How do you feel about expressing negative opinions of other writers/books publicly?

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
This question is for those of you who are already published and have a career as a writer.

Do you think it's a good idea to express negative opinions of other writers/book publicly such as in your blog or during interviews? What I mean is, is it considered bad form?--you know, bad blood and burning bridges and all that. After all, writers often recommend each other and become friends, and even if you try to be totally constructive in your criticism, you will offend and hurt feelings.

I guess an example would be when George R.R. Martin publicly expressed his disappointment in the ending of Lost, which offended Damon Lindelof, the showrunner for Lost. It became this big thing that people talked about. Another one would be when Stephen King criticized Stephenie Meyer's writing.

I suppose it's really a matter of personality. Some people go out of their way to not offend others--whether out of politeness or out of career considerations, while others feel like they should say whatever's on their mind, as long as they're being constructive--even if it might come back and bite them in the ass later. I guess if you are a total unknown, then no one would care about what you say anyway, since what you say will never reach the ears of those you spoke about negatively.

We see this in Hollywood a lot--where some actors, directors, producers...etc will never say anything negative about others, and they always give very diplomatic answers. It feels a bit fake, but totally understandable, since the politics behind the scenes can get very complicated. Then there are those who will say just about anything and don't give a shit.

So how do you feel about this?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
There's a world of difference between saying a particular book was poorly written and a particular author is a complete arsehole.

There's also a difference between being unpleasant and being constructive.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Being a writer doesn't stop me being a reader, and it doesn't stop me having opinions.

If authors can't handle people disliking their work, they should find another career.

I would never be outright nasty, but I won't cease being verbal about my opinions out of fear of vengeful authors doing the same to me. Living in that way seems utterly appalling.

Now bear in mind, I'm not saying I'm going to be wandering around screaming 'author is shit and should be forced to eat shit!', but if I'm asked about someone's work and I don't like it, I will say so. As diplomatically as possible 'I'm not keen on it, but then I may not be the target audience'.

If I'm reviewing work, however, honesty is important. You aren't reviewing to salve the authors ego, you're reviewing to give an honest opinion on the work, which may help readers. If I find it poorly written, full of plot holes, the characters flat and cardboard, I am going to say so.

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
There's a world of difference between saying a particular book was poorly written and a particular author is a complete arsehole.

There's also a difference between being unpleasant and being constructive.

Yes, but what I'm asking is, even if being constructive and fair, is it a good idea to say anything negative at all, if it might hurt feelings and create powerful/influential enemies for yourself down the line in your career. You can't always assume the people you offend are open-minded and nice--some might be vindictive and hold a grudge, and the first chance they get to destroy your career, they might. (This is the worst case scenario, of course.)

Reaction score
I'm conflicted about this matter because there are a lot of books in my genre which offend me -- rapey BDSM being a major problem.

But if I voice my opinions on Twitter or my blog, what if the author sees it? More importantly, what if the book's editor sees it, and one day in the distant future one of my manuscripts lands on their desk? Will they knock my work back because of my opinion of a book they worked on previously?

And yet, I feel like a hypocrite whenever I hold back because of this. I could be shooting myself in the foot as regards my career, but is keeping an opinion of a rapey erotic romance to myself, hypocritical?

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
I'm conflicted about this matter because there are a lot of books in my genre which offend me -- rapey BDSM being a major problem.

But if I voice my opinions on Twitter or my blog, what if the author sees it? More importantly, what if the book's editor sees it, and one day in the distant future one of my manuscripts lands on their desk? Will they knock my work back because of my opinion of a book they worked on previously?

And yet, I feel like a hypocrite whenever I hold back because of this. I could be shooting myself in the foot as regards my career, but is keeping an opinion of a rapey erotic romance to myself, hypocritical?

Nail on the head. This is exactly what I meant in my question. I would be surprised if writers don't think about this issue in the age of blogs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've considered an anonymous review blog but am not sure if I'd have the time to maintain it. Yes, I read an enormous amount in my own genre, but reviewing takes time -- you need to analyse, and provide proof of your points. Brief quotations. Something more in-depth than "I liked this," or "This book was shite."

But, again...anonymity. Does it equal hypocrisy? Would I be hiding behind another false name? Would it be seen as deceitful?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yes, but what I'm asking is, even if being constructive and fair, is it a good idea to say anything negative at all, if it might hurt feelings and create powerful/influential enemies for yourself down the line in your career. You can't always assume the people you offend are open-minded and nice--some might be vindictive and hold a grudge, and the first chance they get to destroy your career, they might. (This is the worst case scenario, of course.)

