Wanted: The WWII essential reading list

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got this series idea brewing, and if I could pull it off, it would be big. Basically alternate history / fantasy.

My WWII history is, however, pretty piecemeal.

What I'm looking for is everything from books with timelines and analysis of what was going down, and most importantly more personal accounts of the hell and the little things that weren't hell.

Also, I know there is a ton of material out there on Polish, Jewish, etc experiences during WWII, and I know Americans shared a lot of their experiences in the war, but I also want to find accounts of German and Russian experiences: Both fighters and non-fighters (everyone, basically). I tried googling this months ago and got some baffling results.

Books are good, so are websites and blogs. News articles. Anything.

I know there is a website Spielberg helped put together (or film the first few clips for) on accounts from WWII, after filming Schindler's List, but my google fu only shows me that Spielberg had much association with WWII.

(also, any good movies besides Schindler's List would be helpful, come to think of it.)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, back home I have a book called Hausfrau At War, don't recall the author, but it's about a typical German woman's experiences of wartime / Nazi Germany. If that's any help.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. A woman's pov is particularly of interest, so I'll put that on my list.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
There were two theathers of war, Europe and the Pacific. Which are you most interested in?

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Don't overlook unit histories, which often have more personal stories and read Brave Men by Ernie Pyle for some nice stuff in that area too.

Haven't checked but there must be someplace you can access old Army Times and Navy Times newspapers .. I've even found a copy of the WWII Australian version of Army Times.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
WW II alternate histories I loved were, The Worldwar and Colonization series by Harry Turtledove and Fatherland (Get the Rutger Hauer movie too, well worth the watch).

I'm more a movie guy when it comes to war fiction, I highly recommend The Great Escape, Tora Tora Tora and A Bridge too Far for historically (relatively) accurate films.

Vin

Registered
Reaction score
Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945

I just finished "Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945" by Max Hastings. It's the best single volume history of the war that I have come across. It seemed particularly strong to me in two ways: 1) analysis that contradicts popularly accepted ideas about the war, and 2) by including numerous first-person accounts from both military and civilian points of view.

Hastings devotes much of his narrative to the Eastern Front since it is in his view (and mine, for what that's worth) the decisive theater.

"The Forgotten Soldier: The Classic WWII Autobiography" is a purported memoir of a Frenchman serving in the German Army on the Eastern Front. There is some dispute that the writer was truly a veteran of the campaign due to discrepancies in dates, place names and unit identifications, but the work seems to capture the feel of the period if nothing else.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, excellent. Thank you folks. I'm primarily interested in the European aspect, but the Pacific was important as well. If nothing else, the people in that arena had different issues and concerns.

Cheers.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were four books printed that collected Ernie Pyle's newspaper columns. I know that 'Here Is Your War' was set in the Pacific, but at least one was while he was in England.

We used to have a book called 'World War II In Pictures'. It was a large format book, and I think was put out by Life Magazine.

MM

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At Dawn We Slept, Prange

Flight to Arras, A. de Saint-Exupery (highly recommended)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are some WWII documentaries on the PBS website, and some (from the History Channel) on YouTube.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Marching Orders by Bruce Lee - WWII European Theater told through the Allied intercepts of Baron Oshima's reports from Berlin to Tokyo. Very instructive on what the U.S./U.K. knew/didn't know.

The Game of Foxes
by Ladislas Farago- German Military Intelligence's successes and failures during WWII.

The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan - Both an incredible book and movie.

Invasion! They're Coming by Paul Carell - The Normandy invasion told from the German POV.

And if you're looking at the Pacific Theater, there's:

The Rising Sun by John Toland - a two-volume set written immediately after WWII telling the Sino-Japanese War and WWII from the Japanese POV using captured Japanese documents and interviewing Japanese soldiers, government officials and civilians.

And of course, if you have time, The Second World War by Winston Churchill is a great read.

Also, there are some cool web sites for the Winter War (Russo-Finnish War of 1939-40) and other areas usually not covered by the usual histories.

And the Italian-Ethiopian War of 37, and the Somali campaign in WWII. The Yugoslav Partisan/Chechnik war that still echoes through the Balkans to this day, and the India/Burma/Thai/Indochina Theater and . . .

*grin*

Christopher Marcus

Writer of short stories 'n' stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadeofthemorningsun.com
I've been interested in WWII (and WWI) history since I was a teen (which is like, erm, 20 years ago). So I might be able to give you some help, but I would like to ask some more questions about what you are looking for:

1) Will your story take place only at the front? If not, where else - and in which country/ies?

2) Who will be the main characters?

3) Can you hint anything about the plot?

Only answer the questions if you feel like it and only provide as much detail as you feel like, okay?

Chris

P.S. I don't know if you are familiar with

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/index.php - ?

