PDA

View Full Version : Latest Purchases Thread

Victoria R
12-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Exactly what it says on the tin, what are your latest purchases?

For me, recently I've got:

I have recently bought:

Xbox 360 Console

Kindle Fire

jjdebenedictis
12-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Four calling birds, three French Hens, two turtledoves and a cartridge in Atari.

Okay, really: One glass bird, one pretty ring, nine solar lanterns, and a remote-controlled floating clownfish.

And what I really need, right now, is an embarrassingly large glass of wine.

bettielee
12-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I finally bought some shoes, with a Kohl's card I had since my birthday. With it, I got Kohl's cash, which was enough to buy a 2gig flashdrive. Yays!

Cliff Face
12-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Oh, I'm going to love this thread! I'm such a shopaholic!

I'm not going to mention food and drink in here, or I'd be posting way too often and in danger of spamming the thread.

But today I bought:

Scream 4 at half price. I saw a catalogue last night for my local DVD/CD/tech store, and I noticed this bargain. It was full-price for the last month or so while I've been eyeing it off, but now I've got myself a bargain. :D I still have to watch Scream 3 tonight, before I can let myself watch 4. I've seen 3 before, years ago, but can't remember whodunnit, so it should be good. :)

A book titled "Spent: Memoirs Of A Shopping Addict" by Avis Cardella, that I picked up heaps cheap from a book sale. I wasn't intending on buying any more books at the moment, but I saw this one at a sale that is a temporary fixture at the shops (like, the entire book stall could disappear any day) and had to have it. So yeah, I'm a bit of an addict myself... Not as bad as Avis though.

A 10-trip bus ticket, so that I can actually get to work this coming week... Not very exciting, but it cost nearly as much as Scream 4, and about triple the price of Spent.

BotByte
12-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Another German import mechanical keyboard to add to my collection.

Yamaha CR-2040 in pristine condition
LEDS for above. Gonna put some real lights in it.

Zippo lighter fluid and flints

Gifts:
5 cases of Fazzino Romeo y Julieta Museum Edition Box (36)
I got the above for finishing this guy's full front yard gate as a bonus for my good work.

KellyAssauer
12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Since I have no disposable income... 3 pounds of chicken (on sale) a gallon of ice tea, and ciggys. Last time I bought something other than essentials was...

dang, I don't remember.

Cliff Face
12-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Are you making smoked iced chicken? :tongue

Actually, I bought cigarettes today too, and had chicken for dinner. *represent high five*

milly
12-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I totally just bought one of these yesterday but in hot pink...yes, because I can!!!!

:)

http://www.homesupplies-b2b.com/b2b/pics/Refillable_Child_Proof_Gas_Lighter.jpg

KellyAssauer
12-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I totally just bought one of these yesterday but in hot pink...yes, because I can!!!!

Where can you buy hot pink chickens?

milly
12-10-2011, 04:42 PM
ARGH...my pic didn't post properly...haha

scarletpeaches
12-10-2011, 04:57 PM
A couple of books for my Kindle, including Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. firedrake made me buy it. Said it's a great book. :D

KellyAssauer
12-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Kindle Fihttp://pages.eggge.com/images/52.gifre

[img]http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/
kindle/otter/dp/KO-slate-02-lg._V164817995_.jpg[img]

Victoria R:

Our thread Mod, Silver King, made a wonderfully informative* post only yesterday regarding the policy of hotlinking images to this site. It's so darn good I'm going to quote it:

... can you please edit your original post so the images aren't directly linked from that site? You can save them to an image sharing site, such as Photobucket, then repost them here.

You can read more about our image linking policy in this post. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217563)

Thanks.

This, and many other interesting tidbits of great importance can be found here in the newbie guide. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315)

Thanks!

*:D

KyraDune
12-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two
Pirates of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (with Johnny Depp)
Alice in Wonderland (with Johnny Depp)
Yes, I like Johnny Depp.

Mr Flibble
12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
My kids have long since given up asking for a console, because the answer is always no, they can find more interesting things to do.

I bought them a Playstation Move for Christmas :D

Shhh, say nothing!

Cliff Face
12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
:D

Silver King
12-11-2011, 04:12 AM
Our thread Mod, Silver King, made a wonderfully informative* post only yesterday regarding the policy of hotlinking images to this site.
Yes, that was quite an excellent post he made. ;)

(I've deleted the hot-linked image from the original post and from Kelly's quote. The OP may repost the image, but only if it's saved to an image sharing site first. If she prefers, she can choose to create a hyperlink instead that leads to the original image.)

DragonHeart
12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
New England Patriots glass candy jar
My Neighbor Totoro two-disc special edition on Blu-ray
Cuisinart 77-10 Chef's Classic stainless steel 10 piece cookware set
Bar Keepers Friend cookware cleanser and polish

Yes I am Christmas shopping lol. None of the above are for me.

rhymegirl
12-12-2011, 06:15 AM
We just purchased a new floor for our bedroom. Yes, got rid of the ugly old blue carpet we've had in there for 14 years. It looks like a brand new room now!

Silver King
12-12-2011, 06:18 AM
We just purchased a new floor for our bedroom. Yes, got rid of the ugly old blue carpet we've had in there for 14 years. It looks like a brand new room now!
Did you actually replace the floor in the room, Katho, or just the carpet?

rhymegirl
12-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Did you actually replace the floor in the room, Katho, or just the carpet?

