Abandoning Ship 1800s

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
Historical fiction. The date is 1848 and the place is mid-Atlantic. My MC has to abandon an English brig due to a fire.

Two boats are lowered, a longboat, and a captain's gig which is located off the transom. He descends into the captain's gig.

My question is this: I know he descends by ladder, but what kind of ladder and does it have a name?

I've done some research but it remains unclear beyond the fact that it's likely some type of rope ladder. Would it be two ropes with wood rungs between? If so, I've seen reference to Jacob's Ladder and Pilot Ladder and wonder if either is the right term and whether they're different or one and the same.

Is it possible that the "ladder" might be a single knotted rope or is that unrealistic? In any case, I'm looking for my MC to fall and suffer rope burn to his hand. Therefore a coarse material. Hemp?

Thanks.

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
On a ship in that time period, almost all ladders are likely to be rope ladders. Probably rope with wooden slat rungs.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If the ship were of any size, then it would have rungs. A small cheap ship might just have a knotted rope, or maybe they didn't have time to rag out the regular ladder. What kin of ship? A small, cargo ship (say a 100 foot brig) might just have one boat, because it woul have ha a complete crew of no more than ten..

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure of the ship's size in terms of length, but it is a 235-ton Brig used to transport cargo between Europe and the Americas. According to the records, it had two boats, a long-boat and a captain's gig.