But they have several excellent subforums discussing alternate war history. The most relevant for you would probably be the 'Alternate History discussion: After 1900'-subforum and the 'Alternate History Writers'-subforum.

They are a pretty tough bunch in there, who will tell you in no uncertain terms if you step over the line so make sure you read all the stickies before you post something in the wrong place.

I've also noted that the reception to simple questions about a scenario is warmer if the post shows that the author has done some homework first, and doesn't just blurt out: 'Hey - what do you think would happen if Hitler won?'

Anyway, if you are already set on writing some form of AH I would not be surprised if you were already roaming that forum :)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Pop down to...

genres and look in Historical. There's a sticky - 5th down on the board - called Resources by Era. Apart from a lot of useful sources like newspapers etc there is also a section on WWII with urls, books etc.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
There is quite a lot written about the sieges of Leningrad and Stalingrad. In the case of the latter, Enemy at the Gates is the story of a (real) Russian sniper (Vasily Zaitsev) and is both a book and a film (and not a bad one at that).

Das Boot is a german book (and TV adaption) about a U-boat crew. It presents a different perspective on their role and the TV version is excellent. Although fictional, it was carefully researched and has been regarded as an accurate representation.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You folks are awesome :)

(and sorry for the lack of reps-iphone limits)

1) Will your story take place only at the front? If not, where else - and in which country/ies? Not just the front. For me, the non-combat aspects are the most... compelling? And I'm focused on the people from many countries, primarily Europe. The different sides and experiences are what interest me. I want to research and then write what comes, then worry about fitting something into a novel or it being a short or whatever. Mostly I want to explore different human experiences and consequences of being affected by the war, and how different people reacted.

Basically, I'm still early in and flexible. I want the research for the facts and the inspiration.

2) Who will be the main characters? Dunno yet. I have one young magic user now. I want pseudo Polish/Russian/German povs as well, at a minimum. I'm considering all female MCs- maybe. I have vague ideas for other cast members.

3) Can you hint anything about the plot?

Invading countries are persecuting for religious, magic, and other reasons. One story is about a magic user taken to a work camp and becoming distanced from her friends emotionally. (I shouldnt be mentioning much this week for a particular reason, sorry)

Last edited:

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Two of my must-reads concern the "other" side of the war. Heinz Hohne's Order of the Death's Head looks at the SS. While it's a thick book, he covers a lot of ground fast. It looks at the SS from the 1930s through to 1945 and shows how complex & contradictory an organization it was having grown from Nazi party fiefdoms, street-fighting organizations, Prussian & Bavarian bureaucracies, foreign volunteers & assorted oddments.

The other is John Tolland's The Rising Sun (which Richard White mentions), which tells WWII from the Japanese point of view. It's a pretty sprawling book (two volumes in fact) covering everything from the policy debates in the Japanese government, analysis of US foreign policy, to anecdotes from front-line troops.

Cornelius Ryan's books, The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far are superb put-you-in-the-firing-line journalistic accounts of D-Day and Market Garden. SLA Marshall has a huge reputation as a front-line chronicler, but I think there's a certain amount of dissent from his view-points.

I've read a fair bit of German fiction on WWII. Wili Heinrich's Cross of Iron & Crack of Doom, the whole Gunner Asch series, and a lot of Sven Hassel. Dunno if that helps.

Josef Skvorecky fictionalized some of his experiences as a Czech in a German aircraft factory during WWII in An Engineer of Human Souls (may not work as source material, but it's a fantastic read!).

