French help, please!

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
I believe APB is une alerte à toutes les patrouilles (literally, an alert to all patrols). I'm not sure about BOLO; I'll have to ask some native speaking friends and get back to you.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't BOLO essentially the same thing as an APB? I was under the impression that BOLO had essentially replaced APB.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't BOLO essentially the same thing as an APB? I was under the impression that BOLO had essentially replaced APB.

Yeah, pretty much...

APB was the original term used when hard line communications was typified by the teletype. A bulletin would be sent to all stations (points) equipped with a teletype machine. This was usually over a broad geographic area.

BOLO was originally used as a radio transmission to units in a more specific geographic area.

With the migration from analogue to digital communications, and the inherent increase in range and speed, the terms have become virtually synonymous.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I have had no luck in Googling and haven't found anything on the various sites devoted to the French police judiciaire. Most of the newspaper articles I've seen about nationwide alerts for particular suspects just refer to alertes.

Let's hope some French AWers have better info. I don't remember ever reading a French policier that mentioned a term of art or acronym equivalent to APB or BOLO.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I have had no luck in Googling and haven't found anything on the various sites devoted to the French police judiciaire. Most of the newspaper articles I've seen about nationwide alerts for particular suspects just refer to alertes.

Let's hope some French AWers have better info. I don't remember ever reading a French policier that mentioned a term of art or acronym equivalent to APB or BOLO.

Thanks for looking, I couldn't find anything either. I, too, was hoping for a French AW-er, preferably a cop. :)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried searching for synonymous meanings? Experience tells me that translating meaning often yields better results than the actual desired phrase. I could be wrong?

on alert adv. en état d'alerte
be alert vi. avoir conscience