PDA

View Full Version : Netipot Warning!

Shadow_Ferret
12-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Brain eating amoeba? (http://blogs.webmd.com/breaking-news/2011/12/brain-eating-amoeba-in-neti-pots.html)

Supposedly 2 people have died using tap water. WTF?

I know many here use them, so I thought I'd pass this on.

scarletpeaches
12-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I told you Smirnoff was safer.

cray
12-20-2011, 06:09 PM
http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/1299775119_pouring-water-through-nose.gif

Perks
12-20-2011, 06:26 PM
I still do the neti pot every day - just boil the water first.

KellyAssauer
12-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Come to Marcellus shale country if you want really good water...

Right Blinky?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/pms247_365/blinky.gif

Ambrosia
12-20-2011, 07:03 PM
The neti pot use didn't kill the people. The brain eating bacteria in the tap water killed the people. Seems to me it is a water treatment issue, not a neti pot issue.

I told you Smirnoff was safer.

You use Smirnoff in your neti pot? Seems like a waste to me...

Perks
12-20-2011, 07:04 PM
You use Smirnoff in your neti pot? Seems like a waste to me...

You should see her go. Like Old Faithful, I tell you.

rhymegirl
12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah, it's really the water, not the neti pot.

Don't a lot of people put their head under the water in the shower and let the water run into their ears and nostrils?

tjwriter
12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
My mom and dad were talking about this with me the other day. My mom wondered if the salt you are supposed add would kill the amoeba. I postulated that someone accidentally getting water up their nose while showering could suffer the same fate.

Susan Littlefield
12-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Of course it's not the actual neti pot that killed the people. The directions for the neti pot, and even the sinus rinse where you use the bottle, say to either boil water or use distilled water and always add the salt. Directions on my package say not to use water right out of the tap.

I think the different between getting water up your nose in a shower (I am trying to picture that) and using a nostril rinse is the amount of water used.

:)

Perks
12-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Using shower water would hurt like hell. The salt neutralizes the burn of the chlorine. It's weird, but it's essential to get the right about of salt.

Here's my now-infamous-on-AW article on neti pot usage - http://jamiemason.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/the-neti-ambassador/

L.J.
12-20-2011, 09:58 PM
This whole thing bugs me. Why should there be brain eating amoeba in our tap water? I've read that it won't harm you if you drink it, only if you get it up your nose. Does that mean I shouldn't let my daughter sit in the bathtub anymore 'cause she might get water up her nose? You know how kids play in the bathtub. I think we're living in the dang Twilight Zone.

Shadow_Ferret
12-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes. Yes. It's the tap water, not the netipot. Far to many literalists here. Sheesh. Try to do a public service and everyone yells at you.

I still do the neti pot every day - just boil the water first.
Yeah, thanks. Now I have blisters in my sinuses!

benbradley
12-20-2011, 10:58 PM
I saw a CNN.com article on it here (http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/16/two-dead-in-louisiana-after-unclean-water-used-in-neti-pots/?iref=allsearch), but wasn't sure if it belonged in Office Party or P&CE. The infamous Neti Pot thread(s) have been here in Office Party.

Of course it's not the actual neti pot that killed the people.
That's almost like saying "It wasn't the actual gun that killed 'em, it was the bullet."

The directions for the neti pot, and even the sinus rinse where you use the bottle, say to either boil water or use distilled water and always add the salt. Directions on my package say not to use water right out of the tap.
I can imagine someone getting a neti pot that doesn't include directions, and only know the basic instructions of "you put water in it and pour it into your nose." Thus this story should get out.

I think the different between getting water up your nose in a shower (I am trying to picture that) and using a nostril rinse is the amount of water used.

:)
I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm in the shower my nostrils always point down.

This whole thing bugs me. Why should there be brain eating amoeba in our tap water? I've read that it won't harm you if you drink it, only if you get it up your nose. Does that mean I shouldn't let my daughter sit in the bathtub anymore 'cause she might get water up her nose? You know how kids play in the bathtub. I think we're living in the dang Twilight Zone.
I have some sort of rant here about there being no such thing as absolute safety.

tjwriter
12-20-2011, 11:31 PM
No, but there is truth that people can accidentally send water up there nostrils or small children could stick their heads in the water during a bath or goofing off, end up sucking some water up their nostrils.

It's not just the neti pots, it's all the other ways water could end up in your nose. Especially small children.

Perks
12-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Yeah, thanks. Now I have blisters in my sinuses!Yer a dumbass, but I love you anyway, slinkyrat.

kayleamay
12-21-2011, 01:08 AM
http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/1299775119_pouring-water-through-nose.gif

FWIW, I hate you.

rhymegirl
12-21-2011, 01:17 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm in the shower my nostrils always point down.

Yes, of course, but I'm saying a person CAN deliberately raise her head up and tilt her head and let a little water run into her nostrils.

I'm not a swimmer, but doesn't a little water get in your nose when you swim, too?

cray
12-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Yes, of course, but I'm saying a person CAN deliberately raise her head up and tilt her head and let a little water run into her nostrils.

I'm not a swimmer, but doesn't a little water get in your nose when you swim, too?

not much.
and what does go up there doesn't go up too far.

L.J.
12-21-2011, 01:21 AM

Yep. And when your kid is laying down in the bathtub or splashing around in the tub.

tjwriter
12-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Exactly. It may not be intentional, but it's quite likely to happen with small children, especially. Or someone that may rinse their eyes in the shower, which I do from time to time, if they are feeling particularly irritated from allergies.

Ambrosia
12-21-2011, 02:51 AM

Having accidently done that once when I was much younger--don't. The force of water coming from most shower heads is sufficient to force the water past the barrier from your nasal cavities into your throat. Very uncomfortable. Closest I have ever come to drowning in a shower. Ok. Only time I have ever came close to drowning in a shower. :tongue

Susan Littlefield
12-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes. Yes. It's the tap water, not the netipot. Far to many literalists here. Sheesh. Try to do a public service and everyone yells at you.

