PDA

View Full Version : Hello,Y'all!

Kitty27
12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Hey,guys.

I decided to make this thread a place where we can introduce ourselves,discuss whatever genres we're working on or just talk.

I'll go first.

I am Black,lol. I write horror,science fiction,urban&epic fantasy,young adult,paranormal romance and also read all of them. On days when I feeling particularly egoistical, I dabble in literary erotica and even though I have the artistic talent of a two year old playing with markers,create graphic novels and a never ending manga.

I am currently querying a YA novel and getting ready to send five more out next month.

I have always said that I'd be available to answer questions and if anyone wants to ask,let me know.

Regards,

Kitty

shaldna
12-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Awesome. Thanks for opening this one, I think it will be a really useful forum for all of us.

CaroGirl
12-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Holy cow. It just took me 5 minutes to figure out what POC stands for! I guess this isn't a forum for me, but I'd love to check in and read the posts for an alternative perspective.

missesdash
12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Wow Kitty I can't believe you set out chocolate muffins in the POC forum! I am very offended you assumed POC only eat chocolate muffins! I also like Asian and Hispanic muffins!

Jk. This board is great. I can't wait to see what kind of interesting topics we end up discussing :)

Also wondering if we shouldn't share some links about derailing? I think a lot of well meaning people will come to discussions just to say "oh well that happens to everyone! I'm white and that happens to me all the time!"

Just a thought.

Mara
12-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Wow! I'm so glad this forum exists now. :) I'm not a person of color, but it's clearly something there was a great need for.

aruna
12-19-2011, 07:04 PM
So this room just opened today? At first I thought I was late to the party, as ever!

BunnyMaz
12-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Awesome! Thanks for setting this up.

Mr Flibble
12-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Awesome. Thanks for opening this one, I think it will be a really useful forum for all of us.

I concur. I may have to formulate those questions that have been bugging me...

kuwisdelu
12-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but so does this include brown, red, and yellow?

MacAllister
12-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Yep. It does.

kuwisdelu
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Cool. :)

Kuwi, half-red.

Velma deSelby Bowen
12-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Excellent! Thank you for setting this up. The rules seem totally reasonable.

Might it be possible, she asked ever so casually, for this forum to be used in part for beta readers and showing work when one is trying not to be particular forms of thoughtless? (I ask this as someone who is writing a paranormal romance with a Hispanic heroine, and who has hit the "you cannot make her a generic Latina and expect to get away with it" stage.)

missesdash
12-19-2011, 11:41 PM
I think a thread for willing betas who are POC could help. But I think using the forum as a "ask a POC" and "Find a POC" would get old pretty quickly.

Might be better to let people volunteer.

escritora
12-19-2011, 11:54 PM
(I ask this as someone who is writing a paranormal romance with a Hispanic heroine, and who has hit the "you cannot make her a generic Latina and expect to get away with it" stage.)

Do people offer a reason she can't be a generic Latina?

Maryn
12-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Am I the only person who scratched her head extensively before figuring out what PoC means? I got there, but it was slow. I think the board's a great idea, but I worry that other people won't recognize what it is, either. Perhaps I'm just old and out of touch (moi?) but I've found that when the 'obvious' isn't obvious to me and I speak up, I learn it's not obvious to others, either. Too. Whatever.

Maryn, not always clueless, honest!

thebloodfiend
12-20-2011, 01:15 AM
And here I was thinking this would never see the light of day. Nice!

dragonangel517
12-20-2011, 01:29 AM
I think this is a great idea. I actually have a few questions I have wanted to ask a PoC, but I do not know anyone in RL or online that I could have a serious conversation with without them thinking I was being racist. Certainly no one who writes fantasy. The same is true of LGBT. Being a white woman from the South comes with its own misconceptions.

thebloodfiend
12-20-2011, 01:32 AM
I think this is a great idea. I actually have a few questions I have wanted to ask a PoC, but I do not know anyone in RL or online that I could have a serious conversation with without them thinking I was being racist. Certainly no one who writes fantasy. The same is true of LGBT. Being a white woman from the South comes with its own misconceptions.

This is exactly why I wanted this thread when the topic came up earlier this year.

I lived in Birmingham, various parts of Florida, and Fort Worth for a while. I'm also black and I have a variety of hispanic friends. I'd be glad to answer any of your questions.

