January prompt(s)

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
OK, Harry had an interesting idea of doing a special flash-oriented prompt. And he suggested getting an early start on it, holidays & such being upon us.

I like the idea of infecting, err... cross-pollinating other groups with Western themes (c'mon, who doesn't love a cowboy?). But since we've got a month and a half to go and you know how fast those Flash people write, I thought I'd better offer up several prompts. We wouldn't want those Flashers calling us slack, eh?

So here is an embarrassment of riches for your flash-fictionalizing needs. Target is 1,000 words. If you do all four, let me know & I'll give you more prompts. Crazy ideas I got plenty of.

1. Hunter & hunted
  2. Stampede
  3. Women's work in the West
  4. Showdown
Off to the races!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Dave - Is this your final, 'cause if so, we need to get it stickied so it doesn't slide down the page.

Question though, target is 1000 words per piece or collectively? Four 1K pieces in a month may be a bit much. Puma

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Dave - Is this your final, 'cause if so, we need to get it stickied so it doesn't slide down the page.

Question though, target is 1000 words per piece or collectively? Four 1K pieces in a month may be a bit much. Puma

Yes, this is my final. I'd say up to 1,000 per piece to share with the Flash-fictioneers. That's not really a lot if you consider the flash fortnight challenges. People may be busy in December, but that still leaves January. If you dig in knocking out four 1k pieces in four weeks is no big deal.

Myself, I plan to have a novel fleshed out by 1/31/12, so I don't know how much I'll do. I don't think it's a problem if you do less. But I want enough on the table that people who crave a challenge can sink their teeth in.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. I've got some stuff coming up on my table too, so not making any promises but I'll try to do at least one. Are you going to pm dpaterso and ask him to sticky this for you? Puma

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
I regret missing last month, but in the way of looking forward, I hope to have one up within the week. Just asking but we are permitted to do any of the four topics at any point, right?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
That's the way I understand it, bk. And, BTW good to see you back! Puma

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I love the prompts, thanks! I realize January is almost over, but when the muse grabs you... ;)

For an newbies like me...thinking about women's work in the west, if you are looking for ideas, do a little research on Calamity Jane. I was reading about her the other day and I think she did tried every possible job known to women at that time, and some that weren't!

I thought THIS ARTICLE was interesting.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
So I finally got mine typed out. With a little more tweaking and a little less playing unscramble that word, I should be posting in time. Even with a short one that is only 850 words and only took twenty minutes, every one I tried just wouldn't come out right. *sigh*