PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Bones

Susan Littlefield
12-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Anyone watching this? Part one is on A&E 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., PDT, part two tomorrow.

I'm watching it now. So far so good.

Grrarrgh
12-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Watching it now. It's been long enough since I read the book that my memory of it isn't spoiling anything. I agree with you - so far, so good!

Haggis
12-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Watching.

Withholding opinion.

Susan Littlefield
12-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Can't wait to discuss it....without spoilers, of course. :D

Dr.Gonzo
12-12-2011, 04:58 PM
This isn't Stephen King's Bag of Bones is it? It's my favourite book of his.

Edit: Holy sh** it is! I'm all over this.

Jehhillenberg
12-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Aw dang. I saw the commercials, but missed it. I'll catch part two.

Yeah. Stephen King.

COchick
12-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I've seen the commercials, but I forgot all about it! I'll have to catch part 2 tonight.

Satori1977
12-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Missed it last night, but they are airing the whole 4 hours tonight, as well as part two. Haven't read the book though, but I am looking forward to this.

victoriajakes
12-13-2011, 12:54 AM
I never read the book, though I like King. But I am not impressed with this. Maybe it will get better? I think maybe it's a case of the book not translating well to film for those who haven't read the book. The writing just feels a little clumsy.

Susan Littlefield
12-13-2011, 06:31 AM
My favorite books as well, Gonzo.

Watching Part two, and it's fabulous! Just like Part One!

Dr.Gonzo
12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
O, Susan. I am in your debt for bringing this to my attention. King's always had a thing for writing about writers, and I think this one he nails. (Secret Window, Secret Garden is awesome, too). I don't know when this will eventually air in the UK--maybe not so long off with the help of Sky Atlantic. I heard a few years ago that a film was being thought about, with maybe Bruce Willis or maybe not. But Brosnan sounds perfect for the role. Colour me excited. And hearing that you're a fan of the book and that you like this--sweet Jesus. I'm here doing a happy dance. Nice early Christmas present for the doc. :)

Susan Littlefield
12-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Gonzo,

When you see the movie, I am sure you will not be disappointed. I really enjoyed it. Watching a scary movie before sleep usually does not bring me weird dreams, but it did this time. It was "scary good"!

ChaosTitan
12-14-2011, 01:46 AM
This is one of the few King books I still haven't read, and a lot of people say it's one of his best books, so maybe I was expecting more from the miniseries. But I was kind of underwhelmed, especially since I've liked Mick Garris's previous two adaptations (The Stand, Desperation).

Part one was kind of draggy and boring. Part two got a little better. I feel like the whole thing could have been an hour shorter and been a much tighter story.

And you could make a drinking game out of how many times Noonan takes a drink of alcohol (liquor, wine and beer), or kisses a woman.

Carlene
12-14-2011, 05:56 AM
I liked it a lot. I'd read the book but couldn't remember it until about the second half - with Sarah, then I remember. Yeah, the drinking! Wow, if I drank that much, not only would I not be able to write - I'd be comatose.

Carlene

Haggis
12-14-2011, 06:10 AM
This is one of the few King books I still haven't read, and a lot of people say it's one of his best books, so maybe I was expecting more from the miniseries. But I was kind of underwhelmed, especially since I've liked Mick Garris's previous two adaptations (The Stand, Desperation).

Part one was kind of draggy and boring. Part two got a little better. I feel like the whole thing could have been an hour shorter and been a much tighter story.

And you could make a drinking game out of how many times Noonan takes a drink of alcohol (liquor, wine and beer), or kisses a woman.

I'm with Chaos. Sort of.

I was underwhelmed with part one, but it had it's moments. I was looking forward to part two. Then the abscess in # 6 started, the root canal procedure followed and I landed in bed, well drugged about 4 PM yesterday PM. I woke up to eat (soup) but was not coherent enough to even think about watching the rest of the show. I feel cheated.

Then again, the codeine was good.

Hope it was good for all y'all.

The show, not the drugs.

Charles Farley
12-14-2011, 06:34 AM

If you are interested Mick also did The shining and Riding the bullet. The shining was awsome . . riding the bullet . . not so much . .

Charles Farley
12-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Who else thought the movie looked great . . I mean the filming. . the atmosphere . .the fly overs of the lake . . the summer house ..

I was alittle disapointed with the flow of the movie though . . it did drag on through some parts .. but over-all another pretty good adaptation of King's work.

Susan Littlefield
12-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Loved The Shining! And, all movies based on SK books.

I thought Bag of Bones had plenty of suspense and I was hooked both nights. However, I think Kelly is right when she says the movie could have been shorter and tighter.

I will now have to re-read the book because I have forgotten the entire story and whether the movie stuck to the book. There were a few areas where I was disappointed, but it was not because of move structure. Things happened that I did not want to happen.

ChaosTitan
12-15-2011, 06:59 PM
If you are interested Mick also did The shining and Riding the bullet. The shining was awsome . . riding the bullet . . not so much . .