God, this sounds like a resume.

dragonangel517
12-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Ok, so I am going to put my pinkie toe in the shallow end of the pool. As A PoC, do you only read books with PoC MC's? Do you read books with no Poc's at all, or only a few background characters?

escritora
12-20-2011, 01:58 AM
Ok, so I am going to put my pinkie toe in the shallow end of the pool. As A PoC, do you only read books with PoC MC's? Do you read books with no Poc's at all, or only a few background characters?

I favor books where the culture of the character is a part of the story. It doesn't have to be a huge part, a small mention is fine. Whether the character is Italian, Jewish, Hispanic, black, or fill in the blank. When a book cover screams *rich or middle class "white"* I pass unless the book is recommended by someone I know.

*I fear I'm stepping into it by writing that. I mean no offense. I realize what I consider "white" isn't universal.

alessahinlo
12-20-2011, 02:02 AM

Nope. I'll read any book as long as it strikes my fancy and sounds interesting (to me).

That said, I DO actively seek out books featuring nonwhite characters (especially protags!), especially if they're written by PoC authors and especially especially if they're set in areas not commonly seen in fiction (Africa, Southeast Asia, etc). I'm more likely to put it on my list of books to pick up, if that makes sense?

thebloodfiend
12-20-2011, 02:02 AM

I read anything, regardless of race. I do get annoyed when I read books that have an illogical 100% white population (books that take place in the south (especially alabama or mississippi) that have no PoC). I would like to see more PoC in books, though.

missesdash
12-20-2011, 02:09 AM
The cover sort of matters to me too. Doubt I would have bothered to read twilight if the cover was 8 white people and a native American. But reading it, the break up didn't bother me.

I don't look for books with PoC, but I find I enjoy the story more when the characters are diverse. It's probably because I lived in New York, but for me a group of all white people will never be as interesting as a mixed group. Culture clashing and influences really adds a richness to a story, and to life in general.

That being said, I don't read books that only have black characters either.

I will also say that for me, there's usually no difference between a book with an all white cast and a book with one supporting character who is a PoC. the character is usually either a distasteful exaggeration of whatever demographic he/she fills or barely exists as anything but a plot device.

So I'd rather read a book with no PoC's than one with a very half-assed attempt to include a non-white person.

dragonangel517
12-20-2011, 02:09 AM
*I fear I'm stepping into it by writing that. I mean no offense. I realize what I consider "white" isn't universal.

None taken. Thanks for the answer.

backslashbaby
12-20-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm so glad some folks are offering up their own description of themselves. Isn't that strange to have to do that? Still, I swear I need some context or I'll go bonkers, myself; just because we're really discussing race. Usually I don't care, except that I find a melange of cultures very appealing, so I may be interested in race that way.

If I have a big weak spot, it's that I may find some things appealingly exotic, imho. I find 'country bumpkins' or Manhattanites nicely exotic, too, though, so don't let that entirely fool you. It's not about skin color.

I'm White. So White. But my mom's parents were both mixed-blood Indians from different tribes. They were from an area with tons of 'Indians' who were mixed in all sorts of ways. The area had three school systems up until more recent times: White, Black and Indian. The Indians could be pale as a ghost. There is a ton of Irish and Scottish blood in the area. There is no reservation. Indians there often have no idea what their own great-grandparents believed about creation stories. It's been a mixed-blood area so long that nobody thought twice about being an Indian without the usual street cred, so to speak.

My grandparents found that in bigger cities, they couldn't get hired. So they moved and passed for White. My mom grew up being shamed for any old lingering give-aways that she was part Indian. This is while my grandparents taught her all the 'cures' and stuff. So it was a bit of a mess.

So that's me. Sooooo white. With grandparents who taught us how silly it was not to believe in spirits, and refused to let my mother put shoes on us as toddlers because we'd grow up tenderfooted.

dragonangel517
12-20-2011, 02:39 AM
So I'd rather read a book with no PoC's than one with a very half-assed attempt to include a non-white person.

Good to know. Do you read fantasy? Does the genre affect your answer in anyway?

alessahinlo
12-20-2011, 02:43 AM
I do get annoyed when I read books that have an illogical 100% white population (books that take place in the south (especially alabama or mississippi) that have no PoC). I would like to see more PoC in books, though.

