PDA

View Full Version : The Official AW Office Christmas Party Thread

Silver King
12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
This time of year, it helps to be reminded that we have a room for holiday threads located here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203).

Please let's keep our holiday-themed discussions in that forum.

Thank you.

BeatrixKiddo
12-21-2011, 03:57 AM
What, you posted something reasonable and no one posted a reply to argue with you?

I am shocked.

Shocked!

:D

KellyAssauer
12-21-2011, 04:45 AM
So... I can't talk right here about how important National Flashlight Day is going to be to me tomorrow. I'll have to put that in Holidays and Special Occasions, right? ;)

weird holidays for every day of the month (http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/december.htm)

Silver King
12-21-2011, 05:01 AM
It's nice to see that at least some people take me seriously around here!

rhymegirl
12-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Did you say something, Silver King?

Silver King
12-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Like I said, at least some people around here take me seriously.

DL Hegel
12-21-2011, 07:47 AM
I always take you seriously Silver, Rob too many vowels is a different story.:D

bettielee
12-21-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry, what? I can't hear you over the Chipmunks Christmas song.

Yeah. I said it.

I want a hool-a-hoop!

DL Hegel
12-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Bet your taunting is useless without a YouTube link, ok not useless, I just wanted the link.

KellyAssauer
12-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Not that I happen to know where these things are

*whistles innocently*

original (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hAUWyp0qzs)

w/o intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT2GLdWrqLM)

Maryn
12-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Huh?

stormie
12-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you.

You're welcome...but where's the Peppermint Schnapps Holiday thread? I looked everywhere and there wasn't one.
<whine>

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Silver who?

Cella
12-21-2011, 06:38 PM
I just wanted to post in one of Silver King's threads...

DL Hegel
12-21-2011, 06:52 PM
You're welcome...but where's the Peppermint Schnapps Holiday thread? I looked everywhere and there wasn't one.
<whine>

<hiccup>

I have no idea where it is.

Honest.

stormie
12-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Stop drinking my schnapps, DL. I'm tellin'!

Lavern08
12-21-2011, 08:13 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rmc0084l.jpg
Don't mind me - Just passin' through...

DL Hegel
12-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Stop drinking my schnapps, DL. I'm tellin'!

But Mom said I could.

KellyAssauer
12-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Wooohoo! It's finally December 21! National Flashlight Day!

:banana:

-oopsy-

:ROFL:

DL Hegel
12-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Kelly are you making light of this thread?

This is serious business, young lady.

KellyAssauer
12-21-2011, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't dare make light of it.

I can't even get this darn thing to work...
I think it's the batteries.

Anyone seen Cray?

Cella
12-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Who hasn't seen cray?

if you know what I mean...

DL Hegel
12-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I get a charge out of Cray.

rhymegirl
12-21-2011, 09:19 PM
I think it's the First Day of Winter.

Can I post that in Office Party?

KellyAssauer
12-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I think it's the First Day of Winter.

Can I post that in Office Party?

Tomorrow Sweetie.

The 22nd is Yule/Solstice this year.

BeatrixKiddo
12-22-2011, 02:32 AM
I never take anything seriously. I just pretend I do.

stormie
12-22-2011, 02:41 AM
I get a charge out of Cray.
You can't. His battery expired in 1938. February, to be exact. I know these things. Just like I know Mom didn't tell you to drink my schnapps. So there!

Williebee
12-22-2011, 03:52 AM
Is there a place where I can put my holiday cold? Cuz I'm sick, and tired of it. I spent the last day and a half zoned out on NyQuil. Now I've got a stuffy head, fever and can't get some rest 'cuz my nervous system is shorted out on the giant freakin' Q. Somebody find me the right thread and I'll go hack something up there.

KellyAssauer
12-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Somebody find me the right thread and I'll go hack something up there.

No problem Williebee, here you go (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=5306).

