2011 in review (W1S1, otherwise)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So, peeps, how did 2011 go for you? Did it meet expectations, exceed them? Or did it not quite work out the way you hoped it would? Bare all (but not too much all, if y'know what i mean).

#

For me, 2011 definitely exceeded expectations. In fact, it's been a helter-skelter year from start to finish.

I signed up for W1S1 hoping to recapture the enthusiasm for writing that i'd lost in the year/eighteen months previous. And i have. Yes, there have been months when i've fallen off the wagon, but i've been determined not to let those setbacks get me down.

2011 has seen me sell more stories than any previous year (8). It's seen more stories of mine get published than any year previous (6). It's even seen me start a zine, which has been a rewarding, educational and time-consuming experience.

Has my writing improved as a result of the W1S1 challenge? I think so. In past years, my sale to rejection ratio sat around 1:24, or 4%, that is: 4 sales out of every 100 submissions. Not terrible, considering my submission strategy (top down), but at times disheartening. So far this year my sale to rejection ratio has been 1:6.75, or 13%, that is: 13 sales out of 100 submissions.

Of the 12 stories i've written this year, 4 have already sold, and i've only put one aside as either needing significant reworking or chucking in the bin. That's good progress too, i think.

Between the middle of June and the end of October, i didn't write too much. Busy with the new zine. But i found myself getting crotchety. I needed to write. So in November i jumped back on the W1S1 wagon to enjoy the ride until the end of the year, and into next.

There have still been days this year when i've been sure my writing is complete trash that should never be seen by anyone. But those days have been a lot fewer and farther in between. Not that i think i'm getting overconfident. Just more comfortable with where i am in my writing life. I think that comfort has helped me to improve my writing more quickly than before, too.

Of course, next year i might sell nothing. But hey, as long as i've got perspective and am writing because i enjoy it, then that won't get me down too much.

I've got just over 2 days left before 2 1/2 weeks of vacation. The first few days will be spent madly assembling all the pieces of issue #2 of Comets and Criminals. Then, from Jan 2 to Jan 10, i'll have 9 solid days of writing. I can't wait!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Izz! Those are great stats.

I started this in April. I'd written all my life, but never tried to be published before.

Since then I have written and completed 20 stories.
I have made 91 submissions.
I have received 72 rejections.
I have got 4 acceptances.

I'm pretty damn happy.

I wouldn't have done any of it without W1S1.

Thanks, Peeps :)

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Started W1S1 in August. I've also always been a writer, but never tried for publication, at least not in fiction.
I wrote 10 full stories I sent out for publication.
I had 27 submissions.
15 rejections.
1 acceptance.
8 submissions still pending response.
Plus I wrote and published 8 editorials and 3 arts/living pieces for my university's paper, where I also edit.
And I may add one more story to those submission stats in the next few days.

Overall, I've never felt better about my writing, or my future as a writer. Sure, like Izz said, there are days when I feel like my writing is crap. But in general I'm really proud of my efforts. I'm starting to feel like a real writer, and that I might have a career (in some capacity, be it writing or editing, fiction or non-fiction) in writing.

Incidentally, I also watched the entirety of Arrested Development, like, 15 times, and the first three seasons of Futurama, like, 20 times. Helps me go to sleep. Figured I'd add as long as we're doing year end statistics...:tongue

(also couldn't be happier that I found this forum. it's such great support and so much fun. I wouldn't be doing this without you guys! <3 )

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In 2011 so far I've had:

143 submissions
19 still pending
2 lost/never responded
108 rejections
14 sales
10 stories published (incl. 2 sold in 2010)

So it's an extremely healthy 12% or so? My maths are weak.

Note: This includes only 1 Twitter and 1 Drabblecast sales. Every sale was to paying markets (6 semi-pro, 5 pro-paying and 3 token-paying sales).

I'm very happy with these results. My goal for the year was to sell 10 stories, and I felt even that was overly ambitious.

Looking forward to 2012, though I hope to trade quantity for quality. Will keep trying tougher markets and writing longer, more ambitious stories. I'll still send stuff to token markets I love (like EDF) but only after I've tried many other places. And I will be more aggressive about trying the pro markets before sending to semi-pros as I slowly gain confidence in my written words.

Also, I will totally recycle some of this for an end-of-year blog post :) But I wanna do that on or around Dec 31, so I have precise full-year statistics.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Overall, I've never felt better about my writing, or my future as a writer.
<snip>
(also couldn't be happier that I found this forum. it's such great support and so much fun. I wouldn't be doing this without you guys! <3 )
Yay, Victoria! :hooray::hooray::hooray:

(we're very happy you found this forum, too! :))

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm very happy with these results. My goal for the year was to sell 10 stories, and I felt even that was overly ambitious.
Nicely done, Alex! Those are some booming stats. And way to smash your goals right out of the water :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nicely done, Alex! Those are some booming stats. And way to smash your goals right out of the water :)

Thanks, Sam!

