PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Clay?

PaulyWally
12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
The little guy is 11 months old, and mom wants personalized Xmas tree ornaments. So I thought I would do some hand prints or something.

I would like a clay that is paintable and durable. It would suck if it broke in 2 or 3 years... or chipped a little bit every year. What should I be looking for?

I probably won't buy online (not enough time). I have Targets and K-Marts, Michael's and Joann's, Utrechts, and several small hobby/art supply stores.

Maryn
12-17-2011, 11:06 PM
You want Fimo or Sculpey. You shape them, bake them, then paint them or not, since they come in colors. Michael's and JoAnn both carry it. If you have a genuine artists supplies store, they probably carry something even better, and can also tell you about any techniques or finishes to make it last a long time.

Maryn, whose kids are the crafty ones, not herself

veinglory
12-17-2011, 11:19 PM
My favorite as the airdry clay DAS, especially in white.

GailD
12-18-2011, 02:09 AM
What a super idea! It's really got me thinking.

You may like to try a resin, as once dry, it shouldn't chip or crack. I would use modelling clay and make an impression of little hands and feet. Then fill the depression in the clay with the resin. Stick a toothpick into one corner, before the resin sets and which you'll remove once the resin has set. That will leave a hole through which you can thread a ribbon and... voila... you have your ornament. It might even make a great gift for doting aunts and grannies.

Now why didn't I think of this when my kids were small?

Brutal Mustang
12-18-2011, 02:15 AM
I second the Fimo. You'll find it in Hobby Lobby. It comes in some amazing colors, too. Though, make sure you wash the little guys hands well afterwards--the stuff is mildly toxic. When properly baked (for the time and temperature the package says), polymer clays will last a long time.

veinglory
12-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Oh yes, resin would absolutely not break and is really easy. You just get two bottles of liquid, mix together and pour in.

BunnyMaz
12-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Salt dough. You can make it yourself, it is easy to shape and play with, it can be air-dried or hardened in the oven and it is literally just flour, salt and water - safe enough for kidlet to accidentally chew on and nasty enough to taste that he won't eat it on purpose. Also really easy to paint.