It is a brand new floor. It's beautiful!

Cliff Face
12-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Cool! :)

Today I bought groceries. Top of the list was 4 cans of Red Bull and a ready-made lasagne we're about to have for dinner.

(Sorry. I know I said I wouldn't post about food purchases. But I didn't buy anything other than food today! And I just wanted to be included. :tongue)

writerterri
12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Antacid.

KellyAssauer
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I didn't really buy this so much as I 'rented' it:

A Market Trends Analyst. I'm going to have them run about the internet to various online forums and see what's selling this xmas so I can invest properly.

:D

Cliff Face
12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Went shopping with mum and the grandparents tonight at a VIP sale. All tech products.

So the grandparents bought mum a coffee machine with bonus grinder (which I'll probably use a lot more than mum will). Mum bought sister a printer with WiFi and also some extra ink. And I picked out an iPod Shuffle for myself, which mum paid for as part of my Christmas present.

Good night for it, I reckon. :)

Cliff Face
12-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Today I spent my $20 Christmas voucher for the store I work at (it's in lieu of a cash bonus I think). It would've been about $28 before my discount, but then with staff discount and the voucher, I wound up paying less than $4. :)

Among my gems are a 20x25cm art canvas so I can try my hand at a painting, a giant can of Pringles (I love those so much), 2 bunches of plastic flowers for my grandparents (my uncle, their son, died when I was young, and it's his birthday anniversary tomorrow, and they wanted flowers for his grave) and 6 coat hangers with clips for hanging up pants.

I'm quite happy with my purchases today. :) (And I even got 2 new lighters, just in case my current one craps out on me.)

Cliff Face
12-15-2011, 03:00 PM
And yes, the store I work at has a very large variety of fairly random things. :tongue

kayleamay
12-15-2011, 10:31 PM
2 bathroom vessel sinks
2 faucets
tile
grout
sheetrock
thinset
plywood
light fixtures
cabinets

Yeah, I'm remodeling my bathroom. My next shopping spree will be just about as exciting as this one. It will include a bathtub and and heating coils for under the flooring. But, when all is said and done, my circa 1962 bathroom will be a contemporary oasis. I may just decide to live in there.

LilGreenBookworm
12-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I bought Morrowind, Game of the Year edition for the hubby for Christmas, since he's been whining that he lost his. I'm bidding on a little suitcase for kiddo: he's huge into cars and it's a rolling suitcase shaped like a jeep. Since we travel a lot (and usually just him and I) I thought it would be nice for him to have his own little backpack type thing. It'll make him feel important and lighten my load a bit too.

SinisterCola
12-20-2011, 05:30 AM
New Car (well a used car, but it's new enough for me!)

Silver King
12-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I bought a Kindle Touch this month. I have a Kindle Keyboard but wanted to experience the Touch and am glad I bought it.
Just a quick note to mention that the original poster of this thread has been banned for spamming.

I've also got my eye on you, Warren.

Cliff Face
12-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Just a quick note to mention that the original poster of this thread has been banned for spamming.

I've also got my eye on you, Warren.

Does this mean the thread will die? Because even though it was created by a spammer, I like having somewhere to talk about shopping and purchases... Maybe others feel the same way?

Then again, the thread did die temporarily anyway...

So, considering this might be the last post in this thread before it's locked, allow me the frivolity of revelling in products. :)

Part 2 of mum's Christmas present to me is a CD by The Agonist, "Once Only Imagined". She also ordered me their other CD, which I happen to already own, but when she went to cancel that 2nd CD she found the order hadn't been able to be processed.

So I have no idea when I'm getting "Once Only Imagined"... It was going to be after Christmas, maybe early January anyway, but if the order wasn't processed... Probably mid-January. :(

And then on the weekend I bought myself Angel season 5 (I now have the complete collection of Buffy and Angel on DVD, as well as all that was ever released on VHS - love Joss Whedon. *heart*) on sale, as well as Seasons 1-5 of 30 Rock on sale.

Presently I have very little money, but will get paid again tomorrow. And I want to treat myself to Seasons 1-6 of House in a box set... I saw them on sale today, but didn't have the money for it. Very good price, actually... Though I'll be working pretty constantly between now and Christmas when the sale presumably ends... *sigh*

I might give mum some cash and tell her to buy it for me when she finishes up at work in a few days.

And I decided on the last item of my Christmas present from mum. Sort of.

Either How I Met Your Mother season 6, or Futurama season 6.

*contented sigh*

I can't tell you how much I like talking about shopping! I'm an addict, I know. I recently read a memoir of a shopping addict, and it mentioned that one form of addiction is the bargain shopper. That's me to a T.

(Okay SK, do what you will with this thread now. I've had my cathartic moment. :))

stormie
12-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Oh,good. I made it onto a thread before it got locked. But when I tell you my latest purchase, this thread will die of boredom. Okay, here it is: Gauze. Hospital grade, 4x4 inch gauze. http://bestsmileys.com/bored/1.gif

A little more exciting--I bought tiny battery-operated street lights for our village we have out for Christmas. Actually the center of the village is a Lego 1930s firehouse my older son built.

