The Western Flash Fiction Challenge!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In anticipation of the Bi-Annual Western Writing Competitions [Competition One due to be announced mid-January 2012 and to feature some rather lovely prizes], the Western Forum issues a challenge to the Flash Fiction forum to join them in writing to a flash prompt, in the hopes that it will allow potential Competition entrants from here to cut their teeth on the Western genre.

The below prompts can be attacked from any angle and incorporate any permutation of the Western genre. You want to write Classic West? Go for it! You want to write Modern, Revisionist, Sci-fi, Horror, Australian or any other odd and lovely permutation of Western, then go for it! All styles are welcomed.

Once you're done, just post your flash in the Western SYW forum, make sure to give your fellow entrants a crit, and then get yourself ready for the mid-January Western Competition and the resumption of the Flash Fiction forum challenges! :)

The deadline for this challenge is the end of January.

So, with all that said, here are the initial prompts ...

I like the idea of infecting, err... cross-pollinating other groups with Western themes (c'mon, who doesn't love a cowboy?). But since we've got a month and a half to go and you know how fast those Flash people write, I thought I'd better offer up several prompts. We wouldn't want those Flashers calling us slack, eh?

So here is an embarrassment of riches for your flash-fictionalizing needs. Target is 1,000 words. If you do all four, let me know & I'll give you more prompts. Crazy ideas I got plenty of.

1. Hunter & hunted
  2. Stampede
  3. Women's work in the West
  4. Showdown
Off to the races!

Last edited: