E-Publishing and Self Publishing: compare and contrast.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
ONCE AGAIN--

Epublishing and self-publishing are two entirely different things.

Epublished books are accepted by a publisher through a submission process, edited for content, proofread, given a cover and formatted, turned into multiple formats and released by a publisher with web presence and a pre-established platform.

What YOU folks are talking about is SELF-publishing for which none of this ^^^ happens.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
ONCE AGAIN--

Epublished books are accepted by a publisher through a submission process, edited for content, proofread, given a cover and formatted, turned into multiple formats and released by a publisher with web presence and a pre-established platform.

What YOU folks are talking about is SELF-publishing for which none of this ^^^ happens.

Good point!

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
ONCE AGAIN--

E-publishing encompasses both self-published and specialty published e-books so this seems like a pefectly reasonable place to discuss it. The subforum about covers and formatting surely isn't for the publishers you're referring to and the mods seem pretty good about moving stuff they believe has been categorized incorrectly.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Okay, mscelina, but I reserve the right to know and define for myself the differences between self-epublished, self-print published, self-published, traditionally-published, commercially-published, vanity-published, etc., etc., etc.

I'm pretty damned clear when I talk about Kindle that I mean, for the most part, self-epublished, but if you insist on splitting hairs, you can re-edit my posts at your convenience, thanks very much.

Honestly, though. The differences, while meaningful in a "commercially published vs self-published" definition, mean little to anyone who hasn't been in the biz for awhile. Heck, even pros I know don't always know where the lines divide anymore so arguing about the lines is like arguing about which pigeon came out of which hole.

I publish my stuff to entertain people and I charge a certain price for that entertainment. How does that make my stuff any less commercial than Stephen King's except for popularity? He's Frito-Lay, I'm No Name Chips. We're both trying to make stuff people are willing to shell out money for.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, mscelina, but I reserve the right to know and define for myself the differences between self-epublished, self-print published, self-published, traditionally-published, commercially-published, vanity-published, etc., etc., etc.

I'm pretty damned clear when I talk about Kindle that I mean, for the most part, self-epublished, but if you insist on splitting hairs, you can re-edit my posts at your convenience, thanks very much.

Well, you can define any words for yourself any way you like, but people will tend to correct you when you use them in a way that is different from how most people use them.

Honestly, though. The differences, while meaningful in a "commercially published vs self-published" definition, mean little to anyone who hasn't been in the biz for awhile. Heck, even pros I know don't always know where the lines divide anymore so arguing about the lines is like arguing about which pigeon came out of which hole.

I think the value in "splitting hairs" is precisely to prevent self-published books from being blurred with professionally e-published books. Self-publishers would like very much to be considered the same as a writers who've been edited and trade-published, but as a reader, I'd like very much to maintain the distinction and avoid letting the one be confused for the other.

I publish my stuff to entertain people and I charge a certain price for that entertainment. How does that make my stuff any less commercial than Stephen King's except for popularity? He's Frito-Lay, I'm No Name Chips. We're both trying to make stuff people are willing to shell out money for.

Actually, the comparison is more like Frito-Lay vs. homemade potato product of uncertain provenance baked in someone's kitchen. It might be better than Frito-Lay, it might be inedible.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
E-publishing encompasses both self-published and specialty published e-books so this seems like a pefectly reasonable place to discuss it. The subforum about covers and formatting surely isn't for the publishers you're referring to and the mods seem pretty good about moving stuff they believe has been categorized incorrectly.

No, it doesn't. And my POINT is that the ARTICLE is misnamed. The article doesn't have one darn thing to do with any e-publisher EXCEPT the author who builds his own formats and self-publishes it.

E-publishing is completely different from self-publishing. You are a self-publisher: you publish your own work. I am an e-publisher. I publish the work of other people after they survive my submission process.

You're trying to equate Little League with MLB. Just because your kid wears a uniform and plays for the Lancaster Rockies doesn't make him a MLB star. Just sayin'.

And I reserve the right to tell you that your 'definition' is incorrect. As it is.

It's not splitting hairs. I don't claim to be a Big Six publisher. What I am is an e-publisher: owner of a company that publishes authors professionally. I put MY money into other people's manuscripts.

What is discussed in this article is an author publishing himself. That's not the same thing at all. But if you think that this distinction is 'splitting hairs' then I'll contact Putnam and Simon and Shuster and let them know to move over--the Big Six has been increased by one. They'll be so pleased.

