PDA

View Full Version : No offence Mac, (or whoever) but I just hate that Devil with kids image

Paul
12-11-2011, 05:41 AM
is it from one of those paintings of Dante's hell?

Hate them so much.

and cant block it neither

Paul
frail on the inside

ps, not sure where to post this, so move as needed.

SPMiller
12-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Why?

thothguard51
12-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Perhaps Mac or Medi could explain some of the images for us mere mortals. I would find it interesting, and enlightening...

mccardey
12-11-2011, 05:50 AM
is it from one of those paintings of Dante's hell?

Hate them so much.

and cant block it neither

Paul
frail on the inside

ps, not sure where to post this, so move as needed.

Oh, blossom! :Hug2: It will be gone tomorrow. They did like to scare children, didn't they?

alleycat
12-11-2011, 05:50 AM
You should be able to block it if it bothers you that much. What browser are you using?

But, really, there is a lot of stuff here and on the Internet I hate. It comes with the idea of people being able to post a variety of opinions and ideas.

The Lonely One
12-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Actually I wish it were a bit larger. The resolution makes the text impossible to read on my laptop.

(sorry, Paul ;))

Paul
12-11-2011, 05:53 AM
You should be able to block it if it bothers you that much. What browser are you using?

But, really, there is a lot of stuff here and on the Internet I hate. It comes with the idea of people being able to post a variety of opinions and ideas.
em, it's not a severe hate, it's more a ugh, yuk.

as to why, dont know, but remember first time i seen those Dante images, wow, made me physically sick.

as for blocking, mozilla firefox, but when i right click the option isnt there.

Paul
12-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Actually I wish it were a bit larger. The resolution makes the text impossible to read on my laptop.

(sorry, Paul ;))

wow. well different folks and all that...

Soccer Mom
12-11-2011, 05:55 AM
This isn't the devil. It's the krampus. Krampus is an AW tradition (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199865). If you put krampus in the search box here, you'll pull up multiple threads explaining.

Anaquana
12-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Ooh... is that supposed to be the Krampus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus)? I don't generally notice the pictures at the top anymore. Maybe I should start paying more attention.

Paul
12-11-2011, 05:59 AM
This isn't the devil. It's the krampus. Krampus is an AW tradition (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199865). If you put krampus in the search box here, you'll pull up multiple threads explaining.
no prob.

(looks a bit like the Devil mind, although in fairness it's been a while since i signed that Faustian pact all those yrs ago)

Soccer Mom
Hey look! There is even a sticky in the FAQ. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198156&highlight=krampus)

:D No worries, Paul. Just wanted you to know what was up.

alleycat
as for blocking, mozilla firefox, but when i right click the option isnt there.

Get Adblocker Plus; it's a Firefox add-on.

It will block the image; I just tried it.

Ari Meermans
12-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Paul, that's Santa's companion Krampus who handles Santa's "naughty list". Krampus punishes the naughty children (usually with birch switches) while Santa rewards the good children. I was fascinated to learn about this old tradition that I'd never heard of here in the U.S. We know Santa's European origins but evidently we only took on "half the story".

Paul
12-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Well went through five links from the one above and ended up in ghostworlds or something.

but, fair nuff, tradition is tradition (and i'm a fan of tradition).

ETA. ah founds Mac's quote on it. ha ha yes, very good

'When the dark edges of things hold real menace, the warmth and light are all the sweeter. That's maybe especially true in the heart of Winter. '

HarryHoskins
12-11-2011, 06:04 AM
First thing I did was Google and tin eye the image. Second thing I did was like the fact that different cultures do different things. Third thing I did ... well, lets not go into that. :)

Archerbird
12-11-2011, 06:05 AM
There's a big Krampus-thread in Office Party (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197820).

thothguard51
12-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Well I did some searching and this is what I find. Enjoy.

From the Kuriosita.com site...

http://www.kuriositas.com/2010/12/krampus-santa-claus-secret-weapon.html

But where did the legend of the Krampus originate? The word itself comes from ‘krampen’ and is from Old High German. It means claw.

Krampus is an incubus who accompanies Santa Claus, but does not follow the old man’s prerogative of present giving. An incubus is a demon in male form which visits sleepers and lies upon them (the word comes from the Latin ‘incubo’ which is to lie on top).

The Krampus is not your common or garden night rapist, however: his brief is to punish the children who have misbehaved during the year. In early twentieth century postcards, you can see the whip (or Virgacs) he would carry with him.

And further explanations...