Silver King
12-22-2011, 05:01 AM
Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment;not only about survival;http://goo.gl/HkjeP
Warren, you're defiling my precious thread, you dirty spam-butt.

Wicked
12-22-2011, 05:02 AM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Signs/spam3.gif

stormie
12-22-2011, 05:10 AM
Warren, you're defiling my precious thread, you dirty spam-butt.

I don't know if it's this thread, but I've been getting several messages from Avast that it's blocked malicious whatevers as I was on this thread just a little while ago and I had to shut down and restart. Seems okay now.

rhymegirl
12-22-2011, 05:26 AM
It's four days 'til Christmas! Woohoo!

Silver King
12-22-2011, 05:31 AM
I don't know if it's this thread, but I've been getting several messages from Avast that it's blocked malicious whatevers as I was on this thread just a little while ago and I had to shut down and restart. Seems okay now.
It was nothing malicious, just some embedded spam, which doesn't appear within actual posts, that's used to further the spammer's Google rating when linked to AW.

DL Hegel
12-22-2011, 05:33 AM
You can't. His battery expired in 1938. February, to be exact. I know these things. Just like I know Mom didn't tell you to drink my schnapps. So there!
And I thought it was me, when it's really Cray's fault

I'm taking the schnapps you get the birdy (http://carrienotthekindofgirlyoudmarry.files.wordpress.co m/2011/03/schnapps.jpg), I'm generous that way.

And Mom did so, I am her favorite.

stormie
12-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Maybe I'd better put away the schnapps now, huh. :D (In response to this something or other malicious thingie happening on this not-holiday-celebrating thread.)
Thanks for checking in, SK.

And DL--I'm still tellin'! Favorite or not.

Silver King
12-22-2011, 05:37 AM
If I could, I'd park Katho in the Holidays and Special Occasions room and leave her there until after the first of the year.

stormie
12-22-2011, 05:40 AM
And here I put away my schnapps back into the freezer.

Silver King
12-22-2011, 05:46 AM

You're welcome.

BTW, someone experienced a similar issue that was discussed here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231981) in Tech Help recently.

(I used to run Avast also but have found Microsoft's Security Essentials to be superior in almost every way. Plus, it's free.)

DL Hegel
12-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Maybe I'd better put away the schnapps now, huh. :D (In response to this something or other malicious thingie happening on this not-holiday-celebrating thread.)

And DL--I'm still tellin'! Favorite or not.

<sticks out tongue>

Go ahead, but I won't share my watermelon pucker with you. And Mom will let Cray baby sit us, and no one wants that.

Especially Cray.

KellyAssauer
12-22-2011, 06:29 AM
mmmm schnapps!
that would go so well with Nut bread.

Coincidence you say?

Tomorrow just so happens to be
National Nut Bread Day?

Really?

I didn't know.

cray
12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
feb 18 is national battery day. (http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/February/batteryday.htm)
it might be a nice gesture if we could keep this thread going until then.
http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/153_national_battery_day_02-18_animated.gif

just sayin'

:hi: silver king!

Lavern08
12-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Who hasn't seen cray?

if you know what I mean...

Yep,

He's just a hunka-hunka burnin' love. ;)

stormie
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Yep,

He's just a hunka-hunka burnin' love. ;)
Whoa--a battery! And an expired one at that! :ROFL:

Don't worry, though, cray, someone will celebrate National Battery Day. I like celebrating.

aadams73
12-23-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm going to be all contrary and annoying (sorry!), which pains me because I hate Christmas threads when they're started months early.

But

OP's kinda slow these days. We used to have all kinds of cool, weird, and just plain interesting threads here, including--yes--holiday threads. There was more of a sense of fun and community.

But we've got so many subforums now that things are diluted. It's great, on an organizational level, but not so much on a community level. Things are pretty fractured. There are still a lot of posters who just visit a particular group of subforums, rather than checking "New posts" to see what's going on.

