of AW in good standing since at least January 12, 2012.
  • One entry per member.
  • Poems must be three hundred words or fewer.
  • Poems must be sixty lines or fewer.
  • There is no restriction or requirement on poetic form.
  • Poems will be posted exactly as entered – except that they will all be posted in the same font. No graphic images will be permitted. Please make sure your spelling and formatting are exactly as you want them before you submit the poems. (Use Preview Post before you send). I will not proofread or edit the entries.
  • All AW members in good standing since at least January 12, 2012, are eligible to vote.
  • Entrants are permitted to vote for their own poems.
Entrants must vote to be eligible to win.

How to Enter

Using the board's private message function, send me your poems by February 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM US Eastern (know your time zones).
I will post the poems together in a single thread in the Poetry Crit forum, and open the voting.

When I post the poems, I will assign the poems a number and use the title the author chooses (if you submit without a title, it will be creatively called Untitled).

How to Vote

Once the poems are posted, send me your vote via PM – one vote per current AW member in good standing, also using the private message function.

The subject line of the PM should be: VOTE: DREAMS, VISIONS, or NIGHTMARES Contest.

In the body of the message, include three votes in order, from first to third. List both the poem number and the title. For example:

9. Flying Pigs
2. Falling Stars
5. Beauty's Breath

Voting will close at 11:59PM US Eastern on February 29, 2012. Any votes received after that time will not count, even in your dreams.

I will then post complete results with vote totals for every entry, and announce the winner.

If you win, I'll need a mailing address. I'll either mail the prize to you myself or have it sent from an online distributor.

So get your vision clear, follow your dreams and avoid those nightmares. Ready, set, go!

Good luck!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Over in the poetry forum, the AW POETRY CONTEST - DREAMS, VISIONS & NIGHTMARES is now closed and voting has begun.

Anyone who has been a member since 12th Jan this year can vote and how to vote rules and information can be found below.

Here is a link to the entry thread -- the password is citrus

• All AW members in good standing since at least January 12, 2012, are eligible to vote.

How to Vote

Once the poems are posted, send Ambrosia your vote via PM – one vote per current AW member in good standing, also using the private message function.

The subject line of the PM should be: VOTE: DREAMS, VISIONS, or NIGHTMARES Contest.

In the body of the message, include three votes in order, from first to third. List both the poem number and the title. For example:

9. Flying Pigs
2. Falling Stars
5. Beauty's Breath

Voting will close at 11:59PM US Eastern on February 29, 2012. Any votes received after that time will not count, even in your dreams.

UPDATE: The entries have been posted. Here is a link to the thread. (password: citrus)