Again-totally wrong. As a publisher, I have the responsibility of making certain that my target market receives a high standard product that meets my specifications for quality. Why? Because I *have* a market. Because my brand is on every book we release. Because I and my staff put a great deal of work and effort into every manuscript we release. We don't just format a word document, slap a photoshop cover on it and throw it out into the world to sink or swim.

I can't speak for the quality of your work; I haven't seen it. But I can look at the 200 plus books that will be released by the end of the year and the 300 contracted books for 2012, to the 150 authors, the editorial staff of 25, an intern staff of 15, the artists, the designers, the techno-monkey staff and the marketers and promoters and I KNOW what the quality of our work is. And I damn well expect it.

And regardless of what the majority of self-publishers claim, the fact of the matter is simple--fewer than 1% of the books self-published in the last year are of a readable quality. Musa authors are screened on multiple levels before they are accepted. Their manuscripts are edited multiple times in content edits, then proofed and formatted, then line edited, then developed and designed into a final package that benefits from the experience and expertise of 10-15 publishing industry professionals.

Do we hit the mark every time? Nope. Publishing is a gamble. But getting published by a legitimate e-publisher? That means an author's work is actually DEVELOPED and MARKETED with an eye to building a readership.

And my authors don't spend one thin dime to get that done.

THAT is the difference between e-publishing and self-publishing. E-publishing is like auditioning for and being cast in a musical.

Self-publishing is karaoke.

They both sound good to the singer, but the standards in a musical are much higher.

Well, you can define any words for yourself any way you like, but people will tend to correct you when you use them in a way that is different from how most people use them.

I think the value in "splitting hairs" is precisely to prevent self-published books from being blurred with professionally e-published books. Self-publishers would like very much to be considered the same as a writers who've been edited and trade-published, but as a reader, I'd like very much to maintain the distinction and avoid letting the one be confused for the other.

Actually, the comparison is more like Frito-Lay vs. homemade potato product of uncertain provenance baked in someone's kitchen. It might be better than Frito-Lay, it might be inedible.

QFT.

With self-publishing and e-publishing, the expectations are different.

An e-published book has (should have been at least) vetted in some way before it's published. But the standards for self-published books are much lower. That's not based on any factor whatsoever other than the expectation that has been built from the self-published books already on the market. Add in the content farmers and the asshats who add a 30-word introduction to Alice in Wonderland and then list themselves as a co-author on the buy page and you're looking at tens of thousands of self-published books with serious content issues.

Here's the odd thing--I believe that self-publishing is a great option for some writers: writers with a niche market, non-fiction stories/memoirs, midlisters wanting to get their backlists out. I believe that self-publishing provides some authors with a valuable avenue for them and their work.

But it's not the same thing as e-publishing. No way, no how. And no matter how much self-published authors try to blur the dividing lines between legitimate e-publishing and self-publishing, they're not now and never will be the same thing.

And it's articles like the one in the OP that keep trying to keep that distinction from the public's eye.

So you can switch up the terminology all you like and argue that it's all semantics, but the fact of the matter is that this is what you WANT to believe, and what you want READERS to believe. But I publish bestselling authors and up and rising stars.

I don't publish myself.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Well, congratu-freaking-lations and good luck. We'll agree to disagree on the semantics and the splitting of hair and pigeon-holing. I've had that argument with others off this forum.

Some people obviously fail to recognize the "respect your fellow writer" rule here.

With that said, I'm out of this discussion.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
To denigrate self-publishing is a bit dinosaurish these days. The publishing landscape is changing rapidly and will continue to do so (I think at an exponential rate). I have read (or tried to read) some terrible books published the old-fashioned way (allegedly edited and fact-checked) and the same with self-published books; but the reverse is also true. There are some excellent self-published books available now, as more and more professional authors step up to bat to get their fair--and well-deserved--share of the revenue.

Brian January
http://amzn.com/B005WM0HN6

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
To denigrate self-publishing is a bit dinosaurish these days. The publishing landscape is changing rapidly and will continue to do so (I think at an exponential rate). I have read (or tried to read) some terrible books published the old-fashioned way (allegedly edited and fact-checked) and the same with self-published books; but the reverse is also true. There are some excellent self-published books available now, as more and more professional authors step up to bat to get their fair--and well-deserved--share of the revenue.

