PDA

View Full Version : Writing in the head

writerinthenorth
12-12-2011, 09:37 PM
I've headlined my latest blog posting Writing is talking to an ear in the dark (http://writerinthenorth.blogspot.com/2011/12/writing-is-talking-to-ear-in-dark.html) as a way of trying to explain what my personal writing technique seems like to me. I would be interested to hear how you think about the way your writing emerges.

Puma
12-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Writing for me is having the premiere of a movie playing in my head - and I'm the only viewer. Puma

Filigree
12-13-2011, 01:51 AM
I agree. Sometimes, the process is intensely visual. I'll treat character formation almost as an interview Q & A process. I often outline whole stories or scenes in my head. When I physically sit down to write, it spills out quickly. Of course, I still have massive rewriting and editing to do, but I love that first foray into the story.

CrastersBabies
12-13-2011, 05:03 AM
I've written in my head, but not too far in advance. I tend to do it as I go, if that makes sense--one sentence at a time. I also utilize visual images, but that is more pre-writing. I use music to stimulate the creative mojo and let it unfold kind of like a movie trailer.

I love reading about how others do it, though. Sometimes, if I'm struggling, trying on a new method "hat" helps considerably.

Michael Davis
12-13-2011, 05:51 AM
I evolve my story at night while I'm waiting for the sandman. Then next day I articulate the images I saw in my minds eye, in the dark. Yeah, weird, but that's how I've evoked the fictional world for eight of my twelve releases, the others came in dreams. I know, wacky, what can I say.

gothicangel
12-13-2011, 12:32 PM
This is what I call 'letting my characters talk, and see where they run with it.' :D

Phaeal
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
You write on a ship, in the toilet?

Huh. I thought only Patrick O'Brian did that.

Shadow_Ferret
12-13-2011, 08:20 PM

Beat me to it. As a former sailor, that was my first thought and I had to open the thread. Nothing like potty humor.

writerinthenorth
12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Mmm, we seem to have some common experience here of the way we generate our writing, at least in the first flush.

Writer in the North (http://writerinthenorth.blogspot.com/)

bearilou
12-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Huh. I thought only Patrick O'Brian did that.

I thought this very same thing. :D