There is high regional diversity – because of the isolation of alpine communities. In Bavarian traditions he is the “Wilde Mann” (nothing to do with Oscar, I can assure you!) and Knecht Rupert elsewhere but the tradition of punishment persists throughout. In the Hungary of the industrial revolution, the legend was softened somewhat. There he is seen as a mischief maker rather than evil and wears a black suit, with our contemporary idea of a suave but nevertheless silly devil fully to the fore. Here, he often carries a Virgacs, which is a set of twigs bound together, which children might get if they misbehave, but only as an accompaniment to their real presents!

And finally, for a modern day celebration...

The largest celebration is in the town of Schladming in Austria. Over a thousand Krampus gather. They carry sticks and light whips to punish those who have misbehaved often targeting, in particular, the young ladies of the town. Many of the young women of the town chose to stay at home on this night, the Germanic predilection for a good whipping being somewhat exaggerated! Some are brave enough to venture out, but they remain wary of any approaches by Krampus!

After seeing the pictures of these guys dressed as Krampus, I can't say I blame the ladies...

Paul
12-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Paul, that's Santa's companion Krampus who handles Santa's "naughty list". Krampus punishes the naughty children (usually with birch switches) while Santa rewards the good children. I was fascinated to learn about this old tradition that I'd never heard of here in the U.S. We know Santa's European origins but evidently we only took on "half the story".
fascinating.

anyone know if it's a branch off from the horned god thingy?

MacAllister
12-11-2011, 06:07 AM
No offense taken.

Heh. I have some nice Hanukkah images, and a couple of pagan Solstice images, and some more nice Nativity scenes, too -- I just need a couple of extra weeks of Christmas season, though, to rotate 'em all.

Paul
12-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Well I did some searching and this is what I find. Enjoy.

From the Kuriosita.com site...

http://www.kuriositas.com/2010/12/krampus-santa-claus-secret-weapon.html

But where did the legend of the Krampus originate? The word itself comes from ‘krampen’ and is from Old High German. It means claw.

Krampus is an incubus who accompanies Santa Claus, but does not follow the old man’s prerogative of present giving. An incubus is a demon in male form which visits sleepers and lies upon them (the word comes from the Latin ‘incubo’ which is to lie on top).

The Krampus is not your common or garden night rapist, however: his brief is to punish the children who have misbehaved during the year. In early twentieth century postcards, you can see the whip (or Virgacs) he would carry with him.

And further explanations...

There is high regional diversity – because of the isolation of alpine communities. In Bavarian traditions he is the “Wilde Mann” (nothing to do with Oscar, I can assure you!) and Knecht Rupert elsewhere but the tradition of punishment persists throughout. In the Hungary of the industrial revolution, the legend was softened somewhat. There he is seen as a mischief maker rather than evil and wears a black suit, with our contemporary idea of a suave but nevertheless silly devil fully to the fore. Here, he often carries a Virgacs, which is a set of twigs bound together, which children might get if they misbehave, but only as an accompaniment to their real presents!

And finally, for a modern day celebration...

The largest celebration is in the town of Schladming in Austria. Over a thousand Krampus gather. They carry sticks and light whips to punish those who have misbehaved often targeting, in particular, the young ladies of the town. Many of the young women of the town chose to stay at home on this night, the Germanic predilection for a good whipping being somewhat exaggerated! Some are brave enough to venture out, but they remain wary of any approaches by Krampus!

After seeing the pictures of these guys dressed as Krampus, I can't say I blame the ladies...
Thanks T.

man am i happy i didnt live in those times.

i thought getting coal in the stocking was harsh enough...

Paul
12-11-2011, 06:12 AM
No offense taken.

Heh. I have some nice Hanukkah images, and a couple of pagan Solstice images, and some more nice Nativity scenes, too -- I just need a couple of extra weeks of Christmas season, though, to rotate 'em all.
Em, any faeries?

Or jolly snowmen?

LOL.

anyway, i understand now, but it wasnt a theological query, more a 'ugh' reaction.

not worth going down the addplus route methinks.

"and a happy holiday to all!'

Rhoda Nightingale
12-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Ah, the annual wintertime "What's up with those creepy devil pictures?" thread! I'm starting to think this might be as much a tradition as Krampus himself.

jjdebenedictis
12-11-2011, 07:06 AM
We need the thirteen Icelandic Christmas trolls rotating up there. Krampus is too scary, even if you've been a good kid.