Brian January
http://amzn.com/B005WM0HN6

Well, the number of self-published ebooks being thrown onto Amazon is certainly growing at an exponential rate. Good luck getting that fair, well-deserved share of the revenue.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
No, it doesn't. And my POINT is that the ARTICLE is misnamed.

I still don't get it. This thread is named "The more I read, the more I feel lost."

I can't see anything there objectionable. And then reading the post it is blatantly obvious that the author is talking about self-publishing this ebook. I don't see anything to indicate the author is confused about the two, and I can't imagine anyone reading it being confused about who would be the eventual publisher of the ebook being discussed.

So if the objection is that the scope of this forum is or should be limited to just discussion of professional, multi-author e-publishers, that's fine if that's how AW wants it. But the mods haven't moved the thread, and the fact that there's a subforum about cover creation obviously targeted at self-publishers would lead one to believe otherwise about the scope of this forum.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com

Self-publishing is the old-fashioned way. :) It's been around a long time. I don't believe anyone on this thread would argue there are good and bad books coming from all avenues. The issue is about blurring lines. As I said up-tread, self publish is self publish. E-publish is a format of delivery and may be self-published or not. E-publish does not mean the same thing as self-publish no matter who would like to believe it does. Blurring the lines doesn't help new writers who are unfamiliar with publishing terms.

The same thing happened with Self-Publishing and Independent Publishing. Although Independent Publishing already had a definition, it was hi-jacked and it still confuses people who now lump them all in one basket. I see the same thing happening with e-publishing. When someone comes along claiming e-publishing refers to self-publishing, it's not helpful, for some it's confusing.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've peeled this conversation out of the thread it started in so that we can now stay on-topic.

mscelina, I know this subject is one that you've discussed over and over, and I can quite understand that you find it frustrating that not everyone understands the differences between e-publishing and self-publishing: but not everyone has the same level of experience as you do; and people make mistakes. I'd appreciate it if you'd dial back a bit on the irritation front, understandable though it is.

FOTSGreg, while I have your attention: you seem to have taken offense where none was intended and read far more into mscelina's comment than was actually there. If you find a post insulting, all you have to do is report it. As for your comment about hair-splitting: all mscelina was doing was pointing out the correct definitions of various terms. That's not hair-splitting, that's accuracy. I like accuracy. It helps us all understand what we're talking about. Which is good, right?

OK, then. On with the discussion. Here's my view.

E-publishing is simply a container for us to pour our content into, as are hardback, paperback, and audio books. Whether we choose to work with a trade publisher in order for us to pour our content into some or all of these containers, or to publish our books ourselves and be the one doing the pouring, is another matter entirely.

Carry on.

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
E-publishing is simply a container for us to pour our content into, as are hardback, paperback, and audio books. Whether we choose to work with a trade publisher in order for us to pour our content into some or all of these containers, or to publish our books ourselves and be the one doing the pouring, is another matter entirely.

Exactly!

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
What really gets my goat is self-publishers calling themselves 'indie-publishers'.

I guess it's because I was in the indie music business scene and I most certainty did not self-publish my own LP's. The term really threw me for a bit (as I suspect might be part of the point) until I realized that people calling themselves 'indie' weren't represented by small independent publishers, but through vanity and Createspace.

I don't mind purchasing self-published books if the story appeals to me, but I DO mind being willfully misled.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I feel addressed!:)
I posted a thread in this forum about my own foray into the world of ebooks. I do understand the difference; but whereas I have experience with self-publishing books on Lulu (which I have done several times, for myself, friends and family) I am a complete novice when it comes to e-format; so it was help on the specifics of the e-world I was looking for in posting here. Heck, I didn't even own a Kindle till about 2 weeks ago (and love it!)
So do feel free to move my thread over to SP, if that is more appropriate: if I have trespassed into professional territory, and if it blurs the lines.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Epublishing is to do with format. Self-publishing is to do with who puts the money in and whether or not your book's made it past gatekeepers.

I will never, ever, ever self-publish because if something I write isn't good enough to make it past a gatekeeper, I have no right to expect a reader to shell out money for it.

I'm more than happy to epublish, though.

The two are completely different things and anyone who says it's a matter of semantics or hair-splitting is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

The two terms are not interchangeable and never will be.

