PDA

View Full Version : Don't smile. And don't tap your feet. Or nod your head.

Perks
12-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Just try not to. Awesomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O-hCtPfef8

Ken
12-17-2011, 09:35 PM
... am always paranoid about posted links, particularly youtube ones and the like. Will fake it and pretend I've clicked on it and say something generic that'll make it seem like I checked it out. Now then, what shall I say? Ah, got it.

Very nice. Ha ha. Sure got a kick out of that. Thanks for the entertainment!

Perks
12-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Why are you paranoid about YouTube links?

Ken
12-17-2011, 09:40 PM
... advertisements.
:chair

I have horrible sales resistance.

Jersey Chick
12-17-2011, 09:40 PM
That was cool. I always wanted to learn to play the drums. My mom would never let me (said I made enough noise on my own) :(

My daughter started band this year. She's learning the drums.

Yes. I'm going to live vicariously through her. :D

Williebee
12-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Ah... Tis the season of the grade school Christmas pageant. I was so glad to find this not a link to one of those.

I knew you wouldn't do that to me. :)

Haggis
12-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Perks. I just spent one half hour of my life watching drum videos. But it was totally worth it. :)

Haggis, ex drummer.

Perks
12-17-2011, 10:59 PM
He's absolutely wonderful. I have no rhythm, so it's extra fun to watch in amazement.

Jehhillenberg
12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
That was so good.

Mclesh
12-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Awesomeness!

swachski
12-17-2011, 11:39 PM
I didn't smile or tap my feet, but you got me on the head nod. :D

Archerbird
12-18-2011, 12:31 AM
That was pretty good...:D

Perks
12-18-2011, 01:05 AM
I didn't smile or tap my feet, but you got me on the head nod. :D

Did you mouth the biggedty-biggedty-biggedty-biggedty-pshhhhh! to go along with it?

Cliff Face
12-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Totally awesome drumming. :D

It's put me in the mood to play drums. However there are a few problems with that...

1. My drum kit is dismantled and under the stairs. The bass drum can't come out past some other heavy-arse furniture. And there's nowhere to set them up anyway.

2. It's 7.36am, mum's sleeping and only got in around 3am I think...

So I might have to watch some more drum videos instead. :tongue

(And that guy is way more talented than I've ever been on drums. ;))

Thanks for the link!

Ken
12-18-2011, 01:28 AM
He's absolutely wonderful. I have no rhythm, so it's extra fun to watch in amazement.

... never too late to learn. Part of rhythm comes naturally of course. It can still be learnt to a fair degree. Taking up a musical instrument like the drums or any other one is a great way to approach that. (And I'm sure you've got some rhythm, maybe even a whole lot. It just needs developing. So why not give it a whack?

Ahhhhh! I meant "rhythm" not me!

:e2beat:

rhymegirl
12-18-2011, 03:39 AM
I didn't smile or tap my feet or nod my head.

Cuz I didn't click on the link. ;)

Haggis
12-18-2011, 04:34 AM
I didn't smile or tap my feet or nod my head.

Cuz I didn't click on the link. ;)
All the poorer for it, RG.

Perks
12-18-2011, 04:38 AM
Are YouTube links inherently dangerous?

Bubastes
12-18-2011, 05:20 AM
I grinned ear to ear as I watched that. Thanks for sharing!

And Ken is right: it's never too late to learn a musical instrument (although being an adult music student has a special set of challenges, so a good teacher is crucial). I started drum lessons when I was 36.

Haggis
12-18-2011, 05:26 AM
I grinned ear to ear as I watched that. Thanks for sharing!

And Ken is right: it's never too late to learn a musical instrument (although being an adult music student has a special set of challenges, so a good teacher is crucial). I started drum lessons when I was 36.
I was hoping you'd find this one, Bub. :D

Cliff Face
12-18-2011, 06:05 AM
*Drummer solidarity high five* ;)

Ah, if only I was that talented!

And you can totally learn an instrument as an adult! One thing I've noticed is that playing around on multiple instruments helps you in a lot of ways. Like, what skills I developed with drums before I had nowhere to set the kit up have helped me with keyboard. The keyboard skills I've developed have helped me with guitar. And I'm sure the guitar skills I've developed will one day help me with some other instrument.

Not that I'm a pro at any one instrument, but I'm probably better at each individual one for the fact that I've played around on multiple ones.

/pep talk rant thing

Bubastes
12-18-2011, 06:14 AM
*Drummer solidarity high five* ;)

Ah, if only I was that talented!

And you can totally learn an instrument as an adult! One thing I've noticed is that playing around on multiple instruments helps you in a lot of ways. Like, what skills I developed with drums before I had nowhere to set the kit up have helped me with keyboard. The keyboard skills I've developed have helped me with guitar. And I'm sure the guitar skills I've developed will one day help me with some other instrument.

Not that I'm a pro at any one instrument, but I'm probably better at each individual one for the fact that I've played around on multiple ones.

/pep talk rant thing

YES! I totally agree, with one minor caveat: since I was a classical musician in high school, I now have a hard time getting out of the rigid classical mindset and simply letting myself go on the drum kit. Which is probably why I still suck. :D

Cliff Face
12-18-2011, 06:20 AM
I can sort of relate to that... I've been a fan of metal for longer than I've owned any instruments. So with me, even on my grandad's organ which is very much suited to orchestral music, I still play it like I'm in a metal band. :tongue

I keep trying to learn new styles, but it's so frustrating when I just want to play fast and intricate! And the trouble is, other styles can still be fast and intricate, just in a different way. So I'm kind of stuck trying to learn new ways and just falling into the same old way. :( *grumps*

Of course, my ability in the metal style is improving. But I'd like to be more well-rounded than that someday. :tongue

BenPanced
12-18-2011, 09:31 PM
I didn't nod my head, tap my feet, or smile in appreciation. I just thought "meh" and clicked back here. Not really a drum fan.

Haggis
12-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Seize him.

Perks
12-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Geez, Ben. I'll try harder next time.

BenPanced
12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
*meh*

*clicks back to comics*

rhymegirl
12-18-2011, 10:54 PM
All the poorer for it, RG.

But but...

I just like being a non-conformist.

benbradley
12-19-2011, 12:53 AM
There's this guy, not quite as impressive. Kinda wooden sounding, actually. Actual music starts about halfway through, if you're impatient:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVCmPT6l68

Are YouTube links inherently dangerous?
The Internet is inherently dangerous. If DNS gets fudged with, typing in a website could go totally somewhere else without the website's server being messed with. Yours for ending clauses with 'with.'

I recall the late '90's when everyone was saying "you can't get a virus if you don't click on an email attachment" and right around then Microsoft "enhanced" Outlook to automatically run attachments. If it's more convenient for you, it's probably more convenient for criminals.

Haggis
12-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Two other robot drummers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5B7yqDYbA)

AKA why there's no point in me playing drums anymore.

bettielee
12-19-2011, 02:54 AM
dammi! I started tapping my feet right away! I may have smirked, as well, but that isn't a full-on smile...