Silver King
12-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Does this mean the thread will die? Because even though it was created by a spammer, I like having somewhere to talk about shopping and purchases... Maybe others feel the same way?
I feel the same way also. And there's no point in allowing a spammer, or anyone else, to ruin a perfectly good discussion.

So shop away, Cliff, and talk your heart out. :)

rhymegirl
12-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Oh no! I hadn't noticed that.

I recently bought a 13-pound turkey! It is frozen and it was mighty heavy to carry.

Silver King
12-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Oh no! I hadn't noticed that.
I didn't notice it at first, either. She was a sneaky little devil and chose to embed her posts with spamorama that's not easily detected and appears invisible. But it was only a matter of time until she was found out and made to pay for her illicit use of AW.

Cliff Face
12-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Tonight I got the last of my Christmas present from mum: How I Met Your Mother season 6.

I decided against Futurama season 6 on the grounds that I don't have a slot for it in my DVD storage unit right now (though I do for How) and it's only got 13 episodes, as opposed to probably 24 for How, and they were the same price.

Apart from that, I've bought bugger all...

Although mum did buy a steamer jug and 100% Arabica beans (French Breakfast) for the coffee machine the grandparents bought her for Christmas.

I've been elected as the person to make all the coffees on Christmas day, so I guess I'll be the first to use those ones. :)

Cliff Face
12-25-2011, 07:44 AM
It's now Christmas day and I wound up getting Futurama season 6 alongside the other things I knew I was getting. Awesome!

I'm going to need to buy a new DVD storage unit, methinks. :tongue

I've been good with my own shopping and not bought anything apart from food, drink and bus tickets and cigarettes for the past 4 days...

But I think sometime soon I'm going to have to buy the storage unit, alongside that House box set I've been eyeing off, whether it drops in price or not.

BenPanced
12-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Oh, boy. A text version of one of the more reviled and useless subcategories on YouTube...

Cliff Face
12-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Huh?

jerriecan
12-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Just bought myself an Acer Iconia tablet, mainly for use as an e-reader.

Mr Flibble
12-27-2011, 01:12 AM
The PS3 went down very well

In other news, I kick fucking arse as a gladiator on game on said console, but my arm is killing me...

Williebee
12-27-2011, 01:31 AM
The PS3 went down very well

You weren't supposed to eat it!

Sure, we can stomach pump you, but that ick's never coming out of the button grooves.

Cliff Face
12-27-2011, 04:22 AM
LOL. :)

I'm going shopping later today. Watch this space. ;)

Irene Rose
12-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Hello new laptop!!!!

jjdebenedictis
12-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Know what I didn't buy? I didn't buy those jeans I need, despite the possibility of Boxing Day savings and the opportunity for a brisk walk to work off some holiday pounds.

Instead, I slothed in my jammies in front of the computer, eating cheese omelettes and chocolate.

Can I claim to be an anti-corporate, anti-consumerist, pro-Earth counter-culture warrior? 'Cause really, I was just lazy.

shakeysix
12-27-2011, 06:25 AM
a sled and new mittens for the g-kid. i ended up having as much fun as she did, pulling her around the yard. today i need the new heat pad that i bought last week. --s6

Cliff Face
12-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Ahhhhhh, the shopping addict returns after his first big shopping fix in about 2 weeks!

I spent way too much money, but I'm very happy, and I found I could justify all those purchases.

1. House seasons 1-6. I was already saving a sizable amount by buying it on sale and in a box set, compared to buying the 6 seasons individually on sale. Then I got a further 20% off the already-discounted price, because of the after-Christmas sales. :D Basically, I saved enough money that I could've bought season 7 full price and still been slightly ahead. (7 just came out, and was nearly double the price of the other seasons.) Very happy with that.

2. I didn't spend any money on this one. Basically, yesterday I tried using my Wii, and the remote wouldn't work. It's still under warranty, so I took it into the store I got it from, and got a brand-new one for free. Granted, I forgot to take the batteries out of the old one that they kept, so I'm down a couple of dollars... But whatever.

3. A 3.5mm iPod to Stereo RCA cable, 1.5m long, to go with the iPod Shuffle I got for Christmas.

4. Lunch. Yum!

5. A 39-slot DVD storage unit, black, 13 down by 3 across, saving $5 off the already-cheap price for some reason (I don't know why...). It is now the 6th one of these I have... But because I received 2 DVDs for Christmas, bought House 1-6 today, and bought 30 Rock 1-5 last week, I needed it.

*contented sigh*

That oughta hold me for a few weeks.

Cliff Face
12-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh, and I'm holding off on House season 7 for the time being. I figure by the time I've rewatched the first 5 seasons (sis had them, but she's moved out) and then watched season 6 for the first time... By that point season 7 should be reduced in price. :)

bettielee
12-27-2011, 05:48 PM
wow. Just wow.

I found MI-5 season 9 for $21. That shiznet is usually $40 so I hopped on it. I luv me sum Richard Armitage. And it's one of my most favoritest ever shows.

Cliff Face
12-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Bought 5 double-sided DVD cases for storage purposes today. I only needed 4, but they came in a pack of 5...

Aha, now I can store my 8 discs of Daria in something that is actually usable!

Seriously, the box set of Daria I got is so messed up with how the discs go in and out.

You shouldn't have to remove discs 1 and 2 just to get #3 out!