MacAllister
12-11-2011, 07:15 AM
*off to Google images for thirteen Icelandic Christmas Trolls*

BunnyMaz
12-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Just be thankful it isn't Svarte Piet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet).

O_o

thothguard51
12-11-2011, 07:16 AM
We need the thirteen Icelandic Christmas trolls rotating up there. Krampus is too scary, even if you've been a good kid.

Ask and thou shall receive...

From Anthropology suite 101...

http://linda-j-bottjer.suite101.com/icelands-13-christmas-lads-a35794

With names like Pot Licker and Door Slammer you know these Icelandic boys, of the Yuletide seaon, are brimming over with holiday merriment.

Originally the Jólasveinar (or Christmas lads) had parents only the Brothers Grimm would have loved.

Mother Grıla and father Leppalúği were ogres living in the mountains. Grıla was especially ferocious. During the Christmas season she would sweep down from her high terrain abode and not only beg for food, but with her pet, the Yuletide Cat, would also steal and then eat bad children. Talk about a gal with immense holiday anxiety!

Over the centuries, starting in the 13th, regaling children with the bloodthirsty exploits of the female monster was in the repertoire of every Icelandic parent. Being Grıla grub for the holidays was the fear of children across the North Atlantic island.

Read more at Suite101: Iceland's 13 Christmas Lads: Not content with one Yuletide elf – Iceland offers a baker's dozen. | Suite101.com (http://linda-j-bottjer.suite101.com/icelands-13-christmas-lads-a35794#ixzz1gBzEPRCI) http://linda-j-bottjer.suite101.com/icelands-13-christmas-lads-a35794#ixzz1gBzEPRCI (http://linda-j-bottjer.suite101.com/icelands-13-christmas-lads-a35794#ixzz1gBzEPRCI)

Merry Christmas season to all...

James D. Macdonald
12-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Perhaps this (http://satwcomic.com/christmas-traditions) will explain it...

jjdebenedictis
12-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Ask and thou shall receive...YAY!

Nothing says "festivity" (i.e. heavy drinking to ward off S.A.D.) like troll sightings.

Cyia
12-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I don't like the Krampus images, either - never have. Normally, I'd block them, but ad-blocker no longer works with the new versions of Firefox, so I have to scroll off the top of the page really fast.

(Though I've noticed this year's Krampus pics are nowhere near as graphic as the Kramps of Christmas Past.)

cryaegm
12-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I didn't mind the pic so much until I realize the devil looking guy's (I think someone posted here he's Krampus?) tongue was close to the kid's butt.

CACTUSWENDY
12-11-2011, 09:03 AM
And I am still on the record of thinking he is one ugly dude.

zanzjan
12-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Coincidentally, NPR had a thing on the Krampus today:
http://www.npr.org/2011/12/10/143485735/naughty-or-nice-krampus-horror-for-the-holidays

jjdebenedictis
12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I didn't mind the pic so much until I realize the devil looking guy's ... tongue was close to the kid's butt.Whereas the Icelandic Christmas Trolls only have a guy named "pot-licker". See? BIG improvement over Krampus!

mario_c
12-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Then you'll hate the Christmas video in my sig :D

jjdebenedictis
12-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Then you'll hate the Christmas video in my sig :DAUGH! HE RIPPED THEIR ARMS OFF!!

**gibbers in terror**

benbradley
12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Oh, it's only a flesh wound...

Friendly Frog
12-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Just be thankful it isn't Svarte Piet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet).

O_o
Zwarte Piet is cool, though. And most kids love them too. (But the bags of candy he carries just may have something to do with that...)

Tepelus
12-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Then you'll hate the Christmas video in my sig :D

Hahaha! That was great.

Tepelus
12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Oh, it's only a flesh wound...

And very clean. No blood.

bearilou
12-11-2011, 11:02 PM
I love when I learn something new.

I saw the image and just figured it was just a Mac/Medi thing, found it kind of cool in a creepy way and moved on.

Haggis
12-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Didn't David Sedaris do a story about the thirteen Christmas Trolls?

The Lonely One
12-11-2011, 11:24 PM
You know, I'm pretty heavily into sim-racing (though not any good at all at it), and another forum I frequent regarding this has opted to put Christmas lights along its banner and a "Merry Christmas!" logo on there. It also put santa hats on all the smileys.

It's an international forum, even though it requires the use of proper English in posts. Some of the people I race with are from the middle east, some are from Japan or China or Australia, and various other places.

I'm way more offended by that forum's illogical ethnocentricity than I am anything that's ever happened at AW.

