PDA

View Full Version : If a couple of people could give me a hand...

DocBrown
12-17-2011, 07:42 PM
My sister is a born again Christian, and often we get each other books for Christmas. Anytime I try to grab her something form the Christian aisle int he book store she either has it or has read it, so I'm looking for some "Christian friendly" books from lesser known authors who may or may not post at a certain writer's forum.

I'm not looking for anything that would necessarily end up in the Christian fiction aisle at B&N, but I've read about the complaints given in this forum about a lot of fiction being Christian unfriendly or agnostic. So, I'm looking for some Speculative fiction that is something she might like that also bucks that trend. I'm particularly interested in supporting some of the local indie authors here, because I can be almost certain she hasn't read your stuff.

Does anybody have anything they've written and is available in paperback at Amazon?

Alas, my sister is techno-impaired and will probably be one of the last four U.S. citizens to get any type of ebook reader, so if your stuff is available as an ebook only, sorry, she won't be able to read it.

alleycat
12-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Just throwing out an idea. What about audio books? Or an audio version of the Bible (there is one version where James Earl Jones reads the New Testament; or as I like to call it, the Bible, read by Darth Vader).

DocBrown
12-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Honestly, I don't think audiobooks work.

She doesn't have an .mp3 player (the non-tech thing). Honestly, I'm not sure she has a CD player. She certainly doesn't buy a lot of them, though I'm sure she must have something lying about that plays them.

When I say she's non-tech, I mean it. Honestly, I doubt she'd sit around and listen to the Bible when she could just read it. That's kind of why we usually exchange books. ;)

alleycat
12-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Another idea . . . go to Amazon and do a search for Christian books, then sort by publication date. Find something new that she couldn't have had a chance to read.

Your sister sounds like my mother. She never did figure out how to program the VCR we gave her years ago.

Gravity
12-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi Doc. Here is THE go to site for Christian speculative fiction: http://www.marcherlordpress.com/

Some of their authors have won awards, and I personally have ordered and read some of their titles. I think you'll like what you'll find. Hope that helps!

Calla Lily
12-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Doc, does she like romance? Deb Kinnard's books would fit. If she likes fiction in modern settings, then Kathy Macias' books would work. If she likes fiction set in the time of Jesus, then I cannot recommend Tracy Groot highly enough.

Gravity's suggestion of Marcher Lord Press is also great. Allow me to recommend Gravity's own books, of course. :D (That is, if they're available in pb--are they, John?)

Williebee
12-18-2011, 12:17 AM
The first "Joe Box" book was in paperback when I read it, but that was before I went all digitally and stuff. :)

+1 on Gravity's books, btw.

Turns out Miss Alice's books are available in PB, too. Son of a gun... :)

CACTUSWENDY
12-18-2011, 12:20 AM
The Bible...Darth Vader.....:roll:

Sorry, I just could not resist. That is funny..............:roll:

DocBrown
12-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks everybody. :)

This was a big help. :Sun:

Calla Lily
12-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Turns out Miss Alice's books are available in PB, too. Son of a gun... :)

No no no no no!

Not joking here, Doc--My books aren't what I would suggest for an evangelical--esp a strict one. They have violence and nudity and cursing and x-rated photos described in detail. They're not for sensitive readers. No CBA house would've touched them.

But thanks for thinking of me, Willie. :Hug2:

Gravity
12-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the kind shout-out, guys; you're very kind.

Yeah, the paperback versions of all three Joe Box books are out of print, but I think Amazon still has copies for some God-awful price. I put 'em up on Kindle a year or so ago for ninety-nine cents each ... not that helps the OP, though.

For what it's worth, my apocalypse-with-a-twist thriller Heading Home (the cover's to the left), is still available in both paperback and Kindle, for less than three bucks a pop for either version.

Dirt cheap, and you couldn't have more fun at the circus. :D

DocBrown
12-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks Callalily for your candor. My sister is the type to gush over what a great love story Twilight was and how awesome sparkly vampires are. :e2hammer: Too much sex, nudity, and violence wouldn't interest her.

I think Deb Kinnard's "Seasons in the Mist" sounded good,but I'll probably get her (my sister) a half dozen more.

Thanks again everyone! You've all been most helpful. :e2flowers

Williebee
12-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Sorry, Miss Alice-- and Doc. Wasn't my intention to recommend Alice's books in this instance. It was merely an observation. :)

Calla Lily
12-18-2011, 06:21 PM
*snorples Willie, because he's such a sweetie*

Gravity
12-18-2011, 07:51 PM
:::adding "snorples" to my lexicon::: :evil

Calla Lily
12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
I haven't found a way to work it into a book yet, but I'm trying. :D

Williebee
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
I did, but the character drowned. I may have been using it wrong. :)

Calla Lily
12-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Possibly. Ask Mrs. Willie to demonstrate the correct way. :D

Deb Kinnard
12-19-2011, 07:45 PM
"Snorples"! That rocks. I'm with John on adding it to my lexicon along with "Swackload" and "Squonk."

Thanks for the kind shout-out. If she likes G rated historical romance, SITM might be for her. If she likes exciting, HEADING HOME is a great read.

Another author I can personally recommend (though she doesn't post here) is Sarah Sundin. I just finished her A DISTANT MELODY and it's terrific.

Ralyks
04-17-2012, 02:49 AM
No no no no no!