This is the sort of thread that I enjoy. Now I'm going to obsess over just the right WWII reading list. It beats working.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I recommend reading War of the Rats by David L. Robbins. It's a WWII novel written from the POVs of several different characters, including Churchill, if I remember correctly. Also a couple of Russian soldiers and a woman or two.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I work in a middle school library, and we have a list of YA novels for the kids to pick from for the WWII unit. Here's the list. I know these are YA, and fiction, but they are all well written and offer an array of different perspectives.
Novel Study Selections These titles revolve around children and teens during the war years. The settings are primarily a home front whether in the U.S., England, France, Burma, or Italy. All of the main characters face loss, challenges and obstacles brought on by the war or complicated by it.
On the Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck
A boy in Illinois remembers the home front years of World War II, especially his two heroes--his brother in the Air Force and his father, who fought in the previous war.
This book is also a selection of the ALA/NEH We The People Bookshelf.
Don’t You Know There’s a War On? by Avi
In wartime Brooklyn in 1943, eleven-year-old Howie Crispers mounts a campaign to save his favorite teacher from being fired.
For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy
by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
Despite the horrors of World War II, a French teenager pursues her dream of becoming an opera singer, which takes her to places where she gains information about what the Nazis are doing--information that the French Resistance needs.
Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages
It is 1943, and 11-year-old Dewey Kerrigan is traveling west on a train to live with her scientist father--but no one will tell her exactly where he is. When she reaches Los Alamos, New Mexico, she learns why: he's working on a top secret government program.
Don’t Talk to Me About the War by David A. Adler
In 1940, thirteen-year-old Tommy's routine of school, playing stickball in his Bronx, New York, neighborhood, talking with his friend Beth, and listening to Dodgers games on the radio changes as his mother's illness and his increasing awareness of the war in Europe transform his world.
Elephant Run by Roland Smith
Nick endures servitude, beatings, and more after his British father's plantation in Burma is invaded by the Japanese in 1941, and when his father and others are taken prisoner and Nick is stranded with his friend Mya, they plan a daring escape on elephants, risking their lives to save Nick's father and Mya's brother from a Japanese prisoner of war camp.
I Had Seen Castles by Cynthia Rylant
Now an old man, John is haunted by memories of enlisting to fight in World War II, a decision which forced him to face the horrors of war and changed his life forever.
Blue by Joyce Hostetter
When teenager Ann Fay takes over as "man of the house" for her absent soldier father, she struggles to keep the family and herself together in the face of personal tragedy and the 1940s polio epidemic in North Carolina.
Stones in Water by Donna Jo Napoli
After being taken by German soldiers from a local movie theater along with other Italian boys including his Jewish friend, Roberto is forced to work in Germany, escapes into the Ukrainian winter, before desperately trying to make his way back home to Venice.
Weedflower by Cynthia Kodahata
After twelve-year-old Sumiko and her Japanese-American family are relocated from their flower farm in southern California to an internment camp on a Mojave Indian reservation in Arizona, she helps her family and neighbors, becomes friends with a local Indian boy, and tries to hold on to her dream of owning a flower shop.
Thin Wood Walls by David Patnaude
When the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor , Joe Hamada and his family face growing prejudice, eventually being torn away from their home and sent to a relocation camp in California, even as his older brother joins the United States Army to fight in the war.
War Dog by Martin Booth
After her owner is arrested while poaching, Jet is requisitioned by the British Army and sees duty on the beach at Dunkirk, searching for survivors of Germany's bombing raids on English cities, and in Italy at the end of the war.
The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins
by Walter Dean Myers
A seventeen-year-old soldier from central Virginia records his experiences in a journal as his regiment takes part in the D-Day invasion of Normandy and subsequent battles to liberate France.
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors.
The Art of Keeping Cool by Janet Taylor Lisle
In 1942, Robert and his cousin Elliot uncover long-hidden family secrets while staying in their grandparents' Rhode Island town, where they also become involved with a German artist who is suspected of being a spy.
The Last Mission by Harry Mazer
A bomber crew member at fifteen, Jack Raab has his dreams of heroism ended abruptly when his plane is shot down during a mission, forcing him to bail out behind enemy lines.
The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall
After an air raid, a group of English children find a German machine gun and hide it from the adults who are looking for it.
Slap Your Sides by M. E. Kerr
Life in their Pennsylvania hometown changes for Jubal Shoemaker and his family when his older brother Bud witnesses to his Quaker beliefs by becoming a conscientious objector during World War II.
A Boy At War, A Boy No More & Heroes Don’t Run by Harry Mazer This series follows Adam, a teenage son of a navy officer, from the attack on Pearl Harbor to the Japanese American relocation camps, to war in the Pacific as he deals with his feelings about war, his friendships and his relationship with his father.
B for Buster by Iain Lawrence
In the spring of 1943, sixteen-year-old Kak, desperate to escape his abusive parents, lies about his age to enlist in the Canadian Air Force and soon finds himself based in England as part of a crew flying bombing raids over Germany.
Lily’s Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff
During a summer spent at Rockaway Beach in 1944, Lily's friendship with a young Hungarian refugee causes her to see the war and her own world differently.
Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian
A battered, nine-year-old boy learns to embrace life when he is adopted by an old man in the English countryside during the Second World War.
Homefront by Doris Gwaltney
In 1941 in rural Virginia, twelve-year-old Margaret Ann's fervent desire for a room of her own is thwarted by the arrival of her "perfect" English cousin who, having escaped the London blitz with her mother, is given the coveted room as well as all the care and attention of the rest of the family.
David and the Mighty Eighth
by Marjorie Hodgson Parker
When, during the London Blitz, he and his older sister are evacuated to go live on their grandparents' East Anglia farm, a young English boy finds it difficult to adjust to his new life until the arrival of the pilots and crews of the U.S. Eight Air Force at nearby airfields brings excitement, friendship, and hope for the future.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thank you everyone. Keep them coming!