By the way can someone let me in on what that "devil" image said? I couldn't read the text :(

Rolling Thunder
12-11-2011, 11:33 PM
There are creepier things out there. Like cats dressed up like Santa or reindeer.

Or dogs wearing beards.

MacAllister
12-11-2011, 11:34 PM
It translates to "Greetings from Krampus"
http://absolutewrite.com/wordpress/var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/uploads//2011/12/krampus151.jpg

Maryn
12-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Didn't David Sedaris do a story about the thirteen Christmas Trolls?Sedaris does "Six to Eight Black Men." We read it aloud every year, once the wine's flowing. It's hilarious.

Maryn, who likes Sedaris a lot

leahzero
12-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Normally, I'd block them, but ad-blocker no longer works with the new versions of Firefox

Oh, but it totally does, girlfriend.

Firefox 8.0 + Adblock Plus 1.3.10 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/?src=search) running fine here.

Make sure you have the official latest versions of everything and you'll be good to go.

Paul
12-12-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm way more offended by that forum's illogical ethnocentricity than I am anything that's ever happened at AW.

yes, that approach (by the site) sounds a bit much in fairness

lots of lovely images lately i have to say.

em, i do hope no one thought i was 'offended' by the K-man on theological grounds. 'twas on nightmares before bedtime grounds only. ;)

Ari Meermans
12-12-2011, 02:17 AM
lots of lovely images lately i have to say.

em, i do hope no one thought i was 'offended' by the K-man on theological grounds. 'twas on nightmares before bedtime grounds only. ;)

I understood, Paul. The first time I saw the image of Krampus at the top of the screen I was a bit disturbed, too. Now, he's grown on me and I look forward to seeing him. But, then, I'm a bit disturbing, as well, I hear. :D

KellyAssauer
12-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Not believing in Santa, the Devil, or Krampus... and having spent most of my adult life unwillingly inundated with the so-called 'holidays' I've reached a certain tolerance level and blank-eyed numbness to it all. Heck, every now and then I'll even play myself a little Christmas carol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nnamssabp#p/u/1/U3yA9VjtjfE

mario_c
12-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Kelly, slowcore carols==awesome!

mario_c
12-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Hahaha! That was great.

AUGH! HE RIPPED THEIR ARMS OFF!!

**gibbers in terror**Thanks! Yeah, I think someone's kid was misbehaving around December, and he was venting a little :ROFL:

Filigree
12-12-2011, 03:05 AM
I used to love Christmas, when I was a kid and a teen. Now, in my 40's, I'm tired of the way it's shoved down our throats here in America. With the subtext of 'If you don't like Christmas, you must be unAmerican, a Satanist, an Atheist, or a Commie.'

I've been hearing the same 30 cheesy songs everywhere I go in public, since the day after Halloween. Satellites could find my neighborhood from upper orbit, just from the decoration lights. The 'Eureka' Christmas special just managed to beat George Lucas' previous record for Worst Christmas Special Evuh. I cheered when Jon Stewart threw down last week with the challenge to the Christmas Nazis: "My fellow Americans, tonight I humbly come before you to declare war on Christmas." Bring it, Brother, they've whined about it often enough, let's give it to them.

So, this year my friends and I are celebrating Festivus, Sunreturn, and Clearance Day, and going out for paintball on December 24th.

Ari Meermans
12-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Over the past few years I've become a (reasonably) tolerant crone. I actually look forward to the holidays in all their tarnished-tinsel glory as break from the short, overcast days and this insufferable cabin fever. I know that once all this is over Spring is just around the corner. Blessed sun and longer warm days.

Paul
12-12-2011, 03:23 AM
yeah, have to say it never bothered me, though maybe it's a bit more low key here. as regards ads, i always mute. and i dont shop ('cept local for groceries and then a once a yr thing) , i dont listen to talk radio and pretty selective on tv stuff. yeah, so, i prob just dont get the exposure.

did watch Scrooged tonight, great fun.

mario_c
12-12-2011, 03:25 AM
*checks to see if Bad Santa is on Netflix* :banana:

Paul
12-12-2011, 03:26 AM
*checks to see if Bad Santa is on Netflix* :banana:
LOL!!!

love that movie so much

Elaine Margarett
12-12-2011, 03:55 AM
em, it's not a severe hate, it's more a ugh, yuk.

as to why, dont know, but remember first time i seen those Dante images, wow, made me physically sick.