Haha, I will always and forever laugh at books set in Seattle that have 0 Asian characters in them.

missesdash
12-20-2011, 02:52 AM
Good to know. Do you read fantasy? Does the genre affect your answer in anyway?

I don't read a lot of high fantasy. The genre does matter because I don't think it's necessary for a book set in an entirely fictional location with entirely fictional races/creatures etc to address contemporary race issues. Not that it can't. But if I'm reading something for escapism, the last thing I'm interested in is a "realistic portrayal of race relations." I get enough of that in the real world.

But if it's set in the real world, I fully expect diversity. Not necessarily racial diversity, but some type. And if it's set in any American city, there should be racial diversity.

I guess I see one as not thinking to put PoC in, which can be forgiven. You make up all these people and places and you populate it with what you know. But the second, having no PoC in a story that takes place in a location like NYC, that's deliberate exclusion. You don't need to build when the story is set in the real world. If you present a Detroit with no black people, you've take them out. That's a lot more offensive.

dragonangel517
12-20-2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I hate to leave the conversation just when it is getting interesting but I have to go do some actual work. If anyone would like to volunteer to answer some of the more politically incorrect questions I have off camera, please pm me.

Alan Yee
12-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Haha, I will always and forever laugh at books set in Seattle that have 0 Asian characters in them.

I haven't read very many books set in Seattle, but I too would have a similar reaction to finding no Asian characters in such books. There are so many POC (in the sense of non-white rather than just black) in the Greater Seattle area, including mixed folks like me (Chinese/white), that I'd scoff at anyone who tries to make Seattle out to be All White All The Time.

According to the most recent census, the small town in Nebraska where my maternal grandmother grew up in has less than 400 people, 100% white. Now that I could believe. But Seattle--or anywhere near there--no way.

escritora
12-20-2011, 03:43 AM
I'm White. So White.

Sometimes your avatar is a pic of you so I know what you look like. You do look white, but if you were to tell me you were Mexican I would believe it without hesitation.

backslashbaby
12-20-2011, 05:25 AM
Sometimes your avatar is a pic of you so I know what you look like. You do look white, but if you were to tell me you were Mexican I would believe it without hesitation.

Thank you! So many great Latino friends and loved ones throughout the years! We are fortunate here and have a vibrant, huge Latino population. Originally because of the tobacco farms and need for labor, we think. My Spanish is not up to par, but we aren't bilingual like Texas or anything. You see and here Spanish all the time, but folks speak to you in English, unless they just don't speak it yet.

I did Tech Support in Spanish for a few years, and I truly loved that anyone appreciated my rotten vocab! I love, love, talking to folks in Latin America for work. They have more fun at work than we do, I think :)

Hawaiians seem to too, btw. I loved getting Hawaiian calls.

cryaegm
12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
I was wondering when this board would happen. I was afraid the idea was forgotten about. :(

Kitty27
12-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Thread Change.

Psychomacologist
12-20-2011, 04:00 PM
This is a great idea for a board. GREAT. IDEA.

BTW, I look like this:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307681_10150289605286292_603331291_8250965_2553426 62_n.jpg

ViolettaVane
12-21-2011, 07:23 AM
If this is the intro thread... hi!

I'm a multiracial Japanese-American and US Southerner. I learned Spanish as a second language (English is my first, and I don't speak Japanese) and lived in Mexico for a short time. My children are African-American.

I'm happy to answer specific questions about racial issues -- I can even geek out on them if they're technical/linguistic ones -- but I get really sick of the big passive-aggressive ones that I hear over and over again. Like "how come black people get BET but white people don't get WET?"

Kitty27
12-21-2011, 09:05 AM
If this is the intro thread... hi!

I'm a multiracial Japanese-American and US Southerner. I learned Spanish as a second language (English is my first, and I don't speak Japanese) and lived in Mexico for a short time. My children are African-American.

I'm happy to answer specific questions about racial issues -- I can even geek out on them if they're technical/linguistic ones -- but I get really sick of the big passive-aggressive ones that I hear over and over again. Like "how come black people get BET but white people don't get WET?"

Welcome,Violetta!

I've heard that one before,lol.

crunchyblanket
12-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Great forum, guys. Thanks for opening this place up. I hope to learn a lot here.

For my part - I'm about as white as a person can be without being completely see-through. I'm also half-Romani, through both my grandads, which people don't usually guess (I don't know what they expect a gypsy to look like...) Otherwise, I'm of pretty solid Irish stock. I grew up in an area of London in which my brother and I were two of only five white kids in our entire school, and personally, I don't see that as an inherently bad thing.

