Uploading new versions

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this should be here, tech help or epublishing, but I figured the SP folks would know.

If you upload a new version of a book to your KDP dashboard, replacing the previous version, this means that anyone downloading the book will get the new version in future.

But what about people who have already downloaded it? They downloaded teh old version, but when the new version comes out is there version updated also?

Sounds stupid, but I've heard the storeis about books disapearing etc when people connected, so I just wondered if it automatically updated.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I think the readers have to contact Amazon and ask for the new version.

I've seen people put stuff in their product descriptions telling when the new version was updated and telling people to contact Amazon.

This is from The Eternal Eden Trilogy: Newly edited version released on 8/26/11. If you purchased a version that contains incorrect grammar or missing words, please call 1-866-216-1072 to request the updated version free of charge. Or for the UK call 1-206-266-2992.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SI455Q/?tag=absowrit-20

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I've also seen a blurb after buying an e-book that said something like check here if you want to be notified of updates for this book (or something like that). I believe it is up to the person purchasing the book if they want to be notified of updates.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all.

Skellie

Registered
Reaction score
I remembered receiving an email to download the new version of the latest Song of Ice and Fire novel from Amazon. I don't remember opting in to receive email communications - but I certainly didn't mind being told about it. So, all I can conclude is that your readers may (or may not) receive an email notifying them about the update!

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I really hope they don't send out an email every time I upload a new version, considering I update the links at the end of each of my books every time I put out a new release, which means I have to upload a new file. That would be tedious for my readers, especially since nothing's changed except a link at the end for a new book.