Eight Reasons People Write

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
1.) Identity. To be somebody. A "writer." A badge. A certificate of existence. Now: what to write?

2.) Hobby. Using time. Filling up space in one's life. Doing something. Macrame.

3.) Money. Write a best-seller and retire from life.

4.) Therapy. Personal dilemmas laid out on a page. Journals for an unseen shrink.

5.) Message. An announcement. Having something to say and compelled to say it. A discovery.

6.) Change. Writing to change society, or the culture, or the neighborhood. Or the world.

7.) Immortality. Creating the masterpiece that will live forever, honored by all subsequent generations. A place in future history.

8.) God. To understand or commune with the universe.

Obviously, there's overlap. Many individuals write for more than one reason.

What's your reason?

www.blitzreview.blogspot.com
Books needed!

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
#1, #4 and #6...and can't lie...number #3 wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
out of those, #4. But honestly? Just because I've always felt a strong compulsion to put pen to paper. A need. I don't care if I make money (though it's a bonus). I do want people to read my books b/c I love hearing someone say, "I couldn't put it down!" That I make someone that excited to turn the page is incredible!

But even if no one read my writing, even if it was just for me...I've been keeping a journal of some sort since I knew how to write my name. Because I need to write. That's it.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
1.) Identity. To be somebody. A "writer." A badge. A certificate of existence. Now: what to write?

2.) Hobby. Using time. Filling up space in one's life. Doing something. Macrame.

4.) Therapy. Personal dilemmas laid out on a page. Journals for an unseen shrink.

5.) Message. An announcement. Having something to say and compelled to say it. A discovery.

6.) Change. Writing to change society, or the culture, or the neighborhood. Or the world.

7.) Immortality. Creating the masterpiece that will live forever, honored by all subsequent generations. A place in future history.

What's your reason?

I've said this before, and I'll only say it again because it isn't on the list above: I write because the voices in my head won't let me stop.

That's a great list of some sane reasons to write. You might want to start a list of the insane ones. :)

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Probably all of them for me, if we're being honest here.

Though the "why do you write" question always seems ultimately unanswerable to me.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com

What's your reason?

www.blitzreview.blogspot.com
Books needed!

All of the above at one time or another...and possibly also because it's the only thing I'm really good at.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I've said this before, and I'll only say it again because it isn't on the list above: I write because the voices in my head won't let me stop.

That's pretty much why I do it, too. It's because I have tried - TRIED- to do other things with my life. Every time I think I'm out, writing pulls me back in!

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
None of those.

Most of those reasons are highly unrealistic. Money, fame, recognition, immortality? You have a better shot at that stuff by getting a reality TV show.

I write because I can't not write. It's how I'm wired. How I understand and interact with the universe. I'd love to be rich famous immortal etc., but I'd write even if no one else read a word I wrote. It's in the blood.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I am all but #7. Buddy, I already own immortality. I just use different atoms from one moment to the next. #7 I have wrapped up. The other points...they're why I write.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I second Leahzero's reason. Writing, like art, is a non-negotiable activity for me. I have to do it.

As for the OP's reasons, I had to laugh. 'Identity' is one of the dumbest reasons to commit this kind of masochism. If you don't know your identity before you sit down to write, writing won't give you much more of one. 'Fame' is double-edged, and 'Money' is nearly a non-issue for most of us. 'Therapy', 'Change', and 'Message' are nice internal goals, but you'd better be amazing before you inflict them on the world. 'Immortality' and a communion with the universe are not guaranteed outcomes, just messages we put in bottles.

Probably the purest reason listed is 'Hobby' -- playing with an enjoyable activity to see where it leads. And lest someone snarks about hobbies, may I remind them how only higher-functioning animals indulge in play? It's very good for the brain.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Most of those reasons at different times. I'm not sure if there's one up there which would cover "Because I want to entertain others" and yet that's another one for me. I want to write stories that people really enjoy. I don't just mean send a message or try to change them as people, but make them smile, laugh, cry, scream, hide under their beds (Hey, I write horror). The best moments of my life associated with writing? When I shared a poem in the fifth grade that made everybody in the auditorium laugh, when the girls in my class in high school were begging me to finish the rest of a novel I was writing so they could read it, when my cousin stumbled upon a story I was working on and kept asking me where the rest was, every time I hear someone say they like something I've written. I know there's this idea that as writers we're not supposed to care so much what other people think, that we're supposed to be writing for ourselves, and I've done that too, but the feeling I get when I know I wrote something other people enjoyed? That's the best. I wish I did it more often.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I just plain love to create stories and write. It's fun,wonderful,and just a PARTY!

Also,I am quite cray-cray and the voices demand to be let out. I firmly believe that the vast majority of writers are cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

ucf612

Registered
Reaction score
For me at this point in time it is a hobby. A creative outlet and something to do for just me. As a stay at home mom it is nice to have something that is just mine, something I can really think about and research, something I can connect to other people through. Now if i were to make money of it down the road then I wouldn't be too upset about that. :)

LStein

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
God, all of these, honestly. But you forgot #9: Compulsion.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, plain ol' Obsessive-Compulsive Mania. 'What if?' is dangerously close to 'What does *this* button do?'
Ha! So true.

Primary reason: the voices in my head insist on being heard :).

Of the eight listed, #8 is probably the closest: fiction as a means of making sense of the world on a level that non-fiction is unable to accomplish.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out where "narcissism" fits in.

Caveat: I don't think I write out of narcissism, personally.

However, online, I have occasionally tripped across people who apparently are dissatisfied with the level of adoration they inspire, and so they are writing a novel to facilitate the world's adulation of them.

I think that would be covered by a mash-up of #1, #6 and #7.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
None of the above, although I wouldn't refuse a big cheque. I write because the voices tell me to.

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
You forgot one. My personal reason.

Characters come to my mind, fictional people, and they won't stop nagging at me until I tell their stories on the freaking word processor.

Oh, and I do it for my entertainment. I can't write for any of those other reasons unless I get a literary degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.