PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how many pages to include

Stiger05
12-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Several agents I want to query have stated they want the first 10 pages of my manuscript with the query. My entire first chapter is 11 and a little less than a 1/2 pages. Since it's so close to the 10 page request, should I go ahead and attach the full chapter, letting the agents know that's it's a bit over, or cut the chapter off at 10? If I changed my paragraph spacing (some sentences are on lines by themselves because I like the way it flows) I would easily have 10. Is it more important to be at exactly 10 pages or for the story to read the way I think it reads best? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

FictionQuest
12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I would send the first chapter. This is surely just a guideline.

KYcactus
12-09-2011, 01:00 AM
I would think ten pages is a guideline. I wouldn't think it would be a bad thing to include all 11.5 pages, especially, if the content of the first 11.5 pages is pasted into the body of the e-mail. It wouldn't be super obvious.

It's a risk. I would rather risk sending my 11.5 than having them enjoy the ten and think, woah, what a weird place to end the chapter.

Drachen Jager
12-09-2011, 01:02 AM
There are few agents who will grudge 1 page more or less. Those few are probably not worth worrying about, because they'd be no fun to work with anyhow.

Stiger05
12-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Thanks so much guys! I will include the whole chapter. You've put my mind at ease!