The end result is that a lot of interesting threads never get seen. Fun threads that used to be in OP are now in other subforums, behind passwords, in the case of Conquering Challenges, or shunted off to the sidelines (like Special Occasions). Remember when we used to have reams of people wishing others a happy birthday? That was nice.

I dunno. I feel like something has been lost. Maybe it's just me.

*Shrug*

rhymegirl
12-23-2011, 09:23 PM
If I could, I'd park Katho in the Holidays and Special Occasions room and leave her there until after the first of the year.

And I'd be very happy there. ;)

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
Love to sit on Santa's lap in a one horse open sleigh.

stormie
12-24-2011, 04:20 AM
First, rhymegirl, have you been getting into the schnapps I have in the freezer? It's down by a quart and 3/4s, and I KNOW I only drank, uh...never mind.

aadams--I think what's happened over the years is that the AW community has gotten very, very large, which is nice because we have people from all over the world and from all walks of life and all levels of the writing profession. But, it does come with its drawbacks.

Way back in about '01, when Jenna began AW, I was one of the first here. It was so small it was only a few threads under the general threads of screenwriting, nonfiction, and fiction. We could post anywhere about anything. But now we're up to a gazillion wonderful members with a gazillion + threads. And with birthdays, I'm missing many because there are so many and I'm not on here (seriously!) 24/7,though many beg to differ, including my long-suffering family.

Now I'm off to see if I still live in this house or if my family has given up on me. :)

ETA: How in the world did that little worried face get up into the title part? I didn't put it there! I swear! Uh oh.

Silver King
12-24-2011, 06:11 AM
One of the reasons we created the Holidays and Special Occasions subforum is because we had too many birthday threads that cluttered Office Party and crowded out other discussions that struggled to gain a foothold on the opening pages of this room.

The same was true when major holidays approached and members felt compelled to start numerous threads that were similar.

The Special Occasions room is a haven for those who would like to celebrate whatever holiday they desire, as often as they please, while keeping Office Party relatively free from repetitious topics.

I agree that Office Party used to be a more robust room. The biggest decrease in activity I've noticed happened when the forum link was dropped from the top of the main menu to near the bottom some time ago. The change was swift and dramatic. Quite a few members who were used to hanging out here have stayed on, yet there has been a noticeable lack of new blood since the room has lost its higher visibility.

I wonder sometimes whether I should be doing more to help elevate Office Party and bring more traffic here. But I've always been of the opinion that the less I do, the better. I post here and there but try mostly to stay in the background so folks will feel free to express their thoughts without wondering whether I'm looking over their shoulder at every turn.

I'm very pleased that aadams has expressed her feelings here, which gives us a chance to discuss her thoughts further. And hopefully others will feel welcome to share their opinions as well.

DL Hegel
12-24-2011, 06:13 AM
<Decorates the thread in tinsel and steals Stormie's schnapps.>

stormie
12-24-2011, 06:21 AM
I post here and there but try mostly to stay in the background so folks will feel free to express their thoughts without wondering whether I'm looking over their shoulder at every turn.
Then who is it looking over my shoulder.... Uh-oh.
*stormie reaches for bottle of Rumpleminz schnapps before DL gulps it down*

DL Hegel
12-24-2011, 06:30 AM
<hiccup>

Time to send the designated driver for more schnapps.
Where is Cray?

Cella
12-24-2011, 06:51 AM
I wish I could post in Silver King's thread every night.

Put me down for some schnapps, DL, if for no other reason than it's probably more fun to say after I've had some....

MacAllister
12-24-2011, 06:54 AM
There's a nasty head cold going around P&CE. I think Williebee brought it in.

Don't mind me. I'll just sit over here in the corner with my festive glass of Nyquil, trying not to breathe on anyone. Have a holly jolly Christmas, everyone!

Alessandra Kelley
12-24-2011, 06:55 AM
I've got the nasty head cold. Can't talk or sing carols, communicating with my husband and kids with whispers and sign language. They've been great, but my sinuses hurt.