Jehhillenberg
12-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Seriously, the box set of Daria I got is so messed up with how the discs go in and out.

You shouldn't have to remove discs 1 and 2 just to get #3 out!

Hmm, odd. My complete DVD set of DARIA came intact.
```````````````````````````````````````````

Bought two games for the PS3, L.A. Noir and Saw 2.

shakeysix
12-28-2011, 04:30 PM
delicious lunch for two at Doc Green's; 5 hallmark ornaments half price for next year; 4 small colored bottles from kirkland's to use as single flower vases for cosmos and zinnias this summer. also half price--s6

Cliff Face
12-29-2011, 02:43 AM
Hmm, odd. My complete DVD set of DARIA came intact.

Oh, mine's intact, sure. But the way it's set up is that Disc 1 goes half over the top of Disc 2 which is half over the top of Disc 3.

So to get Disc 3 out, I have to remove 1 and 2 first. And to remove each disc is really awkward - it's not the normal "there's a circle you stick the middle of it on" thing.

But still - it was intact...

Jehhillenberg
12-29-2011, 02:55 AM
Oooh. By intact, yeah I meant easily accessible. My discs are back-to-back and flip over. But I think I understand how your set-up is. Sounds frustrating, well, I know it is.

Cliff Face
12-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Yup, it's crap. Hence buying the cases.

Jehhillenberg
12-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Ah.

latest purchase as of today:
http://ninsox.com/files/2008/07/dual-shock-3-sixaxis-silver.jpg

A.R. Starr
12-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Latest purchases for me... Well, I went into my local Smiggles store today and I'm surprised I came out with money in my pocket! *laugh* I'm addicted to the goods from that place.

Today I brought;
2 purple waterproof, untearable notebooks
1 little safe pretending to be a book.
1 pair of bright blue 'retro' headphones
1 green waterproof notebook for my father
2 black with an owl on the front notebooks for a friend with 2 matching pens
1 pencil case to match the black notebooks
Purple, pink and green pens for my mother (one of each)
1 pen designed to look like a pencil (it was cute)
1 purple four-colour pen.

I really need to ban myself from that store, but it's so much fun.

JSDR
12-29-2011, 11:26 AM
2 Coach purses...

And a Costco box of baby butt-wipes...

Cliff Face
12-29-2011, 01:59 PM
2 pairs of shoes, 1 for work, 1 just for me, and 2 emery boards for my nails.

I was meaning to buy ear-cleaners (cotton buds are they called?) but forgot... Ah, tomorrow I suppose.

JSDR
12-30-2011, 06:21 AM
Bought 2 shirts from the GAP today. At a whopping $3.00 each... I think the drive to the mall cost more in gas than the shirts cost together...

2 Cinnabon rolls.

kayleamay
12-30-2011, 06:28 AM
a tube of caulk and a pack of ballpoint pens

Why are all of my purchases so dull? I'm going to have to go to the adult store just so I have something interesting to post.

Makeshift Bubbles
12-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Three pairs of colourful tights. Footed tights, even.
Also some funky glasses that I'll see if I can get filled with my prescription, one of these days.

Cliff Face
12-30-2011, 09:22 AM
a tube of caulk and a pack of ballpoint pens

Why are all of my purchases so dull?

I bought ear-cleaner cotton bud things today.

I'm going to have to go to the adult store just so I have something interesting to post.

You'll never guess what I'm going to do with my ear cleaners. ;) :tongue

Actually, I've been meaning to go into the adult store in the city. They had some really nice goth/metal stomper boots, but I couldn't afford them last year. I think technically they call them fetish boots, but I think of them as stylish. ;)

Silver King
12-31-2011, 05:00 AM
...Actually, I've been meaning to go into the adult store in the city.
Be sure to let us know about some of the items you saw there for sale, which will help to perk up this thread!

Cella
12-31-2011, 05:14 AM
ha ha...my friend and I snuck into the adult section of a Johnnie Brocks when I was way underage.

:eek:

It was in there I discovered that I had been picturing condoms all wrong...

Silver King
12-31-2011, 05:44 AM
...It was in there I discovered that I had been picturing condoms all wrong...
My sister told me once, in the strictest confidence (which is why I'm blabbing about it now), how her future husband fully unrolled his condom prior to putting it on the first time they were intimate. Turned out it didn't fit quite right using that approach.

Cella
12-31-2011, 07:27 AM
:roll:
`

Cliff Face
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Ahahahaha, that's hilarious!

Okay, so maybe I did that the first time too... Shut up! I know you're laughing at me!

I won't even mention what very wrong mental image I came away with after sex ed in Primary School... :tongue

But yeah, SK, I'll mention some sexy products when I next go into the adult store. Unless you just want an excuse to ban me... Hmm. Maybe this is a trap? ;)

bettielee
12-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Heaven help me. Betwen Goodreads and Amazon... I can never die. I'll die with books unread.

My only intention is to find FREE books but inevitably, you stumble across books you must have. I only spent $2 tonight, but still.... shutting DOWN goodreads and Amazon. Lordie.

The books I got were : This book does no exist and uh... oh crap, I forgot the other one.

Cliff Face
12-31-2011, 02:15 PM
OMG why is the Universe tormenting me so?

I just saw an ad on TV for a 4-day book sale in the city. $1 books, in print, in a country where they normally cost at least $20 per book!

I so don't have the room for more books, but damn it, I think I'm going to have to go to this sale!

Ugh... Why do I love a bargain so much?

shakeysix
12-31-2011, 06:06 PM
a plastic storage container for gift wrap. now my cats can't slip into the back of the closet and shred my rolls of giftwrap! --i'm toying with the idea of buying a special plastic tub for my christmas tree, too. of course the box it came in is still new---maybe a christmas tree tub would be a frivolous purchase. gonna think on this for another day--s6