If a poor review hurts feelings, well, OK it's not nice to have your feelings hurt but all writers need to be prepared for someone to say I didn't like this book and here's why. There isn't a single writer alive - or dead - who gets all positive reviews.

As for creating enemies, I have enough trust in people to hope that if I am professional and polite, even with a book I didn't like, someone connected to that book will be as professional and not figure I didn't like their client's book so I must be a bad person they don't want to deal with.

ETA: This is the whole bash the author/bash the book deal. I've got no problem with saying I thought DVC was a terrible book. That's my right since I read it. If I said Dan Brown is a total arsehead who can't write for toffee, that's abusive and unprofessional.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
A lot depends on your phrasing imo

If I were to say 'Well this part wasn't to my taste because of x and I personally feel that doesn't work' or 'this slowed the pace too much for me, but plenty of others will like it for exactly that reason', well....if they can't take that, they should consider whether they want people to have opinions about their work.

When I've reviewed, I noted what parts I didn't like and why, and also noted that this was as much personal taste as anything. (Unless I'm noting bad editing, continuity etc)

It's like a crit group, in a way. If you can't take constructive comments about your work and realise that everyone has their own preferences, well you shouldn't be there.

People getting the hump about constructive criticism need to get over themselves. If someone notes I've handled X poorly, then that's good, I can improve on it next time. On the other hand, trashing a book (or the author)just because it's not for you just isn't cricket.

Reaction score
There's no nice way to say "The male MC is a rapist," though. Yeah, that's a bugbear for me in my genre.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
There's no nice way to say "The male MC is a rapist," though.

What if he's a brooding hunk with emotional scars who can't help himself when he's overcome with passion for the woman who hurt him but who he still loves and -

I just made myself puke.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
But, again...anonymity. Does it equal hypocrisy? Would I be hiding behind another false name? Would it be seen as deceitful?

This was why I decided to review under my own name. Actually, my pen name. I decided to own my words and accept any possible consequences.

Having said that, though, I've yet to post an all negative review. I don't have much free time to read, so I select very carefully. I review a fraction of the books I read and, usually, if I'm going to put time into writing a review it's usually going to be for a self-pubbed or small press book that I think deserves it.

The tricky part for me is if it's a book by someone I know well. I have to be careful to not let my personal affection for the person get in the way of an honest review.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
There's no nice way to say "The male MC is a rapist," though. Yeah, that's a bugbear for me in my genre.

The hero danced too close to the consent line for me--and sometimes he fell off?

This reads like a rape fantasy, which, while popular for some, isn't my bag, baby?

Yeah, maybe just 'Too rapey for me'

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
My advice is, don't do it.

When I was a magazine columnist, I reviewed a lot of books. Publishers sent them to me unsolicited. I reviewed only the good ones. My job as a reviewer as I saw it was to steer my readers to the good stuff.

Negative reviews can have consequences. Suppose the author becomes an editor where you submit, for example. You can come up with lots of other scenarios where book-bashing goes and comes around. Suppose you fall in love with the author. :) (Make sure the ring has a money-back guarantee.)

About a year ago I posted a negative review on amazon for a self-publishing how-to book. I was offended that the author, whom I know, was charging money for such a piece of crap in a marketplace where much better books on the subject were available and where the same information was available online for free. I think I was most offended because I know the author and expected much better from him. He kind of phoned it in.

I didn't like myself for having done it for two reasons. (1) It went against my long-standing policy of good reviews only, and (2) I was thinking about writing a good book on the same subject and didn't want to appear to be slinging mud at the competition. (I abandoned the project.)

So I deleted the review and won't do it again. But that's just me.

Pistol Whipped Bee

Now what?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenniferplace.wordpress.com

Communicating - in any fashion - without tact speaks to the person doing the communicating - not the subject matter being discussed. Anyone with destructive tendencies towards another person will most likely find themselves facing a lawsuit in court.

If I get offended or my feelings get hurt because someone writes something ugly about my work, whether it's constructive or not - my feelings and my behavior are my responsibility - they're on me. When another person writes something ugly - it isn't about me or what I wrote - it's about their interpretation - their view. Awareness of their opinion and whatever feelings that follow, positive or negative, need to stand independently of how I feel about myself and my work. If I always allow myself to be defined by other's opinions of me and my work - I'm screwed.

