No offence Mac, (or whoever) but I just hate that Devil with kids image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
is it from one of those paintings of Dante's hell?

Hate them so much.

and cant block it neither

Paul
frail on the inside

ps, not sure where to post this, so move as needed.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps Mac or Medi could explain some of the images for us mere mortals. I would find it interesting, and enlightening...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
is it from one of those paintings of Dante's hell?

Hate them so much.

and cant block it neither

Paul
frail on the inside

ps, not sure where to post this, so move as needed.

Oh, blossom! :Hug2: It will be gone tomorrow. They did like to scare children, didn't they?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You should be able to block it if it bothers you that much. What browser are you using?

But, really, there is a lot of stuff here and on the Internet I hate. It comes with the idea of people being able to post a variety of opinions and ideas.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I wish it were a bit larger. The resolution makes the text impossible to read on my laptop.

(sorry, Paul ;))

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
You should be able to block it if it bothers you that much. What browser are you using?

But, really, there is a lot of stuff here and on the Internet I hate. It comes with the idea of people being able to post a variety of opinions and ideas.
em, it's not a severe hate, it's more a ugh, yuk.

as to why, dont know, but remember first time i seen those Dante images, wow, made me physically sick.

as for blocking, mozilla firefox, but when i right click the option isnt there.

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
Ooh... is that supposed to be the Krampus? I don't generally notice the pictures at the top anymore. Maybe I should start paying more attention.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
as for blocking, mozilla firefox, but when i right click the option isnt there.

Get Adblocker Plus; it's a Firefox add-on.

It will block the image; I just tried it.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Paul, that's Santa's companion Krampus who handles Santa's "naughty list". Krampus punishes the naughty children (usually with birch switches) while Santa rewards the good children. I was fascinated to learn about this old tradition that I'd never heard of here in the U.S. We know Santa's European origins but evidently we only took on "half the story".

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
This isn't the devil. It's the krampus. Krampus is an AW tradition. If you put krampus in the search box here, you'll pull up multiple threads explaining.
Well went through five links from the one above and ended up in ghostworlds or something.

but, fair nuff, tradition is tradition (and i'm a fan of tradition).

ETA. ah founds Mac's quote on it. ha ha yes, very good

'When the dark edges of things hold real menace, the warmth and light are all the sweeter. That's maybe especially true in the heart of Winter. '

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First thing I did was Google and tin eye the image. Second thing I did was like the fact that different cultures do different things. Third thing I did ... well, lets not go into that. :)

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Well I did some searching and this is what I find. Enjoy.

From the Kuriosita.com site...

http://www.kuriositas.com/2010/12/krampus-santa-claus-secret-weapon.html

But where did the legend of the Krampus originate? The word itself comes from ‘krampen’ and is from Old High German. It means claw.

Krampus is an incubus who accompanies Santa Claus, but does not follow the old man’s prerogative of present giving. An incubus is a demon in male form which visits sleepers and lies upon them (the word comes from the Latin ‘incubo’ which is to lie on top).

The Krampus is not your common or garden night rapist, however: his brief is to punish the children who have misbehaved during the year. In early twentieth century postcards, you can see the whip (or Virgacs) he would carry with him.

And further explanations...

There is high regional diversity – because of the isolation of alpine communities. In Bavarian traditions he is the “Wilde Mann” (nothing to do with Oscar, I can assure you!) and Knecht Rupert elsewhere but the tradition of punishment persists throughout. In the Hungary of the industrial revolution, the legend was softened somewhat. There he is seen as a mischief maker rather than evil and wears a black suit, with our contemporary idea of a suave but nevertheless silly devil fully to the fore. Here, he often carries a Virgacs, which is a set of twigs bound together, which children might get if they misbehave, but only as an accompaniment to their real presents!

And finally, for a modern day celebration...

The largest celebration is in the town of Schladming in Austria. Over a thousand Krampus gather. They carry sticks and light whips to punish those who have misbehaved often targeting, in particular, the young ladies of the town. Many of the young women of the town chose to stay at home on this night, the Germanic predilection for a good whipping being somewhat exaggerated! Some are brave enough to venture out, but they remain wary of any approaches by Krampus!

After seeing the pictures of these guys dressed as Krampus, I can't say I blame the ladies...

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Paul, that's Santa's companion Krampus who handles Santa's "naughty list". Krampus punishes the naughty children (usually with birch switches) while Santa rewards the good children. I was fascinated to learn about this old tradition that I'd never heard of here in the U.S. We know Santa's European origins but evidently we only took on "half the story".
fascinating.

anyone know if it's a branch off from the horned god thingy?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
No offense taken.

Heh. I have some nice Hanukkah images, and a couple of pagan Solstice images, and some more nice Nativity scenes, too -- I just need a couple of extra weeks of Christmas season, though, to rotate 'em all.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Well I did some searching and this is what I find. Enjoy.

From the Kuriosita.com site...

http://www.kuriositas.com/2010/12/krampus-santa-claus-secret-weapon.html

But where did the legend of the Krampus originate? The word itself comes from ‘krampen’ and is from Old High German. It means claw.

Krampus is an incubus who accompanies Santa Claus, but does not follow the old man’s prerogative of present giving. An incubus is a demon in male form which visits sleepers and lies upon them (the word comes from the Latin ‘incubo’ which is to lie on top).

The Krampus is not your common or garden night rapist, however: his brief is to punish the children who have misbehaved during the year. In early twentieth century postcards, you can see the whip (or Virgacs) he would carry with him.

And further explanations...

There is high regional diversity – because of the isolation of alpine communities. In Bavarian traditions he is the “Wilde Mann” (nothing to do with Oscar, I can assure you!) and Knecht Rupert elsewhere but the tradition of punishment persists throughout. In the Hungary of the industrial revolution, the legend was softened somewhat. There he is seen as a mischief maker rather than evil and wears a black suit, with our contemporary idea of a suave but nevertheless silly devil fully to the fore. Here, he often carries a Virgacs, which is a set of twigs bound together, which children might get if they misbehave, but only as an accompaniment to their real presents!

And finally, for a modern day celebration...

The largest celebration is in the town of Schladming in Austria. Over a thousand Krampus gather. They carry sticks and light whips to punish those who have misbehaved often targeting, in particular, the young ladies of the town. Many of the young women of the town chose to stay at home on this night, the Germanic predilection for a good whipping being somewhat exaggerated! Some are brave enough to venture out, but they remain wary of any approaches by Krampus!

After seeing the pictures of these guys dressed as Krampus, I can't say I blame the ladies...
Thanks T.

man am i happy i didnt live in those times.

i thought getting coal in the stocking was harsh enough...

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
No offense taken.

Heh. I have some nice Hanukkah images, and a couple of pagan Solstice images, and some more nice Nativity scenes, too -- I just need a couple of extra weeks of Christmas season, though, to rotate 'em all.
Em, any faeries?

Or jolly snowmen?

LOL.

anyway, i understand now, but it wasnt a theological query, more a 'ugh' reaction.

not worth going down the addplus route methinks.

"and a happy holiday to all!'

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the annual wintertime "What's up with those creepy devil pictures?" thread! I'm starting to think this might be as much a tradition as Krampus himself.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
We need the thirteen Icelandic Christmas trolls rotating up there. Krampus is too scary, even if you've been a good kid.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com