Yeah, thanks. Now I have blisters in my sinuses!

Nobody is yelling at you, Shadow Ferret. We are all discussing. :Hug2:

Susan Littlefield
12-21-2011, 07:28 PM
That's almost like saying "It wasn't the actual gun that killed 'em, it was the bullet."

Uh...Ben, how do you figure that? There's a big difference between a gun with bullets and a neti pot with water.

Amadan
12-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Exactly. It may not be intentional, but it's quite likely to happen with small children, especially. Or someone that may rinse their eyes in the shower, which I do from time to time, if they are feeling particularly irritated from allergies.

Exactly. You should never expose small children to water. Or dirt.

Food is also problematic. Meat and vegetables both. People have died from eating that stuff, you know.

Also, did you know there are deadly viruses and bacteria in the air? You should probably keep that away from them too.

tjwriter
12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Actually, the point I was getting at was that the neti pot was unlikely to be the only way to expose oneself to the amoeba. And that children would be quite more likely to expose nasal and eye cavities while bathing than adults.

But if you want to go down that road, more power to you.

L.J.
12-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Actually, the point I was getting at was that the neti pot was unlikely to be the only way to expose oneself to the amoeba. And that children would be quite more likely to expose nasal and eye cavities while bathing than adults.

But if you want to go down that road, more power to you.

I completely agree with you, tj.

Sure, living is hazardous to our health, but who'd ever have thought something as hideous as brain eating amoeba is in our TAP water? It's like something out of a science fiction movie.

If there's not a rest of the story, such as that water in Louisiana being untreated or something, it's a terrifying thought when you think about your children. The idea that something as ordinary as taking a bath could be deadly (of course, we already know it can in drowning if you don't watch your small kids in the bathtub).

Kids splash around in the tub and lay down in the tub. It's not so weird that water gets up their noses sometimes. It happens.

backslashbaby
12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
This must be the same amoeba that causes the warning to not swim in warm water ponds, etc. in the south. How many brain-eating nasties that enter through your nose could there be?

With those, it's something about the water being warm that adds to the chances that you'll encounter the bug. Were these folks on well water?

eta: although I will say that deliberately putting anything up your nose often is honestly probably a bad idea unless you know for sure it's sterile. Being a route in to the brain is a bit of bad design for sinuses ;) That's probably why the area is sensitive enough to discourage that.

L.J.
12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
This must be the same amoeba that causes the warning to not swim in warm water ponds, etc. in the south. How many brain-eating nasties that enter through your nose could there be?

With those, it's something about the water being warm that adds to the chances that you'll encounter the bug. Were these folks on well water?

eta: although I will say that deliberately putting anything up your nose often is honestly probably a bad idea unless you know for sure it's sterile. Being a route in to the brain is a bit of bad design for sinuses ;) That's probably why the area is sensitive enough to discourage that.

That's a good question.

Silver King
12-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Exactly. You should never expose small children to water. Or dirt.

Food is also problematic. Meat and vegetables both. People have died from eating that stuff, you know.

Also, did you know there are deadly viruses and bacteria in the air? You should probably keep that away from them too.
Your sarcasm isn't lost on me, but it should be noted that deadly bacteria in water, dirt, meat, vegetables and air have all contributed to countless deaths in children, as well as adults.

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2011, 09:41 PM
I can imagine someone getting a neti pot that doesn't include directions, and only know the basic instructions of "you put water in it and pour it into your nose." Thus this story should get out.
I don't recall my netipot having such specific instructions as to say I should use boiled or distilled water. I thought it just had a fun history of netipot use. But then, I'm a guy and don't read instructions in the first place.

Before Perks introduced me to the wonders of netipotism, I used the shower, especially when I had a cold, to clear out my sinuses. Yeah, the chlorine stung, but I could breathe afterwards.

benbradley
12-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Before Perks introduced me to the wonders of netipotism, ...
You KNOW I read that as nepotism ...

BeatrixKiddo
12-23-2011, 03:55 AM
I use a neti pot (I also drink tap water and shower, etc) but from what I've heard (after this story broke) that most of us are ok as long as our water is treated, and most of us have treated water that goes through a treatment plant if we're on city water and not well water.

Most water treatment plants dump things like chlorine in the water and that alone kills anything that could be of any threat.

Personally, I ain't that worried about it. If I was on well water or a really rurual area, maybe I would, but I live out the suburbs of Chicago where they dump so much chlorine into the water I can even smell it coming from the tap sometimes.

Alan Yee
12-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm not really that worried. The tap water in my area is pretty clean and treated. I've been using warm tap water with the saline mix and a sinus rinse bottle off-and-on for the past year or so. It really does help reduce sinus pressure and lower the frequency and severity of sinus headaches.

Plus boiling water usually isn't feasible considering I live in a dorm room nine out of twelve months of the year...

poetinahat
12-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Eh, it's always something. Everything gives you cancer anyway. Joe Jackson said so (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDAkmfoAgA) thirty years ago!

(eta: more to the point, anything *can* be dangerous, but so can worrying too much about it)

L.J.
12-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Eh, it's always something. Everything gives you cancer anyway. Joe Jackson said so (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDAkmfoAgA) thirty years ago!

I agree with you on that. :)

In fact, I wrote a poem about that. :D

Hot dogs cause cancer
E-coli in the beef
Tainted food in grocery stores
Seems there's no relief
Mercury in my healthy fish
Arsenic's in the chicken
Mad cow is a scary thing
My body takes a lickin'
Hormones in my plastic bowls
Narcotics in the water