I think it's totally acceptable to leave a review that lets readers know you didn't like a book and why. Rational decisions can't be made when fear dictates someone's behavior. Common sense needs to replace fear. There's always a reason why something might backfire. But if someone is always looking for those reasons and using them as an excuse not to do something - nothing would ever get done.

Reaction score
I disagree strongly with the 'good reviews only' policy. If I read reviews by someone who's only ever positive about their reading material, I doubt their sincerity. I've had five-star reviews from people who have also five-starred rapey BDSM shite, for instance. That alone makes me wonder about how discerning they are when it comes to erotic romance, and their opinion means less to me as a consequence.

I value reviews from people who aren't afraid to say when they don't like a book -- that way I know they could have said something bad about my work, but didn't. Therefore, their opinion is genuine and carries more weight.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
I also tend to think bad reviews are a favour to a reader. If I were considering buying a book and read reviews warning that it was hopeless/disappointing/offensive/contained too much grilled cheese/whatever, then I as a reader would know to steer clear of that book and save my money. That's an important consideration when reviewing books. Reviews are primarily for the benefit of READERS - the consumers who will spend their hard-earned cash on that writer's product. They have a right to know if it's not worth what they're paying for it.

In terms of the OP's question, I think it helps to think of it in terms of: how would YOU feel about a bad review of your book? Would you hold a grudge forever because another author said your work wasn't for them? And I think if someone said "I didn't like [Novel] because of [x/y/z reasons]" then I have to respect that person's point of view, like I have to respect a critter's points if I put my work out there. But if someone says "Psychomacologist is a moronic, shitty writer who deserves to die in a fire" then yeah, I'm going to hate that person. And with pretty good reason, because they're a douchebag.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I also tend to think bad reviews are a favour to a reader.

Indeed, if they say WHY they didn't like the book. For instance, a book I read really wasn't for me - I'm not a fan of various aspects and that was probably why I didn't connect with the characters etc

But someone who I a fan of those aspects will know that maybe they'd like this book.

When I review, I take the stance that I am ther to say what kind of book it is, to show the reader whether, despite my opinions, it might be the sort of thing they'd read. Just recently in an online book club I mentioned that in a book I wasn't a fan of the really intricate fight scenes that slowed it down for me, and which I found quite tedious - I personally am not interested in what foot went where, unless it's into a groin :D. But if someone reading that loves intricate fight scenes (like my Old Man, and frankly, LOTS of people) then they'll know that maybe this is a book for them.

The trick is to be explicit what it is that you didn't like, and why, and to iterate it's your personal preference.

Conversely a good review that states they loved certain things in a book that drive me up the wall, that good review will stop a sale.

Last edited:

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
^Indeed. When I DO review books, I always try to say what it was that put me off. Those kind of reviews are most helpful to me when deciding whether or not to read a book.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I've left negative reviews on Shelfari from time to time. I try to be clear about why I didn't like it. (I think Witch and Wizard was the most recent one I rated poorly.) Some I changed my opinion later and edited the review to reflect that.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I'll stick with the no-bad-review policy. I don't usually get very far into a bad book. Enough to know it's bad, not enough to make an objective review. Reading a bad book all the way through is a waste of time.

Of course, I reviewed non-fiction. It might take more pages to know that a work of fiction is truly bad. If so, however, why do we beat ourselves up so much getting the first chapter to hook the reader?

Maybe the reviewer just didn't like the ending.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would stick to an anonymous review if possible. I think about this too. (Some) people are petty. Sorry to say, but they are. And people definitely hold grudges. While the advice is "You're a writer, you're supposed to have a thick skin", I'd be afraid that the one writer I gave a review to, had never developed any and it could bite me somehow later.

Very good topic.

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Although I'm not published, and my only writing career is in my head.... my tuppence worth says anonymous too, except when I have spent money on a book. I praise it when it's very good, and slate the waste of money if it's very bad. But only when it's very bad (see anything by Chris Kuzneski. ANYTHING!) If it's just a bit dull, then I'd leave it alone, as it may suit someone else, and I don't want to put them off.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would stick to an anonymous review if possible. I think about this too. (Some) people are petty. Sorry to say, but they are. And people definitely hold grudges. While the advice is "You're a writer, you're supposed to have a thick skin", I'd be afraid that the one writer I gave a review to, had never developed any and it could bite me somehow later.

Very good topic.

But if you are discovered as the writer of an anonymous negative review (there are ways....) now it does look suspicious.