Fortunately, I can still post. :D

MacAllister
12-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Would you like some nyquil? I've brought an extra bottle to share around. Schnapps are for weenies.

Don Evan Scott
12-24-2011, 07:00 AM
I put too much rum in my coke.

Happy Christmas Eve Eve :)

Susie
12-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Happy holly-daze y'all and stay safe 'n happy, k. No getting sick! :Hug2:s 'n :Cake:s 'o course!

rhymegirl
12-24-2011, 07:22 AM
I wonder sometimes whether I should be doing more to help elevate Office Party and bring more traffic here. But I've always been of the opinion that the less I do, the better. I post here and there but try mostly to stay in the background so folks will feel free to express their thoughts without wondering whether I'm looking over their shoulder at every turn.

Why don't you do one of those Full Monty dances for us? That might bring in more traffic. :)

I'm very pleased that aadams has expressed her feelings here, which gives us a chance to discuss her thoughts further. And hopefully others will feel welcome to share their opinions as well.

I think she made some very good points. It's funny because I was thinking some of the same things as I was scrolling around today. It seems as if we have lost some of the members who used to post in Office Party. I think they have moved over to the Humor Board or elsewhere around AW.

DL Hegel
12-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Happy Holidays Mac, feel better soon!

Merry Xmas Suse!

<puts up holiday lights and promises not to sing>

MacAllister
12-24-2011, 07:27 AM
http://absolutewrite.com/wordpress/var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/uploads//2011/12/christmas_tree.gif

Cella
12-24-2011, 07:31 AM
But I've always been of the opinion that the less I do, the better. I post here and there but try mostly to stay in the background so folks will feel free to express their thoughts without wondering whether I'm looking over their shoulder at every turn.

I dunno, when I see Silver King, I just usually think, "Oh, good! There's SK!" not, "oh, bummer...there's a mod."

So don't stay away, SK!

:)

This goes for all the mods, too.

GAH!!!
Mac's here!
*runs*

rhymegirl
12-24-2011, 07:39 AM
At any rate, I'm glad there's a Christmas Party going on in here.

Who's serving the drinks?

Don Evan Scott
12-24-2011, 07:46 AM
*passes out a round of Pissed Off Japanese Minnow Farmers.

It's a real drink, look it up...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Then who is it looking over my shoulder.... Uh-oh.

That would be... me! BOO!

Would you like some nyquil? I've brought an extra bottle to share around. Schnapps are for weenies.

Pfft. NyQuil. Amateur.

Equal parts fresh lemon juice, whiskey, and good honey. You can drink more of it than you can drink of NyQuil; it tastes WAY better... AND it does the same thing. :)

KellyAssauer
12-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Silver King's Official AW Office Christmas Party Thread

:ROFL:

MacAllister
12-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Pfft. NyQuil. Amateur.

Equal parts fresh lemon juice, whiskey, and good honey. You can drink more of it than you can drink of NyQuil; it tastes WAY better... AND it does the same thing. :)

I've been doing that, too. But with a healthy pinch of cayenne pepper mixed in, too.

Cliff Face
12-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Ack! Stay away from me with your head colds! I've been feeling like I'm coming down with something for almost 24 hours. :(

It's Christmas in about 3.5 hours where I am. ;) *joins the holiday party*

Gah. I quit drinking about a month ago, but now that it's Christmas Eve and I see y'all having schnapps and pissed off Japanese whatevers, it makes my resolve waver.

And like with my smoking addiction, there's a place where I can buy liquor 5 minutes' walk from my house. And I have money from work...

Ack.

Alessandra Kelley
12-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Thanks, Mac, very kind but, um ...

Ack! Stay away from me with your head colds! I've been feeling like I'm coming down with something for almost 24 hours. :(

It's Christmas in about 3.5 hours where I am. ;) *joins the holiday party*

Gah. I quit drinking about a month ago, but now that it's Christmas Eve and I see y'all having schnapps and pissed off Japanese whatevers, it makes my resolve waver.

