Bookmarks and Smashwords

fasteddy8170

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, how do I keep this as short as possible? According to Smashwords, I have bookmark problems with my novel. They rejected it from their Premium Service because of it. They said there were no bookmarks for Chapters 1 and 2. First, it should be understood that I didn't do any Table of Contents for the book. It's a fiction novel. I figured I didn't need it. In addition, I was lead to believe that the bookmarks would be automatically set up because I used the word "chapter" at the beginning of each section. I have 39 chapters.

But, once reading the Smashwords error message, I had doubts about ALL of my bookmarks. So, I went through the .doc file and manually marked each chapter with a bookmark just like it says to do in the Style Guide.

So, I uploaded the corrected file and after it was finished I noticed that the new file AND the original file were both available to be viewed in Adobe Digital. So, I downloaded that program and viewed both .epub files. The original--the one they said was missing a couple of bookmarks--had bookmarks for every chapter except 1,2, and 17. The file that I went through and manually marked with bookmarks only had bookmarks for 1, 7, 15, and 16. And for the life of me, I can't figure out what went wrong. I am further away from getting the bookmarks corrected now than when I started.

Worse yet, it took Smashwords 3 weeks!!! to tell me my bookmarks were wrong. And I'm afraid I will have to wait that long again to get this all fixed. I want to make 100% sure these bookmarks are correct instead of wasting more time.

fasteddy8170

Registered
Reaction score
An update

So, I totally deleted ALL of the manual bookmarks from the latest version of my .doc file. Then, I re-formatted all the paragraphs using the technique described in the Style Guide. Saved it. Sent it to Smashwords just to see what would happen. Autovetter cleared it. I downloaded the .epub version. Opened it in Adobe Digital and ALL of the bookmarks were there. So . . . I guess . . . the problem is fixed. But, I'm not sure why it worked. I was expecting to not see any bookmarks. Instead, they're all there. I don't get it.

Erik M

Aaaayyy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.martin-inabind.blogspot.com
I recently published a novel to Smashwords. I did not add manual bookmarks. It took about five days to get accepted. However, Smashwords did not seem to automatically create a ToC, which I expected it to do, as, like you, my chapters were all "Chapter ***." Oh well. This was the first thing of any length that I had published with Smashwords and it came out pretty good.

pdblake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pdblakeauthor.wordpress.com
There must have been some odd formatting in there. I've put four books through Smashword's meatgrinder so far, on with manual tags and the other three with 'Chapter' headings, with no problems at all.

Following the style guide is a must. It looks complicated at first, but after a couple of goes it's pretty simple to do.

Now Amazon, If find, is the other way round. There I use manual tags for everything.