Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I met him at a con, a few years ago. He was endlessly patient and kind towards the fans clamoring to talk to him about covers and art in general.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Alessandra, I've always had mixed feelings about his art, too -- it was deeply interesting to see the full-sized paintings. They seemed generally rather better-proportioned with better figure-drawing than they seem in the reduced size we see on book covers.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
Alessandra, I've always had mixed feelings about his art, too -- it was deeply interesting to see the full-sized paintings. They seemed generally rather better-proportioned with better figure-drawing than they seem in the reduced size we see on book covers.

As I recall, initially, I remember liking some of his covers. But as time when on, I started to notice the weird proportions of his people and horses, too. Also, the fact that no matter what the setting of the novel, the people on his covers always seemed to be dressed in the same generic D&D wardrobe.

But, as an illustrator, he was nonetheless gifted. His works always caught my eye, certainly a plus for the authors involved.

It's always sad to lose a talented artist.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
As I recall, initially, I remember liking some of his covers. But as time when on, I started to notice the weird proportions of his people and horses, too. Also, the fact that no matter what the setting of the novel, the people on his covers always seemed to be dressed in the same generic D&D wardrobe.

But, as an illustrator, he was nonetheless gifted. His works always caught my eye, certainly a plus for the authors involved.

It's always sad to lose a talented artist.

If any of Sweet's horses looked odd it was because he was painting odd real horses. I have seen very serious horsey people get all squee about Sweet's work because his horses were always right, even if he was painting some really obscure special type of horse only used by French ladies in the 15th century.

He really did horses well.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
If any of Sweet's horses looked odd it was because he was painting odd real horses. I have seen very serious horsey people get all squee about Sweet's work because his horses were always right, even if he was painting some really obscure special type of horse only used by French ladies in the 15th century.

He really did horses well.

Actually... I'm a really horsey person. I've been drawing and painting horses since I could hold a crayon. And had real life equines in my life just as long. I dunno. Maybe it's because the odd ones [of Sweet's] stuck out in my mind, but my impression of Sweet's horses isn't good.

But mileage definitely may vary. :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Actually... I'm a really horsey person. I've been drawing and painting horses since I could hold a crayon. And had real life equines in my life just as long. I dunno. Maybe it's because the odd ones [of Sweet's] stuck out in my mind, but my impression of Sweet's horses isn't good.

But mileage definitely may vary. :)

I defer to your experience. I'm just a dilettante.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
RIP Mr Sweets,

We have lost too many artist and authors in the last five years, but their work will live on...

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
I hated his WoT cover art, and I'm sad that someone else has to do the cover for the 12th book. Rest in peace.