Amazon sub-categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's a useful sales tool (as well as an ego-boost!) to have books on Amazon best seller lists, even if the lists are for relatively small sub-categories.

And one of my publishers is really good at getting the books categorized properly so that they show up on the lists. For example, a recent release is on the list for:
Books>Gay & Lesbian>Literature and Fiction>Fiction>Romance.

But another recent release, from a different publisher, has a significantly higher overall rank but is not showing up on any lists, I assume because the publisher did not put it in the same sub-categories. And when I try to classify my self-pubbed releases into sub-categories, I can't find them - I find the larger classifications, like "Gay & Lesbian" or "Romance", but I can't figure out how to combine the classifications to end up with Gay Romance, for example.

Can anyone help me with this? Have I even explained the problem properly?

If it helps, the link to the book from the first publisher, with the subcategories, is here, and the link to the book from the second publisher, without the subcategories, is here. The categories are down near the bottom, with the heading "Look for Similar Products by Category".

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure how you fix it. My last Pocket release only hit a top 100 list the day after it came out, and it was Romance>Contemporary. Well, it IS contemporary, setting-wise, but the actual genre is Paranormal. So you might ask the publisher what categories they put it in.

Kurlumbenus

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. Basically you'll just have to email them and tell them to move your work to the category you want it to be in.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously? They won't just let us pick it from the start? That's odd!

But good to know. Did you just e-mail the general customer service types, or the kdp people, or...?

Kurlumbenus

Registered
Reaction score
It IS odd, but basically the KDP categories don't map directly to the Amazon Store kindle directories. The KDP categories are based on those used by the BSG, a major US Book trade group.

Basically go to KDP, click on the Help link at the top of the screen, then scroll to the bottom of the Help page and use the Contact Us button. From that menu, go to Publish Your Book, then Add or Change Categories and it'll tell you what to do from there.

Turnaround for me was a few days because they have to review and make changes manually.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
It also helps to go to your book's page on Amazon and attach tags. This will help people find your book when they perform a search. I believe you can add fifteen tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.