Anjasa
12-31-2011, 06:57 PM
I got black socks. And nailpolish.

I <3 my nails.

Cliff Face
01-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Black nail polish is awesome.

One time, in my pseudo-gothic phase, I did some black nails with red mystical symbols on them. They were totally awesome.

Cliff Face
01-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Went to that book sale today. First off, it was NOT "Every book $1" like the TV ad promised! Some books were that cheap, but then it was "10 for $30" or "$5 each". Boo! Hiss!

Okay, that's still a great deal.

So I came home with 5 shiny new books. :)

1. The Best Of The Realms book II by Ed Greenwood. A compilation of stories set in the Dungeons And Dragons Forgotten Realms (D&D).

2. Tantras (The Avatar Series book II) by Scott Ciencin (or Tientin, the Cs look sort of like Ts...). Another D&D book.

3. Annihilation (War Of The Spider Queen book II) by R. A. Salvatore. Another D&D one, this time by an author I adore.

4. The Stuff Of Nightmares by Malorie Blackman. Horror.

5. Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris. Horror. I've seen the movie, but can't remember what happens.

Interestingly enough, all the D&D books are book IIs in series, and I don't have the first ones in those series... The book sale was kind of a "you get what you get" sort of affair. But hey - $3 for book II in each of those series? Hell yes! I'll just buy the others in the series full price in the good book store in the city at some point.

*contented sigh*

My first shopping trip of 2012. It felt good.

Anjasa
01-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Annihilation isn't actually by Salvatore - he came up with the story for the War of the Spider Queen, but each book of the 6 in the series was done by an individual author. I think Annihilation is actually book 5, so you'll probably want to wait for the rest before you start in on that one.

That one was actually the hardest read in the series for me. I almost gave up. I found Condemnation really difficult as well, actually. I just found in both of them that things were really drawn out.

Extinction by Lisa Smeadman was my favourite in the series, and I really liked The Lady Penitent series by her.

Elaine Cunningham is also an excellent author about drow stuff, and I'm currently reading through the Starlight and Shadows series by her!

I <3 Forgotten Realms books. I love the drow specifically. Empyrean Odyssey wasn't as well written, I don't think, but it really pulled me into the characters. I'm not usually a fan of angel stories, but I really do like Alissza and Kaanyr.

And I think the Best of the Realms books can be read on their own. They usually tie into other stories, though. I think Best of the Realms I is pretty rare actually. It's impossible to find Starlight and Shadows in stores here and online it's going for $100 last I checked. Luckily my library had copies!

I caved to my friend's peer pressure and bought Star Wars: The Old Republic last night.

Cliff Face
01-03-2012, 04:21 AM
I'm not much of a Star Wars fan. I mean, I liked the movies well enough, but I'm not all "OMG!" about it.

*prepares to be lynched*

As for Forgotten Realms - YES that world is awesome. I can't claim to have read as many of them as you obviously have, but I've read most of the "Legend Of Drizzt" series and all of "The Cleric Quintet".

Anjasa
01-03-2012, 05:06 AM
I'm not a huge Star Wars fan either, honestly, though I do think the characters are cute! I'm not a huge fan of the lore, but I can't really argue with friends :) After quitting WoW back in May, I've been hankering to play with friends again.

Cliff Face
01-03-2012, 07:18 AM
I almost purchased the complete series of Seinfeld today. It would've been a massive saving over buying the seasons individually, but I'm not actually that big a fan of Seinfeld, and wanted to keep my money. Especially as I have plenty of new DVDs to keep me occupied for the time being.

If I'd had nothing to watch, however, I probably would've bought it.

*shrug* I'm sure it'll be a similar price when I eventually do decide to buy it. And for now I may as well just keep my cash.

Cliff Face
01-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Argh, why do I go looking at DVDs when I have plenty to watch already?

Had to convince myself not to buy a couple things today. Save money... Yeah.

So I forewent the following:

A "Species" box set with all 4 movies for $16. For comparison, the first one on its own was $12.

Silence Of The Lambs for $7.

Ugh. My inner bargain hunter is cringing at not having bought them.

Cliff Face
01-11-2012, 07:35 AM
My first proper shopping excursion in over a week today.

I came home with a nice new belt, because my old one is on the verge of breaking and I don't really intend to have my pants fall down at work when it does eventually snap.

Also, "From The Cradle To Enslave EP" by Cradle Of Filth and "Once" by Nightwish, both for quite cheap.

That's the first Nightwish album I've ever bought, and I'm listening to it now. Sounds good. :) And I can now say I have all the Cradle Of Filth CDs AND DVDs that are readily available. There were a couple releases from when the band was really new, and those ones you can't get in stores - limited press runs sort of thing. I suppose I might find them on eBay, but they'd be pretty expensive.

*heavy sigh*

I want to go shopping again already. Can't justify it though...

iRock
01-12-2012, 01:59 AM
A Justin Bieber Trapper Keeper.

Jehhillenberg
01-12-2012, 08:01 AM
A cooling pad for my laptop

some DVDs

A Glee calendar :D

text books for school

*gonna go splurge in the campus bookstore soon

Cliff Face
01-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Ooh, a cooling pad. That might interest me...