Riding the Bullet was pretty bad.

I wasn't terribly fond of The Shining miniseries, and I'm not sure why. I'm not super-loyal to the Jack Nicholson version, but the mini just fell flat for me.

Then again, I think most King adaptations are hit or miss for me. I either love them, or I am generally apathetic.

Dr.Gonzo
12-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Watched it. My missus got me a copy by completely legal means. Quite good. Brosnan was okay... as it always is with books and characters you like, you always get stopped short by things/characters not being how you imagined. I liked it for the most part. Yeah, it was okay. Noticed some other Stephen King nods in it--Annie Wilkes mention, booya moon (song from Dreamcatcher), and the 'Lie still bag of bones' covering the paper is very much like 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy'. no matter how much I like something of King's, I'm always disappointed with the endings, except for 'Salem's lot and The Stand.

COchick
12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I thought it was...okay. I had it playing the second night as I did other things--washed the dishes, wrote, answered emails--and it wasn't enough to keep my attention. The scenery was spectacular, but the story seemed to be missing...something. I don't know. PASS.

ETA: I've also read the book, which is amazing. So maybe that's part of the reason it didn't work so well for me.

Amadan
12-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Booya moon also appears in Lisey's Story.

I liked Bag of Bones (the book) a lot. I didn't see this miniseries since I don't have cable and only watch what I can Netflix. So I'll have to wait until it's available on NF.

I've rarely been impressed by film adaptations of King novels, though.

Medievalist
12-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Bag of Bones[/I] (the book) a lot. I didn't see this miniseries since I don't have cable and only watch what I can Netflix. So I'll have to wait until it's available on NF.

I was very much impressed with the book; the more King I read the more I like him (I'm working my way through a syllabus from MacAllister, who wrote her M.A. thesis on King).

But I'll be waiting for NF as well. I'm planning to watch The Stand as soon as I finish the novel.

Amadan
12-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I was very much impressed with the book; the more King I read the more I like him (I'm working my way through a syllabus from MacAllister, who wrote her M.A. thesis on King).

Really? I don't suppose she's posted it online?

But I'll be waiting for NF as well. I'm planning to watch The Stand as soon as I finish the novel.

The Stand is probably my favorite King book. It's not his best, and it's dated and cheesy and bloated, but I still love it.

The miniseries with Molly Ringwald and Gary Sinese was not too bad.

Medievalist
12-15-2011, 10:48 PM

I did, over at WiS, but I've been messing with the forums there, to test out the new version of vBulletin, and so the post isn't available.

I'll put it up elsewhere in a bit.

The Stand is probably my favorite King book. It's not his best, and it's dated and cheesy and bloated, but I still love it.

The miniseries with Molly Ringwald and Gary Sinese was not too bad.

I think that's the one that's on NetFlix.

Susan Littlefield
12-16-2011, 01:13 AM

I think it's amazing that Mac wrote her thesis on Stephen King.

You will let us know when it's posted online?

Medievalist
12-16-2011, 08:09 AM

I have to finish typesetting etc it first—and that has to wait for me to keyboard the whole thing.

It's not going to happen for a bit. I will post as will MacAllister.

MacAllister
12-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Good heavens, what total suck-ups you people are! It's deadly boring and goes on and on observing various litcrit wankery conventions, but I'm perfectly willing to post a link to punish you with.

Then there'll be a test, after.

blacbird
12-16-2011, 12:14 PM

EXACTLY my impression. God, this thing took a long time to get going.

caw

Camilla Delvalle
12-16-2011, 11:08 PM
This was the book by Stephen King that finally made me fed up with him and made me decide not to read more books by him. I won't go into details, because that would spoil.

If I'll watch the series? Sure. I watch all fantasy and almost all horror.

Camilla Delvalle
12-17-2011, 12:01 AM
I really hope they will show a certain scene at around the middle of the book where the protagonist has his ass kicked by some unexpected offenders, because that was hilarious.

Jamesaritchie
12-17-2011, 02:24 AM
My favorite King novel, and I loved the mini-series to death. Then again, it had Pierce Brosnan in it, so I would have watched it, anyway, but I loved it.

Susan Littlefield
12-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Good heavens, what total suck-ups you people are!

:roll::poke:

Susan Littlefield
12-21-2011, 09:21 AM
My favorite King novel, and I loved the mini-series to death. Then again, it had Pierce Brosnan in it, so I would have watched it, anyway, but I loved it.

Love Pierce Brosnan!

zahra
01-01-2012, 12:27 AM
So excited, will have to distract myself with shiny things til we get this in the UK!

MaryMumsy
01-01-2012, 02:39 AM
This was the book by Stephen King that finally made me fed up with him and made me decide not to read more books by him. I won't go into details, because that would spoil.

For me the book was 'Gerald's Game'. Up till then I bought the newest King as soon as it came out in hard back. Never again. I still go back and read the long version of the Stand every couple of years.

MM