And like with my smoking addiction, there's a place where I can buy liquor 5 minutes' walk from my house. And I have money from work...

Ack.

Yar, well, I have a confession to make.

(I don't drink.)

Not for any moral, religious, or philosophical reasons. I just loathe the taste of alcohol. It's vile, at least to my tastebuds. And when I have imbibed I got this weird feeling of floaty dissociation which I don't like at all. As for medicinal stuff, I stopped taking even Sudafed years ago because it made me feel so funny.

So it's not everybody drinking. I didn't bring it up because I didn't wish to interfere with people's harmless enjoyment. But (shrug) there are lots of ways to celebrate.

Wayne K
12-24-2011, 07:57 PM
:popcorn:

aadams73
12-24-2011, 08:17 PM
aadams--I think what's happened over the years is that the AW community has gotten very, very large, which is nice because we have people from all over the world and from all walks of life and all levels of the writing profession. But, it does come with its drawbacks.

One of the reasons we created the Holidays and Special Occasions subforum is because we had too many birthday threads that cluttered Office Party and crowded out other discussions that struggled to gain a foothold on the opening pages of this room.

The same was true when major holidays approached and members felt compelled to start numerous threads that were similar.

And I agree with you both: it was overwhelming at times. To be honest, I'm not sure how to fix the problem--if there's even a problem to be fixed.

I agree that Office Party used to be a more robust room. The biggest decrease in activity I've noticed happened when the forum link was dropped from the top of the main menu to near the bottom some time ago. The change was swift and dramatic.

Ha! See, I rarely look at the main menu, unless I'm looking for something specific, so I had no idea it had moved down the list.

Go for it. Let's face it, anyone who's even remotely adult probably doesn't look at mods as the fun police. I don't, and most days I'm thirty-eight going on twelve. :D

Undercover
12-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Silver King? Don't you mean Silver Bells? haha

DL Hegel
12-24-2011, 08:39 PM
:popcorn:

<steals Wayne's popcorn and strings it.> :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-25-2011, 12:28 AM
I've been doing that, too. But with a healthy pinch of cayenne pepper mixed in, too.

NOW you're talkin'! Mom used to make a tea with cayenne and whiskey for cramps... I thought she was just using them as an excuse to whip up a hot toddy.

Cliff Face
12-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Well, I resisted the urge to buy any alcohol last night (yay) but first thing grandad said to me when we got here for Christmas was, "Oh, I opened that bottle of red you got me for my birthday. Do you want to try some?"

I only had 2 sips' worth, but that's the first alcohol I've had in over a month. And it tasted gooooooood!

So everyone who likes to drink, have some on me, and everyone else, let's do coffee. ;)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Wayne K
12-25-2011, 08:56 AM
:e2shower:

SinisterCola
12-25-2011, 09:34 AM
*crashes the party in his underwear and a Santa Hat*

HEY YOU GUYS!

*falls flat on his face*

MaryMumsy
12-25-2011, 09:40 AM
HO HO HO! to you all. An entire bottle of Cab Sav just for me. No one else like red, and it helped me tolerate the MIL for the evening.

MM

AbielleRose
12-25-2011, 09:43 AM
NOW you're talkin'! Mom used to make a tea with cayenne and whiskey for cramps... I thought she was just using them as an excuse to whip up a hot toddy.

:eek: I'm gonna have to try this!

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you're all having a good holiday and not getting *too* tipsy.

Just kidding on the tipsy part *passes around eggnog*

BeatrixKiddo
12-25-2011, 10:09 AM
This time of year, it helps to be reminded that we have a room for holiday threads located here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203).

Please let's keep our holiday-themed discussions in that forum.

Thank you.

The irony is, this thread is now longer then all the holiday threads started in that forum so far. Ha, take that other holiday threads!

Cliff Face
12-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Go non-holiday thread, go! :D