PDA

View Full Version : Dumb(kinda) question about my truck tires and winter

Fenika
12-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I've driven my truck in bad weather before on ice and snow.. And during that state of emergency when it was illegal... But living below the snow line it was just something you handled by driving carefully and then it passed.

But now I'm in PA, surrounded by mountains and there are actual hills and slopes here that arent exit ramps. Shocking. So: do I need to invest in winter tires or should I get snow chains for my all around tires? Current tires are fairly new and the treads look great.

Cheers for the help.

thothguard51
12-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Is your truck 4-wheel drive?

Up north, you want all season tires on a car. For a truck, mud and snow tires on the rear and all season tires on the front, unless its four wheel drive and then you want mud and snow tires all around.

Of course, you could just stay in or ride one of the horses to the store. Horse back riding in the snow is so much fun...

Fenika
12-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Yep, 4wd Silverado 2500 Diesel. So I guess I'm going to need to spend money I dont have on tires. At least they'll last many years.

And I'd love to ride a horse all winter but it might get cold at 4am going to work. But if I get a mare motel pen and a round pen and LOTs of hay, then I just have to buy a steady ole horse. Maybe something gaited so we can cruise.

KellyAssauer
12-10-2011, 10:16 PM
As a long time *shudder* resident of PA... my answer isn't going to help a ton. In my county (middle of the state) the road crews are fairly exceptional. Our local state roads, interstate and connectors are cleared as the snow hits. However - there's always going to be that one to five times a winter when they don't get to it when you need it, or the plow broke (it happened!) and you find yourself on roads that maybe your vehicle shouldn't be on... or you have a long dirt driveway, or live so far back that you're the last one dug out... etc etc

That's when you need the snow tires. Two-wheel drive pick-up trucks with nothing in the bed have no weight over the wheels and can become very tricky to drive even with the best tires... (extra full feed sacks can help!) - four wheel drive and front wheel drive vehicles can often benefit from having snow tires on just the front wheels.

So it's hard to say exactly what will fit your needs. One thing I have learned over the years is to buy an extra set of rims (junk yard!) and have the winter treads already mounted and balanced on them, and ready to go. No waiting at the station, no charges twice a year to put them on or take them off, and if there's a surprise October or May snow storm, jack it up and change tires. (I can do this!)

I'd ask your neighbors before running out and possibly spending too much. They will know how well the road crews do in the winter. =)

Shadow_Ferret
12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I had all-terrain truck tires on my Bronco. I live in Wisconsin. They were just fine.

Maryn
12-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I drive a minivan, not a truck, in western New York state, and I've never felt any need for 'special' winter tires. If I lived in an area where they don't plow and salt, or can't keep up (budget cuts are doing that, I hear) I might reconsider, but I'm still on the tires which came on the vehicle regardless of season.

Unless you're a dolt*, you still slow down on curves and brake early unless the streets are completely clear.

Maryn, who learned to drive in a warm climate

* There are plenty of dolts, naturally

Fenika
12-10-2011, 11:31 PM
I take winding country roads to work, and I've been known to be a dolt in the early morning ;) I figure I should do something...