Sorin
01-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Yay for this forum!

Black woman here. So far, in all my WIPs my MCs have been black except for one, and she's white and queer. So yeah, I'm all about representing other voices. Actually, like any writer I'm just drawing on my own experiences, so the characters are who they are.

I have to post and read from my phone because this site gives my computer a virus, but I'll be around!

Silver-Midnight
01-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi. I'm a black woman. I typically writer romance and erotica. However, I'm trying to break out into other genres as well. I like mystery and fantasy novels as well, although I have yet to write one yet. I like anime, and that has greatly influenced my writing I think. Nice to meet all of you.

AW Admin
01-02-2012, 02:42 AM
I have to post and read from my phone because this site gives my computer a virus, but I'll be around!

This site absolutely positively did not, and has not given you or anyone else a virus.

I scan the server regularly, and have just now scanned it again.

We're on a Unix server, we're pretty locked down, and the malware that could potentially infect us is somewhat esoteric, and isn't going to be part of the forums.

Moreover, were we infected with malware, browsing at all, even on a phone, is . . . not bright.

Please do not make assertions like this lightly;

It means I get a lot of panicked emails and PMs.

You can pick up malware from a site you looked at days ago; it lurks in your cache and may have a timer or another event that triggers it, so that while you may see the alert on AW, that doesn't mean you were infected on AW.

Nor does an alert mean you are infected.

If you're infected with malware, you need to log off and do something about it.

See this thread for some help: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6866919#post6866919

Sorin
01-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I did not mean to spread misinformation, and I apologize if it came across that way. My technical lingo is not very . . . technical, and I did get that malware alert when I last accessed the forums. I fixed it, but I'm afraid to try again. I was simply trying to explain why my posts would be short and sporadic due to my posting using my phone.

Again, I apologize.

This site absolutely positively did not, and has not given you or anyone else a virus.

I scan the server regularly, and have just now scanned it again.

We're on a Unix server, we're pretty locked down, and the malware that could potentially infect us is somewhat esoteric, and isn't going to be part of the forums.

Moreover, were we infected with malware, browsing at all, even on a phone, is . . . not bright.

Please do not make assertions like this lightly;

It means I get a lot of panicked emails and PMs.

You can pick up malware from a site you looked at days ago; it lurks in your cache and may have a timer or another event that triggers it, so that while you may see the alert on AW, that doesn't mean you were infected on AW.

Nor does an alert mean you are infected.

If you're infected with malware, you need to log off and do something about it.

See this thread for some help: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6866919#post6866919

kuwisdelu
01-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I meant no offense, and I apologize if it came across that way. My technical lingo is not very . . . technical, and I did get that malware alert when I last accessed the forms. I fixed it, but I'm afraid to try again. I was simply trying to explain why my posts would be short and sporadic due to my posting using my phone.

Again, no offense intended.

I don't think it was offense so much as the admins here don't want you or other people worrying that AW will give anyone malware. It won't. They work very hard to make sure of that. There are many reasons an alert like that might have come up at that moment, but AW was not what infected you. Check out our Tech Help forum, and maybe someone here can help you figure out what the problem might have been.

LadyLex
01-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Glad to see this forum!

I hope this is the introduction thread!

I'm an African American woman. I'm married to an African American/Phillipino Man. I write romance primarily. But I recently signed a contract with an independent publisher, Black Opal Books, for a Multi-cultural suspense/thriller with romantic elements.

I haven't been around Absolute Write long. I joined in early 2011, but had to take a hiatus for a while. But I'm back and hope to be involved more.

backslashbaby
01-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Hiya, LadyLex! Nice to meet you :)

Snitchcat
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Hello, everyone. Thought I should introduce myself properly with as many emoticons as possible.

So:

Hi, my name's Snitchcat and I'm a POC (Paranormal Oxymoronic Caricature).

Really though: Chinese with mixed heritage. Love fantasy, but will read good books across the genres, except Westerns and Romances 'cos they don't appeal to me. Else a mangler of English and Chinese. And maybe a decent destroyer of manga. Perhaps.

Heh.

LadyLex
01-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks Backslashbaby! Glad to be here.

Kitty27
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Welcome,Snitchcat and Lady Lex!