I know 'size doesn't matter', but let's be honest. How many words a day? On average?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done before, but well, i, em, can't find it.

*cough*

(PS, blame scarlet peaches for this thread.)

Reaction score
I'm a feast or famine writer. My average is probably quite...well, average, but I don't stick to that. I can go from writing over 10k a day (yes, really) to nothing for ages.

I'd like to stick to, say, 2k a day because then I could predict my own output. I've tried to discipline myself to do so, but...I resist for whatever reason. My willpower isn't strong enough.

So, like I said, feast or famine. It could be 10k, it could be 1k.

Reaction score
Well, 2k is only what I'd like to average out as.

Maybe I should make that my new year's resolution, although I aimed for 1,500 a day in 2011 and failed miserably.

Had a few 5k+ days though.

Good God; you've put an idea in my head that will really play with my OCD. Using a spreadsheet for a daily word count next year and working out my average on the 31st December.

That's if the Mayans are wrong and we don't all die on the 21st.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It depends a little on what I'm writing. Last novel I cracked 2k on all but a handful of days and I had a streak of 3 and 4k days. The current one I struggle to crack 1k a day.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly very little lately. A short story (5kish) every now and then. Mostly I'm submitting already written stories and working on grad school stuff right now.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
On a good day, 1-2k. I have written more in a day several times, but I'm not always on a roll.

On a bad day, 50-100 words. I got away with just seven once.

This'll sound bad, but I don't write every day as it is. :Ssh: Sometimes I go without.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
I try to do somewhere between 500 to 1000 (not counting blog posts). This is the first night in a LONG time that I haven't worked on my book, and it's really bothering me. I might have to edit...

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
When I'm NOT in the middle of moving from Japan to the States like I am right now, my daily quota is 5K. Sometimes I have 6-10K days, sometimes I don't make it past 3-4K, but most of the time, I do 5K.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I try to push myself to do 200 words a day. I am usually happy if I can do between 500 and 800 words. I am really pleased when I can do over 1,000.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
For me, it ranges anywhere between zero and 15k. Generally, though, when I'm actively working on something, I write somewhere between 100 and 5k words in a day, depending on what else I have going on. And I rarely take a day off once I've started on something new.

I also often take months off between projects, which brings my overall average word count way down.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Like Scarlet, I'm a feast or famine writer, although my feasts aren't that rich. I don't like to write in short spurts; it takes me a while to get into the zone so I don't write daily what with the day job and all. I might do 6000 - 8000 words a week when I stay focused, but it could be less. Occasionally it's also more, but rarely. I'm a slow writer, a 12 hour stint may only leave me with 3000 words I keep.

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
How do you write 3 to 5000 words a day?
I'm lucky if I get 800.
How much time in the chair does it take to get up to 3000 words?

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I guess I'm feast or famine as well... when I'm depressed (which I so often am) nothing comes out. When I'm not depressed or I'm on a deadline I can write up to 8000 or more per day.
Generally if I'm on a roll I write about 2000-5000 per day.

I wish I was on a roll now.

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
I don't set myself a word limit and, strangely enough for a writer, I never check how many I've written at the end of a session.

I used to have two days to write. So I'd just start in the morning and not stop until it was time to pick the kids up and repeat until the end of the second day. Sometimes I'd do nights and then I'd just write until 11pm.

In the New Year, kids will be doing afternoon sessions, 5 days a week so I'll have 3 hours each day to write.

So yeah, no word limit for me - it's more about the clock.

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it ranges anywhere between zero and 15k. Generally, though, when I'm actively working on something, I write somewhere between 100 and 5k words in a day, depending on what else I have going on. And I rarely take a day off once I've started on something new.

I also often take months off between projects, which brings my overall average word count way down.

15k? You can do that? Is that in a 24 hour period or a typical work day period, say 9-5. If ever I were to write 15k a day my head would have melted off my neck by the end of it. At the least I'd be in great need of a stiff drink. :D

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Who says size doesn't matter? ;)

Back to the thread.
I don't really take too much notice of word count, I know I produced around 2000 yesterday [about a typed chapter.]

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Managed 1k a day when I was on a writing retreat, usually 2-300 a day

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, if all is going well 1k a day, keeps the blues away.

to clarify, I'm talking when one is 'on a project'.

I'm assuming a daily work routine, at least four days a week.

Having said that, I will accept spurts over a week period, as long as it's project related. (and not some crazy whisky fuelled madness. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.