Please tell me it's not something you prop the laptop up on to allow more air under it? I don't want one of those... But if it's an actual pad thing that cools the laptop, I'd definitely look into it.

I almost bought a CD/DVD combo today, but decided against it. I wanted a live music DVD, but this DVD was just a documentary about the band on tour - not an actual concert. And for the price, I couldn't justify it.

Jehhillenberg
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Well.....it does prop the laptop up to allow ventilation, BUT never fear, it does have two little fans that make minimum noise. Sometimes, when I'm, not working this laptop to death, I don't even have to plug in the pad to fan/cool it down.

Oh yeah, it comes with a usb cord to plug into the port that automatically starts the fan and when the laptop is powered down so do the fans.

Here's mine:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee488/jehhillenberg/th_Snapshot_20120112_12.jpg (http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee488/jehhillenberg/?action=view&current=Snapshot_20120112_12.jpg)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee488/jehhillenberg/th_Snapshot_20120112_10.jpg (http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee488/jehhillenberg/?action=view&current=Snapshot_20120112_10.jpg)

Cliff Face
01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Actually, I've seen something similar in the store I work in. Except ours looks heaps cheap and dodgy. :tongue

Okay, another purchase today!

Nightwish - Imaginaerum (CD).

I haven't even listened to it yet, because I keep getting sidetracked. And now I'm about to go out to dinner... Eh, I'll get around to this CD sooner or later.

But I really liked the first Nightwish CD I bought, so when I saw this one (I think it's a new release) for a good price, I just had to buy it.

JSDR
01-15-2012, 05:36 AM
A rhinestone studded pink bra from Victoria's Secret....

Jehhillenberg
01-15-2012, 05:45 AM
^Ooooooh. Time for a trip to that store! :2angel:

Cliff Face
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
A rhinestone studded pink bra from Victoria's Secret....

Wow, it's a good thing I didn't buy the same thing today, or this might've been awkward. I mean, nobody wants to be wearing the same thing as someone else in the room, right? :)

Today I intended to buy new tops. I bought nothing. Because the tops I saw were shit.

Then I happened to see an awesome package deal in the furniture store. In a store where you could spend $800 on a table and 6 chairs, I found for $1000 the following:

Table and 6 chairs
Coffee table
Lamp table
TV unit/table thing

They were all black glass (except the chairs, which were in black leather - super comfortable and pretty stylish for the kitchen table) with this strip of slightly-lighter design pattern through the middles (along the long part).

It looked so good, and I hope it's still available when I eventually get my own place. (Fat chance - it'll be years before I have my own place, chances are, and furniture designs are changing all the time. *sigh*)

But no, I didn't buy it.

JSDR
01-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Iphone 4S

My first smartphone. Didn't intend on getting one when I walked into the store, but apparently, my phone of preference ("I want one just like a smartphone, but doesn't go on the interwebs.") Doesn't exist. Or, it did, but they've been phased out. My choices were to downgrade from my trusty samsung something to a "messaging" phone (ie, classic flip phone or tiny screened ugly things) or upgrade to a smart phone.

After much haggling, my brother and I managed to score a decent deal on data plans, as well as a discount on accessories.

Yay for new phone!

Then I got home, excitedly hooked it up to my itunes, and sunced it... erasing all the contacts that the dude at the store had transferred from my old phone....

Cliff Face
01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Ack! Contact list death sucks.

I mean, who are you going to prank call now?

Today I spent way too much money on a single T-shirt. It's a Nightwish one, a band I've recently gotten into. I'm trying for a new look. Most of my existing Ts are related to alcohol in some way or another (generally "funny" Ts) and seeing as I don't drink anymore, it seems kind of pointless to keep wearing them.

But $30 for a single T-shirt? I'm going to need a lot of money to build up a new wardrobe... Maybe I'll give the band Ts a miss next time, and just settle on something else (if I can find anything I like).

Oh, and I bought Shakespeare by Bill Bryson in hardcover for $5. It was that cheap because the cover has a small nick on it, a bit of the cover sort of peeling over. But the problem didn't look like it would expand, so $5 was well worth it. :)

This was from the roving book sale that occasionally visits my local mall. For the past 3 months we had a different mob in there selling cheap books. But those people just had a small selection, but with 10+ copies of each book, which doesn't help if you don't like the small selection. The people today are my preferred book sellers now that we don't have an actual book store in the mall. They have good selections, and it's different every time they come here.

Cliff Face
01-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Oh, and for $200 I could buy a really nice hair straightener (which I'm going to need in a month or two) or $99 for a cheaper imitation model. I know this because I went into a store devoted to hair products, which I had never been in before because I'm pretty sure I don't actually belong in there.

Have I perhaps stumbled through the door into the world of the popular and beautiful?!? That's what it felt like. I got a warm welcome, too. Win!

And the guitar I really want is on sale for $559. *sigh* I can't afford it right now, and my job contract ends January 31st, so I can't even safely put it on lay-by. Like, if I spent $200 on it now, and then paid the rest off over a few months, would I still be able to make payments when the job ends? Probably not.

*sigh*

Stlight
