What's that boat doing on the sidewalk?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I thought as I drove by, then realized it had become unhitched while being towed.

As I live only a block away from the scene, I had time to retrieve my camera and take a few shots while the tow truck driver was trying to divine the best means of extraction.

How the boat and trailer managed to end up sideways between that utility pole and low wall can only be surmised as one of the freakiest things I've ever seen:

12-18-11012-2.jpg

12-18-11002-2.jpg

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had something similar happen near me about 20 years ago. Except it was a brand new cabin cruiser on its way to be delivered to the new owner. Somehow they forgot to tie it down to the trailer. When the truck towing it pulled away from a stop light, it just slid right off the trailer and onto the pavement. They had to call in a construction type crane to lift it and put it back on the trailer. And then take it back to the factory to repair the damage to the keel.

MM

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I thought as I drove by, then realized it had become unhitched while being towed.

As I live only a block away from the scene, I had time to retrieve my camera and take a few shots while the tow truck driver was trying to divine the best means of extraction.

How the boat and trailer managed to end up sideways between that utility pole and low wall can only be surmised as one of the freakiest things I've ever seen:

Trailer dehitches, drags on the asphalt and writhes. Hits the sidewalk and turns over to drag some more. Basically requires the truck to be going at least near the speed limit.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I once topped the crest on the interstate only to find a small, square, concession stand sitting perfectly aligned in the slow lane... and a half mile later a pick-up with an empty trailer turning about in the police turn around...

Loose trailers are a real danger. One killed three people last year. I'm glad no one got hurt. =)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
We had something similar happen near me about 20 years ago...
That reminds me of the time I was driving home late one night and saw a boat resting on its side along a highway. It took up the center and right lanes. A pickup truck with an empty boat trailer was parked up ahead. Several people were milling around, no doubt discussing how best to get that boat back onto its trailer.

I would have stopped to lend a hand, but there was nothing short of a crane to help them out of their predicament.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I contacted a couple of local news sources that were interested in running the pictures I've posted here, in addition to several other shots. Our brief negotiations broke down as soon I realized they wanted the images for free.

I understand that times are tough and all, but I'd prefer not to help fill space for your newspaper or telecast for zero compensation.