• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Mentor wanted for first time fantasy novel writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I've finished my first Fantasy novel and I'm looking to get it published. Whilst I know I can write, I have absolutely no idea about how on earth I get my work in front of the right people. I've had two co-written pantomime plays published in the past, but most of the publishing work was done by my co-writer; it was easier to get one person to handle that side of things.

So, if there is anyone who is willing to help me out in some way, I'd be very grateful. Even odd snippets of advice are welcome (as long as they aren't "give up, you're useless.")

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
My advice is completely useless, but it is this:

Anyone with an Iron Maiden Eddie picture as their avatar can do whate'er they wish.

Er. Yeah. That's all the advice I've got. :)

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
That's good to hear, thank you!

I shall go home and attempt to raise an army of undead slaves, with which to conquer the planet.

I'll also try to make a decent cup of coffee. I've never managed it before.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Long as it makes your heart beat faster, you've made a fine cup of coffee. :)

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
are there any mentors "out there" who are available?

Hello,

Just wandering around the site and found this thread. I'm kinda knew here and have been enjoying it so much.

I have a few postings in the Poetry threads and have one short non-fiction piece of an actual daytime encounter with a UFO. The UFO story is not posted at this time. Poetry is really my venue.

If you would like to get into a mentoring relationship, I would like to hear from you. I ain't got nobody.

Look forward to hearing from you.

You can check out my "stuff" and see if you are interested.

kdnxdr

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Mentoring tip #1: The phrase "Ain't Got Nobody" is punishable as a war crime, under the articles of war (the ones concerned with double negatives, and cruel and unusual punishment.)

:)

I'm rotten at poetry advice, honestly, and I'm very little help when it comes to the publishing industry (I can answer questions, but you're wandering around with a hoarde of people here who can tell you anything you're dying to know) but when it comes to prose and advice on it, I can be of some assistance. Any questions, if you like, can be PM'd to me, or e-mailed to me, or even just posted generall on the forums, where you'll be inundated with even more valuable advice from really smart people who aren't spending an afternoon being a twit, as I am... :)

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Thank you.

PeeDee,

I wanted to check out your credentials before I responded, so I pulled out my handy-dandy dictionary. You're a legit twit, and I appreciate your correcting me. However, :), in my defense, I have to say that at the moment I used that particular phrase "ain't got nobody", I heard music. Those are really the only words of that particular song I can remember so, I can't really defend myself that well.

Is "blathering" a word? 'Cause, I think I am.

I sincerely do appreciate that you would be willing to help me out. Since, you don't sound interested in the poetry stuff.............I only have one prose piece. It's my non-fiction, true account of a daytime encounter with a UFO. I would like to have someone read it and give me some serious critique. Ultimately, I would like to have it published. Would you be interested in helping out with cleaning it up? I think it's less than 3,000 words.

Thank you, again, for your reply.

kdnxdr

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
:Wha: I...I have credentials!?

I was mostly just being obnoxious when I corrected your double negative, honestly. You write well enought that I suspect you know a double negative when you see one, and I'm all in favor of bad grammar when you're quoting someone or just being goofy. (Plus, it's a forum; It's a grammar-police-demilitarized-zone)

And it wasn't that I'm not interested in your poetry. I am. I very much enjoy reading poetry, and I'd love to read yours. What I was more trying to get at in my own blathering ( :) ) sort of way was that while I can read it, and while I can tell you what I think about it, what I think works, what I think doesn't, I don't authoritatively know enough about poetry for my advice to be worth much of anything. I'm too much of an avid reader to be willing to do anything but happily read your poetry.

So, whether it's poetry, or your non-fiction piece, I'm quite willing. For the parts where I don't have firm "you need to take this sentence, chop it in half,and make it sound like you mean it" sort of advice, I'll just witter on about what I like and dislike....which sometimes amounts to the same thing.

(wittering is a good word to describe what I'm doing now. Sheesh. Shut up, Pete.)

My e-mail should be in my profile, but if it's not, it's: [email protected]

Just don't send me any offers for Russian Mail-Order brides, because I'm rotten with the Post office. :)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Aye, it be through (I sent you an e-mail too). Expect another e-mail shortly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.