01-17-2012, 04:28 AM
Cliff, if you don't have duct tape and you should, get some. It works on bookcovers too.

Last shopping large L braces for shelves, small L braces for shelves, duct tape.

Cliff Face
01-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I'd rather have a small tear on my cover than a big ol' hunk of duct tape. :tongue Like I said, I don't think the tear will spread. However, the torn bit is missing, so it's not something I can just stick back on, which, come to think of it, could've been what you meant. :tongue

I bought nothing today. Well, food and drink. But nothing interesting.

A Girl In A Dress
02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Most successful TJ Maxx trip to date: 2 dresses, 1 t-shirt, a Vera Bradley travel case, and The Hunger Games (in paperback).

love me some discounts!!

quickWit
02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
pasties
sequin thong
stripper heels

shyne
02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Dead thexy

Jehhillenberg
02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee488/jehhillenberg/DIP_BAK72606_Pretzels3pck_FDY_10_SQ.jpg

Hand-dipped Caramel pretzel rods

Cella
02-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Uggs moccosins!

Or is it just Ugg moccosins?

I mean, there are 2 of course...

Cliff Face
02-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Wow, I just realised I haven't made any expensive purchases in a few weeks! 2 or 3 weeks...

I spent about $50 in 6 days, because I went on holiday to dad's place - grandparents paid for my ticket up there, dad paid for my ticket back, and dad and stepmum paid for all my meals and stuff while I was up there. That's officially the least I've spent in a single week since, oh I don't know, I first had my own money and not just pocket money? :tongue

Before that, I bought 3 notebooks for Uni, a new pen (in case my preferred one dies mid-class) and a diary.

Sounds boring, but I'm really looking forward to using them all. :)

shyne
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Black t-shirt with a dark forest on it

Cliff Face
02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Within Temptation - The Unforgiving (CD/DVD combo).

Listened to the CD just before. It's hauntingly beautiful. I definitely want to buy more of this band's music. :)

Lavern08
02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Checked out the *new* lower prices @ JC Penney on Saturday...

...Found 3 killer tops (for the spring and summer).

$16 a piece = Three gorgeous tops for $50 (including tax)!!!

Ohhh yeah - those "screaming" commercials worked for me. ;)

randi.lee
02-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Ink for my printer, and I'm tired of the price. I could buy a new printer complete with ink and e-bay the old one for less than it costs to refill my ink cartridges!

Cliff Face
02-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Yeah, I've heard of people who will just buy a new printer whenever their ink runs out, because they get ink included and it's a similar price...

I think the real trick they use is this:

If the printer is cheap, the ink is expensive. If the printer is expensive, the ink is cheap.

I'd go with the second option, myself.

DragonHeart
02-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Bought Sherlock season 1 on Blu-ray and a new piece of jewelry from Express. Haven't received the latter yet so I can't say if I like it/if it fits or not yet.

shyne
02-14-2012, 03:04 AM
Yeah, I've heard of people who will just buy a new printer whenever their ink runs out, because they get ink included and it's a similar price...

I think the real trick they use is this:

If the printer is cheap, the ink is expensive. If the printer is expensive, the ink is cheap.

I'd go with the second option, myself.

I purchased the free ink for life package via woot.com. Cost me $20 and it's kind of messy the first time you fill the cartridges, but all is well once you get the hang of it.

Cliff Face
02-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Today I bought sis's birthday present.

A DVD of 4 features about Australians in WW1 and WW2. She's heavily into war history, mostly WW2. Hopefully she doesn't have this one already.

Cliff Face
02-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Another DVD purchase - this time for me.

"Bored To Death" season 1. Never seen any of this show, but the MC's supposed to be a writer who becomes a PI, which sounded interesting. Plus, it's got Ted Danson, who I find funny.

About to pop in disc 1. :)

Cliff Face
02-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Ugh. I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything new. I did. I promised.

So yesterday I bought Dylan Moran's new stand-up DVD, "Yeah, Yeah."

*sigh*

I'm trying to work through the backlog of books and DVDs I have, so I really don't need to be buying new things. And with no job right now, my savings really need to go to Uni books and stuff.

Jehhillenberg
02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
"Dead Island" video game

stormie
02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Red all-cashmere gloves on clearance at Neiman Marcus for only $18 (one day sale on Monday and found a coupon online for free shipping) :)

I love cashmere, but especially when it's good quality at a cheap price.

scarecrow
02-23-2012, 08:16 AM
My kids summer wardrobe. The consignment sale season has started.

Cliff Face
02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
I bought nothing today, except for $10 worth of groceries. That $10 should last me 3 or 4 days, which is pretty good, actually. Usually I spend $10 every 2 days for food, or thereabouts. But I found some items on sale the other day, and went back today with a big shopping bag to load up.

I'm mentioning this, because it's the closest to shopping I'm going to get in the next few days... Stupid job ending. I have money, but I need it for Uni books and safety money.

*sigh*

