My goal is to reduce the anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

agefortyseven

I'm successful. I'm writing. I'm getting published. I'm getting paid. It all came together in under a year. But my anxiety at each new adventure is taking some of the fun out of it. I just pre-queried a bunch of ideas to an editor, and now my editor has come back and asked me to flesh out three of them. Hurray, right? Nope! Anxiety! What if I'm not up to the task? Any recommendations from anyone about how to be a little more relaxed? I don't like the adrenaline ups and downs of writing, and I don't believe it has to be this way. Thanks!

aka eraser

First of all, congrats on the progress in only a year.

I have a couple of suggestions. One is not to query a "bunch" of ideas at a time. You've developed a relationship with this editor (if I recall correctly from a previous post of yours) so bouncing one or two ideas at a time is plenty. Make them ones you're most keen to do something with. If he/she nixes them, then you can come back with one or two more a little later.

Secondly, take breaks away from the keyboard. Go for a walk, spend an hour or three indulging in a favourite hobby, read a book; anything that gets you occupied with something other than work. When you come back, refreshed, things won't appear so daunting.

The adrenaline ups and downs will level out (a little) over time, and with experience. You'll become more confident in your abilities and more comfortable with the whole process.

Yeshanu

The adrenaline ups and downs will level out (a little) over time, and with experience. You'll become more confident in your abilities and more comfortable with the whole process.

I agree with Frank here.

One thing I did when I was under a lot of stress and didn't think I was good enough to do the job: I'd get up in the morning and stand in front of the mirror and tell myself, "I can do this. I'm good enough to do this well."

Every morning.

Sounds a bit hokey, but it worked. I got over the fear and did what needed to be done, and enjoyed it.

Mridu

In my first couple of assignments, I would research and prepare an outline before I sent out the query. That would make me confident of my abilities before I even sent out the idea. Since I had my research and outline on hand, an acceptance would mean that all I had to do was get a few quotes, and write up the piece.

Once you've done a couple of assignments like this, you'll have much more faith in your abilities and the anxiety will automatically go away.

Good Luck!

ritinrider

Everyone had superb advice and or suggestions for you. If part of your problem is fear you can't do the job, remember you've done the job before. If you've worked with this editor before, she must've thought you did a good job, after all she hired you again. If this is a new editor, you know you can do the job, you've done it for other editors before. Just keep reminding yourself you know what you're doing, and you're good at what you do.

Nita

Status
Not open for further replies.