Maybe that's where my extreme adversion to violence comes from! I remember seeing those images, for some reason they were all over these NEW England magazines my parents subscribed to. I hated the depiction of torture and violence. It too, made me ill.

I hate violent movies. Won't watch them. Weird that I was a casualty photographer for four years.

Yeah, it messed me up a little~

Paul
12-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Maybe that's where my extreme adversion to violence comes from! I remember seeing those images, for some reason they were all over these NEW England magazines my parents subscribed to. I hated the depiction of torture and violence. It too, made me ill.

I hate violent movies. Won't watch them. Weird that I was a casualty photographer for four years.

Yeah, it messed me up a little~
I also just remembered being very upset and nauseous when i saw 'Beatrix Potter' in the cinema as a 9 yr old.

(animals portrayed as humans. not the bugs bunny type, this was actual people dressed as animals and dancing about the place. it was horrendous)

now that i think of it any form of animals as humans scares the bejbus outta me. (the human mixed with goat/ beastie form of the Krampus and Devil creatures)

Oh, Freud, Freud, where are you now..?

Eldritch
12-12-2011, 04:48 AM
I really liked the Krampus images. Thanks, Mac.

pdblake
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Me too, there's got to be a story in there somewhere:)

Ken
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
... I am frightened by Krampus.
(Even more than by the Boggey Man.)
I am glad that he was made to go away.
Thank you kindly for that,
Ken
:chair

crunchyblanket
12-12-2011, 06:22 PM
I thought the Krampus image was fantastic. It made me head straight for Google and I learned all sorts of interesting things.

Phaeal
12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Okay, I guess I missed the pic that started this thread. But I'm seriously squicked out by the horny Easter bunny with the enigmatic egg. Methinks it's a Krampus in disguise!

And I can see Freud (Viggo Mortensen-version) doing a major coffee spit-take over the pic of the lady astride the, um, bundle of switches.)

Shocked, simply shocked!

crunchyblanket
12-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Okay, I guess I missed the pic that started this thread. But I'm seriously squicked out by the horny Easter bunny with the enigmatic egg. Methinks it's a Krampus in disguise!

Yeah. I had to double-take at that too. Is it weird that I find the bunny creepier than the Krampus?

Ken
12-13-2011, 12:44 AM
... at first it just seemed like an innocent bunny rabbit.
After reading CBlanket's and Phaeal's posts I am no longer so sure.
Better play it safe.
:chair

aadams73
12-13-2011, 12:58 AM
It's okay, Paul. I'm sure Krampus isn't hiding under your bed, waiting...

Fairly sure.

Kinda sure.

Did you hear something?

Storm Surge
12-13-2011, 01:20 AM
The rabbit thing was horrifying. The picture that's up right now... beyond awesome!

Tifferbugz
12-13-2011, 01:30 AM
I thought the bunny was cute. But the kid in the pic with the bunny was definitely a tad creepy.

quicklime
12-13-2011, 01:49 AM

they are one of my favorite things here :tongue

heisei
12-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Ugh, I just have to point out that Krampus doesn't accompany Santa Claus, but St. Nicholas. On 6th December in Croatia, children clean their shoes and place them on the window sill and St. Nicholas puts presents in them if they've been good. If they've been bad, Krampus gives them stones/coal/rods.

It's a very popular tradition. Often schools will have people dress as St. Nicholas and Krampus to visit classes on that day and Krampus will chase kids around.

...and now that I'm writing this, I realize how mighty weird that is.

frimble3
12-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Unless my eyes decieve me (not unlikely) today's picture is a lovely tradional winter scene. With a UFO hovering? UFO WTF? Where do you people find this stuff? And, can I get a subscription? Or at least a link?

Medievalist
12-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Unless my eyes decieve me (not unlikely) today's picture is a lovely tradional winter scene. With a UFO hovering? UFO WTF? Where do you people find this stuff? And, can I get a subscription? Or at least a link?

Mac doesn't believe in sleep and has a fabulous time collecting holiday images.

frimble3
12-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Definitely time well spent! Love the selection.

Phaeal
12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
If they've been bad, Krampus gives them stones/coal/rods.

Heh heh, he said rods.

Hunh hunh, yeah, and stones.

Yeah, and the lady in the picture is, like, pulling the horny dude's beard.

Hunh hunh.

Heh heh.

Drachen Jager
12-14-2011, 02:51 AM
Krampus Day (http://videosift.com/video/Happy-Krampus-Day-Holy-Crap-Austria-you-scary) in Austria