BTW looking at my spreadsheet C&C is responsible for 3 of those Rs. Gonna have to try and crack that market in 2012 :)

KitCat

Registered
Reaction score
All of you sound like you're doing great :)

Since I just started in W1S1 (don't even have my logo on yet lol) at the end of Nov. there's not much for me to look back on:

Finished: 3
Subbed: 3
Pending: 3, 1 of those is in the next round of eval.
Started 4 new stories, one of those should be ready to go out by the end of Dec.

Those stats add to just 3 (2 rejections) that I'd done before joining W1S1.

I'd written stories since I was a pre-teen but it wasn't until August that me and my (sometimes smarter) other half were talking about what jobs I could go after when the 4 yr old goes to school and he just popped up and said that he didn't know why I wasn't trying to get published with all the writing I do.

It took me almost 2 full days to hit the "post" button on my intro to AW. That was August. It took until the end of Nov to find and work up the nerve to ask to join W1S1 with you all. Reading and replying to everyone's news here helped and still helps greatly to find my footing in actually trying to go about writing as a serious option :) So thank you for that.

I hope to have an even better next year, hopefully one that involves not so many crickets lol

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It took me almost 2 full days to hit the "post" button on my intro to AW. That was August. It took until the end of Nov to find and work up the nerve to ask to join W1S1 with you all. Reading and replying to everyone's news here helped and still helps greatly to find my footing in actually trying to go about writing as a serious option :) So thank you for that.
Aww. *giant hugs* :) We're glad you found the courage to join up KitCat, and to start subbing your writing. :) :hooray:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
So, peeps, how did 2011 go for you? Did it meet expectations, exceed them? Or did it not quite work out the way you hoped it would?

2011 neatly managed to cover both ends of the spectrum from great to craptastic for me. I wrote 9 new stories (one of them finished about two hours ago) ranging from 25 words to 20,000 words. This year was the first time I've ever tried flash. I sold 6 stories, including my first pro sale, and two personal favorites to the same NZ zine. All in all I've made 18 subs this year, am still waiting to hear on 2, and will probably have at least one more sub and a few more rejections before the year is finally put to rest. I also got a lot of solid work done on my novel, although I'd hoped to finish it. And I did almost all of it with a never-ending, sometimes literally blinding headache and a serious dent in my short term memory, thanks to an incompetent teen driver and post-concussion syndrome. So yeah, it was a good year, but it was a real struggle to make it so. I'm hoping 2012 sees more stories, more sales, and an end to this @&#$! headache.

2011 has seen me sell more stories than any previous year (8). It's seen more stories of mine get published than any year previous (6). It's even seen me start a zine, which has been a rewarding, educational and time-consuming experience.
That sounds like an awesome year to me!

Plus I wrote and published 8 editorials and 3 arts/living pieces for my university's paper, where I also edit.

The Collegian? If so I wish I'd known, I'd have picked up a copy!

Another set of great stats, btw.

14 sales
10 stories published

14 sales is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats!

Since I just started in W1S1 (don't even have my logo on yet lol) at the end of Nov. there's not much for me to look back on:
Finished: 3

For having started less than a month ago, 3 is a really good number. I've had entire years where I've finished less than that. Glad you're here among us, and I hope we all see fewer crickets in 2012 :)

Last edited:

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Since late July, I have...

• Completed 29 short stories. Five of these were flash fictions posted for free on my blog as part of various writer challenges. The rest are all out on submission.
  • Worked on (but not completed) nine other short stories. There's a mixture here of stories out for beta, first draft WIPs, and a couple of "in limbo" items.
  • Made 93 submissions. If I counted correctly, 68 of these are to markets which pay pro "per-word" rates or a flat rate where the length of my story would work out to pro rates.
  • Received 58 rejections and two acceptances (One flash, one "tweet"-length). 30 are still open subs. Three are "other" (market closed, editor change, author withdrawal). All to paying markets except the "author withdrawal" one.
  • Collected positive personal rejections from three pro-rate markets: EQMM, DSF (twice) and Penumbra.
  • Completed a first draft of a (shortish) novel during NaNoWriMo.
  • Blogged extensively about writing.
  • Made a heck of a lot of internet writing friends on places like Twitter and here.
I'd call it a good year. I'm hoping that 2012 has more progress on the "sales" front.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So yeah, it was a good year, but it was a real struggle to make it so. I'm hoping 2012 sees more stories, more sales, and an end to this @&#$! headache.
Well done, you, for battling on through that nastiness. Here's something i like to call a hugray: :Hug2::hooray:

I'd call it a good year. I'm hoping that 2012 has more progress on the "sales" front.
Definitely a good year. That's incredible production! :)

KitCat

Registered
Reaction score
Aww. *giant hugs* :) We're glad you found the courage to join up KitCat, and to start subbing your writing. :) :hooray:
aw thanks, Izz :)

And zanzjan thanks :) Sorry to hear about the headache and i hope it goes away soon, for all of that you did great!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are all awesome. I don't think I'd be anywhere near as far along in my progress since I stared writing had it not been for the support, advice and camaraderie of everyone on this forum.