One is related to format, the other is related to whether or not you have any backers.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think you've electronically published (a.k.a. ePublished) if you've published your book electronically. Period. That term is pretty straight forward. No implication of vetting is made with that term. It's just another way of presenting your work. POD, off-set printing, clay-tablet etching, pounding your words into plates of brass, or even ePublishing, are all just ways to get your books to market (some more effectively than others). None of these imply a "vetting" of any kind.
do boi nu quan ao nu han quoc yem an cho be chan vay cong so chan vay cong so chup anh thoi trang
The difference is in how you word the sentence. ie. "I've ePublished my novel" that means you've self published your novel electronically. Opposed to, "I'm ePublished." Which means I am published electronically. The latter implies a publisher.

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
The difference is in how you word the sentence. ie. "I've ePublished my novel" that means you've self published your novel electronically. Opposed to, "I'm ePublished." Which means I am published electronically. The latter implies a publisher.

That sounds like the sort of pedantic distinction that might make an interesting Language Log post, but is unhelpful when talking about publishing.

Basically, you're using the passive voice to distinguish between someone else publishing your book and you publishing it yourself.

"Self-published" is much more clear.

Reaction score
Would a traditionally-published author say "I've paperbacked my novel," or "I've hardbacked my novel?" No; they'd say "I've had my novel published."

Nine times out of ten, when someone refers to format, i.e. "I've epublished my novel," they're masking the fact they published it, regardless of format, themselves.

I don't care what format a book comes in -- I've read hardback, paperback and Kindle books -- but I do care whether or not a book's been through the gatekeeper system. Some may say that's judgemental of me, but I can live with that. It's my £££ we're talking about being spent on these books.

Or not.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
That sounds like the sort of pedantic distinction that might make an interesting Language Log post, but is unhelpful when talking about publishing.

Basically, you're using the passive voice to distinguish between someone else publishing your book and you publishing it yourself.

"Self-published" is much more clear.

It was to illustrate the point. It wouldn't be false. I'd think someone disingenuous if they said "I'm ePublished," when what they meant is "I'm self published" the same way I think someone's disingenuous when they say "I'm indie published" when what they mean is "self published" do boi nam ca tinh quan ao nu dep tat so sinh cho be ao so mi nu ao so mi nu chup anh dam cuoi

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Would a traditionally-published author say "I've paperbacked my novel," or "I've hardbacked my novel?" No; they'd say "I've had my novel published."

Nine times out of ten, when someone refers to format, i.e. "I've epublished my novel," they're masking the fact they published it, regardless of format, themselves.

do boi nam dep quan ao nu tat so sinh ao so mi cong so ao so mi cong so chup anh su kien
If you're published, just say "I'm published" I've honestly never heard someone say "I'm ePublished" before, and like you said, mentioning format makes it seem like they're trying say something more than they're saying.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The two terms are not interchangeable and never will be.

One is related to format, the other is related to whether or not you have any backers.

Well, in may case, there IS an interlap.

I intend to self-publish two books in e-format. Both have made it past backers.

One is a retelling of the Mahabharata, a magnificent book that has sold probably as much as the Bible (just not necessarily in English), and of which there are already many-English language versions on the market. Just that mine is different (ie: better! says she modestly;))

The other is a novel that was already published by a Big 6 publisher, went out of print; I got the rights reversed, and now I intend to e-publish it. It has sold over 60000 copies in English, more in French. That's backing enough for me.

I have six other manuscript: novels, non-fiction, a memoir. I will not e-publish them; never will. Though I always say: never say never.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
if I have trespassed into professional territory, and if it blurs the lines.

Any of your toes on the professional lawn is not trespassing. It's coming home.

In the case of your latest venture, it's a self-published ebook, and in my opinion, something of a valuable yardstick for that medium.

So, whatever forum ends up hosting a discussion of your process for your latest book, you ain't trespassing anywhere, lady.

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
worldsunimagined.blogspot.com
I guess it's because I was in the indie music business scene and I most certainty did not self-publish my own LP's.

For the same reason that few people self-published their own print books; the system wasn't set up to do that. Many bands 'self-publish' their own CDs to sell at gigs because it's cheap and easy, and I own plenty of them.

Back on the original topic, I remember when publishers laughed at self-published fiction (mostly for good reasons), whereas these days when I see publishers talking about self-publishers I often sense a strong smell of fear in the air.

What a difference a couple of years makes.