Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I saw this over on Erotica, and thought it was a good idea to get some chatter going over here.

What WIP (or WIPs) are you working on right now?

How far along are you?

Is it going well, or do you want to throw the keyboard at the wall?

I'll start! I just finished a paranormal romance and I'm now . . . not writing a darned thing for a day or so. My muse is heaving great gulps of air, trying to recover from the ":eek: OMG! The deadline is Monday!" panics. So, I'm feeding her lots of chocolate, wine and watching feel-good, brain-dead type movies for a couple of days.

But next up is probably going to be another paranormal. Hey, I've got an idea! How about you guys help me pick which one to write next? I'm thinking a stand-alone paranormal, and have several thumbnails that we wrote up for the agent to sell around. I've been writing series stories for almost a year and want to do something that simply finishes up with no loose ends. Want to play along? I won't post if nobody is interested. In which case, just tell what you're writing, and I'll throw darts at the wall to pick! :ROFL:

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
My muse suffers from acute ADD. We have 4 WIPs currently going and I'm getting dizzy from all of the hopping around. At this particular moment in time, I'm working on the 3rd book in my contemporary romance series. The first two are finished, with the first one awaiting a verdict from the agent who has it. The 4th is outlined and I should count myself lucky that my muse hasn't decided to take a crack at that one. Oy! Has anyone seen a bottle of Ritilin with the name Emily M. Use on it? :Smack:

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score

A paranormal romance that my husband and I (we collaborate) would like to see published as a series. It involves imps, and poltergeists, and demons--oh my! Plus, the romance involves a very forbidden type of relationship between heroine and hero as they battle together against horrors of the demonic kind. Again, if we are ridiculously lucky, we will have the chance to let the romance unfold (via a series) to what we envision as an awesomely HEA conclusion (because hero and heroine don't get together by the end of the book. The first book sets the stage). We are trying to blend paranormal romance with a chick-lit sort of feel, if that makes any sense. Even though publishing this may be nothing but a big fat dream of ours, we are enjoying the process.

How far along are you?

The funny thing is, this story began over two years ago as a novella of mine, became a screenplay, and now we are transforming it into a book. We are in the process of fleshing out the final few chapters and should have it completed by the end of this year.

Apparently the book is the right medium for this story as it is going extremely well (mostly thanks to my husband's strong writing skill and creativity). Having a script in hand, we had already developed a lot of the source material. We work on it and talk about it it in some capacity almost every day. The problem is not lack of ideas or where to take the plot or how to structure it, but worrying endlessly about its chances of becoming published. I am so enamored of the story by now that this will be a difficult one to shelve if nothing ever comes of it. What's cool is that an agent has already requested a full of one of my husband's other manuscripts, also a paranormal romance. So I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Thanks for starting this thread; it's nice to share. I love this site!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
But next up is probably going to be another paranormal. Hey, I've got an idea! How about you guys help me pick which one to write next? I'm thinking a stand-alone paranormal, and have several thumbnails that we wrote up for the agent to sell around. I've been writing series stories for almost a year and want to do something that simply finishes up with no loose ends. Want to play along?

Bring it on!

akelsey333

Peace...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, ladies!

I started a fantasy chick lit for a NaNo project, and I'm enjoying it so much, I've decided to actually finish it.

How far along are you?

I've written a rough draft for about half of the story and decided to edit it before continuing with the second half.

I'm new to fiction, so can some of you more experienced writers tell me if this is a good idea? Or is it generally better to have a rough draft of the entire novel completed before starting the editing process?

It's going surprisingly well. I never thought about writing this genre before, so I'm surprised at how smoothly the words have flowed so far.

I've posted a short excerpt in the Show Your Work forum and would love to hear more opinions:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23172

Cathy C said:
Hey, I've got an idea! How about you guys help me pick which one to write next?

Sounds fun :)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on the third in a contemporary romance series. I tried to ignore it and work on something else since I can't seem to get a bite on the first one but darned characters kept banging around in my head. It's going really well. I love the characters so much and as soon as I start a story, I find they have a lot to say. The family the series follows is comprised of 5 siblings (4 boys and a girl). Each book is centered around one of the siblings. The one I'm working on now is kind of fun because the brother can be a real bastard (oops, can I say that here?) and writing him is like exorcising my own demons. Everything I've ever wanted to say to someone when they piss me off seems to be ending up on the page. :)

I'm also in the process of editing a stand-alone romance that really sucks but I think there's something there so I'm trying to perform CPR on it. I finished it, printed it out and am editing like my hair is on fire. We'll see if it's worth it!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Sounds fun
smile.gif

Cool! I'll put a few up tomorrow, as I had to change some errand plans to account for the ice storm that's supposed to hit us tonight. Tomorrow seems a good day to curl up around the computer and type!

Looking forward to seeing more WIPs first, though! C'mon people and share your WIP! :Clap:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am in the final stages of a short sotry (9000 odd words) to submit to Chippewas Vampritica 2006 anthology. It's going quite well but isn't quite the story I planned so i will need to go back and foreshadow, fix continuity etc.

Then I though I might do a sequel to my western, but set in the east. is it still a western if set in the east -- hmmm.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I am currently querying with a paranormal romance that involves a psychic and fallen angel trying to solve the murders of pre-teens on the cusp of psychic manifestation. It's a standalone with series potential as heroine and hero don't have a definitive HEA in the first book.

The current WIP is another paranormal romance (or urban fantasy, depending on the mood I'm in) revolving around people with elemental powers who must magically bond in a group of four (i.e. one with each element) or risk losing touch with their humanity as the elemental aspects of their power take over their personalities. And, just to make it really nice for them, there's also a secret society of magic-hating fanatics who hunt down elementals--and those who bond are easier to track.

Cathy: I'd love to help you pick which one you want to do next. Fire away! =)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Right now I'm working on a time-travel chick lit involving the time of Robin Hood. I'm trying to stay in the paranormalish chicklit genre as that's what's currently out to a few agents.

How far along are you?

Still in the fragile beginning stages. About 9-10k in.

So far, no. When I have time (thanks to work) it flows very well. The last book made me want to toss my keyboard. Actually, make that the last two.

Nothing exciting on this end. Move along, move along. :)

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just getting started on a "love story." Don't know exactly what will happen in the story or how long it will be, but soon...

:)

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
my WIP

My current romance WIP is another contemporary--a 'medical romance' set in a hospital. The heroine is a surgical nurse and the hero is the dark, mean, and nasty new head surgeon. Will definitely be very erotic. At this point I am not sure if it will be a single title or if it will fit one of the medical romance series like Mills & Boon.

Last edited:

EllenG

Registered
Reaction score
What are you working on?

Cathy, Yes please post your WIP ideas.
Aside from getting out of my contract with Heliographica re my first novel, I am working on a "real' historical romance novel that will be acceptable to most publishers. Only, at times I feel myself stopping and making sure that the story and characters fit the accepted rules. I know I need an HEA and etc. but I hope there is some leeway.
I took the 2 main characters from my first novel and I am using them here. Not much of a stretch because that novel was about a past life so I am using that past life and making it a hist. rom. Actually a dear friend who is my beta reader said, "I hope they don't mind being 'prostituted'. I said they they know its for a good cause. :)
Comgrats on the book signing, Cathy.
Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.