KitCat: Glad you found the courage to join up and I hope you find the experience as fulfilling and useful as I have.

zanzjan: Sorry to hear about having to overcome the headaches. Hope you fully recover very soon! And, clearly, the pain hasn't thwarted you from writing great stuff.

Michael: As someone who's now read a number of your stories I can tell you that those pro sales aren't far off. Keep plugging at it!

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Look at all of those awesome stats! I've said it before, but I'll say it again: this community rocks!

I joined up in June, but the stats below reflect what I did for the entire year, not just during W1S1:

- Wrote and finished 12 new stories 4 poems

- 4 stories currently in draft

- 110 submissions (fiction and poetry)

- 91 rejections (23 personal, 68 form)

- 15 pending response

- 4 acceptances (Niteblade, Linger Fiction, Bards & Sages, Fantastique Unfettered)

- Finished first draft of my 92k novel "Dr. Fantastic's Prestidigitator."

Huh, I'm actually pleased with myself right now. lol For 2012 though, I want to do even more!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
You guys are all awesome. I don't think I'd be anywhere near as far along in my progress since I stared writing had it not been for the support, advice and camaraderie of everyone on this forum.
Right backatcha, buddy!

Huh, I'm actually pleased with myself right now. lol For 2012 though, I want to do even more!
Magnificent stuff, Brenda! Bring on the moar in 2012! :hooray:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I started writing properly in May this year. Since then my stats are:

Written 15 stories
87 Submitted
25 Pending
58 Rejections
4 withdrawn/lost etc
0 Acceptances

So all in all a bit depressing as no sales yet.

But I'm not going to give up yet, the following extra facts keep me going in lean times...

21 of my 58 r's have been encouraging personals or higher tier. rejection.
I have only subbed to pro or challenging semi-pros so far.

Hmmm... Fingers crossed for 2012!

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

Absolutely agreed! Though I'm new to this forum, it's now one of my most-frequent places to visit on the internet.

Michael: As someone who's now read a number of your stories I can tell you that those pro sales aren't far off. Keep plugging at it!

Thank you, Alex!

I'm actually pleased with myself right now.

You should be! That's a productive year. And I didn't realize that you wrote/subbed poetry, too. Cool!

21 of my 58 r's have been encouraging personals or higher tier. rejection.
I have only subbed to pro or challenging semi-pros so far.

Awesome! Keep it up. That's a nice ratio.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
More stats...

Of the 24 subbed stories, 18 were spec-fic of one variety or another, five were mysteries, one was non-genre/general/literary.

Length:

• Under 100 words - 1
  • 100-499 words - 3 (all originally for the AHMM Mysterious Photograph contest)
  • 500-999 words - 4
  • 1000-1999 words - 3
  • 2000-2999 words - 8
  • 3000-4999 words - 4
  • 5000+ words - 1

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
You all put me to shame! :)

This was more or less my first year of subbing stories (sent one out twice in December of last year). I wrote twelve stories, sold two, only one of which was written this year, and managed a grand total of 25 subs over the course of the year, five of which are still out.

No flash for me. The shortest was 2K, the longest 15K, and most fell in at a hard to sell 7K.

More than anything, it's been a year with a steep learning curve. I know I don't post here much, but I do lurk, and for a lonely writer sitting in the middle of a bunch of pine trees and scribbling away, it's meant a lot to have you all here. You're all spectacular, and I hope 2012 brings you all more sales than you can stand.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
You all put me to shame! :)

This was more or less my first year of subbing stories (sent one out twice in December of last year). I wrote twelve stories, sold two, only one of which was written this year, and managed a grand total of 25 subs over the course of the year, five of which are still out.

No shame here. That's 25 subs more than a lot of would-be writers. Well done!

I hope 2012 brings you all more sales than you can stand.

To you as well.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
This year has been pretty productive.

Written: 21 brand, spankin' new stories (plus another 10 complete rewrites)
Submitted: 75 \(well, about 27 stories submitted multiple times)
Sold: 6 (1 pro, 1 semi-pro, 4 token)
Accepted (non-paying markets): 8
Published: 12

In addition, after a 8 month hiatus from the novel-of-doom (which has been a WIP since 2008) I got nearly 16k new words written, bringing me about half-way through the book. I also made a lot of progress in sorting out some finicky plot points that had been more than vague in the previous draft.

I've also thoroughly kicked my "not-good-enough-for-that-market" complex.

All in all, despite a lot of RL ups and downs, it's been a very good year. I hope to make next year even better.