Early 1800's America

Springs

Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP features a town which diverged from the rest of civilization in the very early 1800's and has been magically hidden ever since, developing on its own. Because it's located in the middle of the woods and isn't overly concerned with the technological advances of the rest of the world, I believe that it would retain a lot of the personality of the time period from which it originated. I'm basically interested in architecture, general lifestyle, and speech, but I can't find a lot of sources online that are very specific or descriptive about the period, so any knowledge or references would be great! :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
American Cookery ... Adapted to this Country and All Grades of Life, by Amelia Simmons, 1796, first American cooking and household management book

The Virginia Housewife, by Mary Randolph, 1824, an influential American cookery and household management book

The American Frugal Housewife, by Lydia M. Child, 1827

The House Servant's Directory, or A Monitor for Private Families Comprising Hints on the Arrangement and Performance of Servants' Work ..., by Robert Roberts, 1828, the first household management book by an African-American

A timeline of American cultural history, 1800-1810s

A Journey to Ohio in 1810, by Margaret van Horn Dwight

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The details would vary with location. There was more difference from state to state then there is now. Cookery, language, economy, domestic dustoms were unhomogenized.