PDA

View Full Version : Rate-a-Poem: Golden Oldie

William Haskins
12-06-2005, 11:15 PM
By Rita Dove (http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/dove/dove.htm)
1952-

Golden Oldie

I made it home early, only to get
stalled in the driveway-swaying
at the wheel like a blind pianist caught in a tune
meant for more than two hands playing.
The words were easy, crooned
by a young girl dying to feel alive, to discover
a pain majestic enough
to live by. I turned the air conditioning off,
leaned back to float on a film of sweat,
and listened to her sentiment:
Baby, where did our love go?-a lament
I greedily took in
without a clue who my lover
might be, or where to start looking.

Sarita
12-07-2005, 02:15 AM
I thought this poem was very well done. It just didn't give me that emotional umph. I gave it 4 stars.

mkcbunny
12-07-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm just catching up today, last poll first. The Owen is my favorite, and I stopped there. I rated this 3, but now that I've read it again and thought more about it, I'd downgrade to a 2. It's just not meaning much more upon multiple readings than it did the first time; it's meaning less. I prefer a poem that makes me reinterpret a bit with each reading, do a double-take, make me think I don't have it down. This one is not doing that for me.

P.H.Delarran
12-07-2005, 10:44 PM
I gave it three stars..I see a trend here, maybe I'm hard to impress?
It was just a nice poem, a quick reminisce to a moment anyone may have experienced on occasion. I'll probably remember the essence of it sometime when some song strikes some sentiment.

trumancoyote
12-07-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure what to vote. I'll admit that the poem did give me the customary shiver that a good poem does, but there's something about it --her diction? I don't know-- that dulls it a bit.

Paint
12-08-2005, 01:08 AM
It is well written. I thought it was a story and not a story that related to me. It left me cool. So three stars. It had some good lines. I like poetry that gives me an ah-ha!

Perks
12-08-2005, 01:51 AM
William, I think there needs to be a step between 'A Masterpiece' and 'A Strong Poem' with the caveat of disappointing elements. I gave it four, because I thoroughly enjoyed the poem, but "masterpiece" I want to reserve for things that inspire a profound reaction. I'm not let down in any way to accept the gift of a simple smile from a poem that makes so much sense to me.

Unique
12-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Funny you should say that...I was looking for the 2.5 choice. It isn't flawed. I just don't like it. It's difficult (for me, personally) to call something 'good' when I don't like it. I did read her other pieces - and I liked them better - so I think it's just this piece. It doesn't moooove me.

William Haskins
12-08-2005, 04:07 AM
tough room...

i'll give it some thought.

Perks
12-08-2005, 04:55 AM
Ha! Or are these nitpicky distinctions between your catagories just showing us up for girls?

ETA: William, these rate and discuss threads are really a great idea and they actually have something to do with <gasp> writing. Not to knock the silly stuff, but this sort of thing gives satisfaction to an otherwise dopey, but profound, addiction. A little meat with my marshmallows, please.

William Haskins
12-08-2005, 05:00 AM
everything's for girls...

so i gave it some thought and plan to, for the short term anyway, keep them as they are. it gives some range, as opposed to the binary "good/bad", without too much nuance which, eventually, would obscure more than it would reveal.

also, in all fairness to me and my damaged brain, the poll is prefaced with:

Rate it below, or expand if no choice applies to you

so, really, the opportunity is there for anyone to qualify their choice (or not) to their heart's desire. this, i feel, will help stimulate some discussion.

Perks
12-08-2005, 07:21 AM
also, in all fairness to me and my damaged brain, the poll is prefaced with:

Rate it below, or expand if no choice applies to you

so, really, the opportunity is there for anyone to qualify their choice (or not) to their heart's desire. this, i feel, will help stimulate some discussion.

Stimulate discussion? I can't effing type! Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to crank out a coherent sentence without so many typos as to render it unreadable? I just want to click a button and be done with it.

But okay, I see your point. Thanks bundles for not doing all the work for us.

Ralyks
12-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I keep rating "flawed" for some of these...but that isn't really it, unless "I don't like it" is a flaw.