Not joking here, Doc--My books aren't what I would suggest for an evangelical--esp a strict one. They have violence and nudity and cursing and x-rated photos described in detail. They're not for sensitive readers. No CBA house would've touched them.

But thanks for thinking of me, Willie. :Hug2:

But they have explicit Chrisitan content or themes also? So who did touch them? I'm eager to know of publishers who are open to both Christian themes and books with cursing and (non-graphic) sex.

Calla Lily
04-17-2012, 05:11 AM
skylar, my books are with a mainstream mystery-only pub--Midnight Ink. They're mysteries whose MC happens to be an ex-nun. There are no overt Christian themes in the books at all. My MC wrestles with her conscience, and there's a lot of Catholic stuff in book 2 because it's set in a convent, but that's it.

Ralyks
04-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Roger J Carlson
04-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Not joking here, Doc--My books aren't what I would suggest for an evangelical--esp a strict one. Stuff and nonsense. My wife and I are Strict Evangelicals and we both love your books. So did my wife's sister, another SE.

I think the problem is mostly with CBA houses believing Christians will only read sweetness-and-light.

BTW, when is the third book due?

Roger J Carlson
04-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks Callalily for your candor. My sister is the type to gush over what a great love story Twilight was and how awesome sparkly vampires are. :e2hammer: Too much sex, nudity, and violence wouldn't interest her.

I think Deb Kinnard's "Seasons in the Mist" sounded good,but I'll probably get her (my sister) a half dozen more.

Thanks again everyone! You've all been most helpful. :e2flowersI'm entirely serious. I think Alice is erring too far on the side of caution. I suggest you buy Alice's books and see for yourself if your sister would like them.

Really, Alice's books are tamer than most episodes of Law and Order on NBC.

Ralyks
04-24-2012, 01:47 AM
I think the problem is mostly with CBA houses believing Christians will only read sweetness-and-light.

Amen.

Calla Lily
04-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Roger, you're a doll. :LilLove: Book 3 hits shelves the first week of next February.

Deb Kinnard
04-25-2012, 03:37 AM
When (oh, when) will the Christian houses begin to realize there's a continuum amongst readers of C-fic, just as there's a continuum amongst mainstream fic readers? We don't all read historical, or contemporary, or action/adventure, or spec fic, or, or, or. Why do the publishers assume if we're believers, we automatically want Amish bonnet books and nothing else?

That said, it seems like a good time to mention I sold my "unsellable" Faith Box trilogy. Y'know, the one the agent said nobody liked because it's set in the middle ages. Desert Breeze will put it out starting this September with PEACEWEAVER, then THE HEALING TREE next April and WHEN THE ROSES BLOOMED the following November.

Thus proving that we all must read the same things...

Calla Lily
04-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Deb, congrats!

Dancre
04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Does she have the Blood of Kings books by Jill Williamson? She's my favey writer now and I love the series. Also check out my friend, http://www.ellencmaze.com/. she has great books. Amanda Davis has http://preciselyterminated.com/ Which is a great book. Also check out http://www.speculativefaith.com/ it has Spec Fiction on it. She might like it.

My sister is a born again Christian, and often we get each other books for Christmas. Anytime I try to grab her something form the Christian aisle int he book store she either has it or has read it, so I'm looking for some "Christian friendly" books from lesser known authors who may or may not post at a certain writer's forum.

I'm not looking for anything that would necessarily end up in the Christian fiction aisle at B&N, but I've read about the complaints given in this forum about a lot of fiction being Christian unfriendly or agnostic. So, I'm looking for some Speculative fiction that is something she might like that also bucks that trend. I'm particularly interested in supporting some of the local indie authors here, because I can be almost certain she hasn't read your stuff.

Does anybody have anything they've written and is available in paperback at Amazon?

Alas, my sister is techno-impaired and will probably be one of the last four U.S. citizens to get any type of ebook reader, so if your stuff is available as an ebook only, sorry, she won't be able to read it.

Dancre
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I. HATE. AMISH. LOVE. STORIES!!! ARG!!! I agree!! Give me elves and dwarfs. Gesh!!!

When (oh, when) will the Christian houses begin to realize there's a continuum amongst readers of C-fic, just as there's a continuum amongst mainstream fic readers? We don't all read historical, or contemporary, or action/adventure, or spec fic, or, or, or. Why do the publishers assume if we're believers, we automatically want Amish bonnet books and nothing else?

That said, it seems like a good time to mention I sold my "unsellable" Faith Box trilogy. Y'know, the one the agent said nobody liked because it's set in the middle ages. Desert Breeze will put it out starting this September with PEACEWEAVER, then THE HEALING TREE next April and WHEN THE ROSES BLOOMED the following November.

Thus proving that we all must read the same things...

BlueDimity
07-31-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't know if this has been suggested before but how a about A Life God Rewards by Bruce Wilkinson and his other book the Prayer of Jabez?
Best books.
Another suggestion is ordering a monthly free christian small magazine called Our Daily Bread. That's subscription always brings something new to the table. :)

Robin Bayne
08-01-2012, 09:21 PM

. :e2flowers

She will love Deb's book.:)

Fanatic_Dreamer
08-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Any book by Ted Dekker. He's a brilliant Christian writer. A lot of his books deal with faith and spirituality. It's worth taking a look.