I already miss shopping. 2 days without going to the mall. :( It's hard.

DragonHeart
05-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Just ordered a new car charger for my Garmin nuvi. I let my brother borrow my original one and surprise, surprise, I never got it back. And now I need it. Easier to just buy a replacement than try to get it back from him, seeing as he probably lost it anyway.

I'm also taking advantage of some Blu-ray sale going on at Amazon to pick up a few movies I've been meaning to buy for my library and simply haven't. Got Batman Begins, Iron Man 2 and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete.

peydob
05-03-2012, 03:38 AM
I've purchased an album on iTunes

Jehhillenberg
05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/R8INBOWBRITE/tales.jpg

Season 1 DVDs

Cliff Face
05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Surround-sound PC speakers with sub woofer, 4 days ago.

The new book by Melissa Marr, 3 days ago. (I forget the title - it's an anthology of shorts, all by Marr.)

Acoustic guitar with learner's book and DVD, yesterday.

Hmm... I've done a fair bit of spending this week! Fortunately, I have money, and am expecting more for my birthday.

Still don't have the guitar pack, as it was bought online. For the ludicrously low price of $40 including shipping. Hell, the book and DVD together would probably be more than that in a music store... Gotta love bargains!

And expecting Absolute Visions and a couple of CDs (not sure which ones yet) for my birthday. Ahhh, accumulation!

stormie
05-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Found a new battery for my cell phone for under $5 on Amazon. And free shipping.

shyne
05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Irig mic for my iphone

Lavern08
05-03-2012, 05:38 PM
A pair of gorgeous Carlos Santana sandals (from Shoes.com).

Have you guys seen his shoes? They're incredible! ;)

stormie
05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
A pair of gorgeous Carlos Santana sandals (from Shoes.com).

Have you guys seen his shoes? They're incredible! ;)
Aw, come on.... Link please! (Dang!)

Lavern08
05-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Aw, come on.... Link please! (Dang!)

Here they are:

http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/12667-5168120/CARLOS+BY+CARLOS+SANTANA/Blue_Clear/Women's+Turin.aspx

:Sun:

Delio
05-04-2012, 04:25 PM
I actually picked up the Smash soundtrack deluxe edition! Loving it so much ^_^

three_act_climax
05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
1st UK edition of Lolita. Not terribly rare, but was mispriced ;-)

And coffee. LOTS of it.

peydob
05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I got a scala zoot hat on eBay

Cliff Face
05-05-2012, 11:47 AM
American Pie 1-7 in a box set for an awesome price. :)

I love a bargain, especially when it's a box set! Now, if only that Dark Tranquillity 2CD+2DVD box set were on sale... :)

Cliff Face
05-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Found a 2-DVD set on sale. Dream Theater - Live At Budokan, with a documentary footage thing and some other features.

I had to have it, as this band comes recommended to me, and it was a real steal.

I know I should be saving my money, but it was so cheap that I could afford it without dipping into my savings, just using my fortnightly money.

DragonHeart
05-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Ugh, weddings are expensive even if it's not yours. I just spent about $70 on materials for a dress because I couldn't find anything close to what I had in mind. At least my mom won't charge me for making it. Yes, I'll still give her something for doing it. I also just bought a pair of dress sandals to go with it. And now I need to find earrings as well. Blah.

stormie
05-16-2012, 11:47 PM
And now I need to find earrings as well. Blah.

Try etsy.com Unique jewelry and most not expensive.

kayleamay
05-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Orbit Bubblemint. BigEPack. No expense spared.

Cliff Face
05-17-2012, 03:21 AM
2 really old books (circa roughly the 30s or so) for $2 each at the Uni's used-book sale.

The Rhetoric Of Fiction, and one on Drama Methods.

Billtrumpet25
05-17-2012, 04:43 AM
Shogun 2 Total War on Steam

LadyA
05-17-2012, 02:29 PM
A chocolate biscuit at my school cafeteria

MrYikes
05-17-2012, 06:34 PM
19v battery operated drill.

LadyA
05-18-2012, 02:22 PM
A new pair of earphones for my ancient iPod.

cray
05-18-2012, 03:25 PM
19v battery operated drill.

that's hawt.

LadyA
05-19-2012, 11:25 PM
13 Little Blue Envelopes

peydob
05-21-2012, 06:32 PM
PlayStation 3 - Max Payne 3 (in addition to Xbox) :censored

Cliff Face
05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Within Temptation - The Silent Force.

I already have 1 CD by this band, and it's awesome stuff. Very effective music - some of the songs are really intense. Anyway, so I bought this CD today.

I wanted some other CDs (which I've mentioned elsewhere) but they had to be ordered online (Australian stores don't stock them) and the site we used sort of didn't come through.

That was supposed to be for my birthday at the start of the month, so mum's just going to give me cash instead, now that the first CD has been cancelled, and the second might be heading the same way.

I've been wanting new music in my collection for a month now, but held off, waiting for those 2 CDs.

Such a pain in the butt. But hey, I have new music now. :)

retromovie
06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
More bullets.

stormie
06-01-2012, 05:07 PM
2 tee shirts on clearance.

I'm a big spender.

Ergodic Mage
06-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Dryer motor which I thought would be $50 - it wasn't.

retromovie
06-02-2012, 11:09 PM
An alibi.

DragonHeart
09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Cat food.

Maryn
09-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Panoramic dental x-rays. Woo-hoo, huh?

Maryn, who's got them thinking she flosses every single day