PDA

View Full Version : How many books do you read at the same time?

Lunatique
12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
The title probably seems a bit misleading, since we can only read one book at a time. What I meant was, do you concentrate on reading just one book until you finish it, before starting another book, or do you treat books more like TV shows, where you are following multiple shows at once, watching an episode of this, then an episode of that? How many books do you juggle at once usually?

I find that if a book isn't totally engrossing, my attention will wander and I might start another book, and then go back and forth between them. The more engrossing one will get finished first, and then I'll likely make myself finish the less engrossing one before starting any more. I never allow myself to read three books at once--that's just too distracting (though I might peak in a bunch of different books to get a feel for their beginnings, just to satisfy my curiosity).

I try to finish all the books I start, even if I'm not enjoying it that much, just for the sake of gathering experience as a reader. But if the writing is technically atrocious, then it gets dropped like a hot potato.

How about you?

seun
12-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I tend to read two at the same time. Lately, that's been one novel and one non-fiction or a collection of short stories, but as long as the two books are sufficently different, I'm happy to have two on the go at the same time.

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I tend toward reading two, a novel and a non-fic as well. I've found if I read two somewhat similar books I will confuse the details.

Years ago I read the biographies of Orson Welles and the architect Louis Sullivan at the same time. The details of their lives are forever entangled in my mind.

FictionQuest
12-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Generally I only read one at a time but if I do read a second then it will be non-fiction if I am on fiction, and vice versa.

scarletpeaches
12-08-2011, 08:05 PM
One ebook at a time, but with print...usually around four or five.

AutumnWrite
12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
One fiction, one non-fiction, flipping between the two depending upon my mood at the moment.

My husband usually has 6-7 going at the same time, which boggles my mind.

Alpha Echo
12-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I have to finish one before moving on to the next. I've tried reading two at a time, but I just can't do it. If I try, I end up not finishing either one.

EthanJones
12-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Just one.

E.

Bookchew
12-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Books at multiple locations are read at different times. There's the bathroom book, bedside novel, etc.

writerterri
12-08-2011, 10:40 PM
My problem is how many books am I writing at the same time.

I usually read just one but have a few in line behind it I constantly eyeball.

Cliff Face
12-09-2011, 02:59 AM
I try to do 1 at a time - now.

Last year I wound up with about 8 or 9 going at the same time. It didn't work out so well... I've now finished most of them, but there's still 3 or so that are just part-way done.

PorterStarrByrd
12-09-2011, 03:03 AM
always got at least a half dozen going, one of which is a proof read of one of my own.

no two are of the same genre.

KellyAssauer
12-09-2011, 04:54 AM
There was one particularly harsh winter where I went a tad goofy and had 14 books piled up on the coffee table with pages marked... there was one piece of non-fiction, three or four poetry collections and the rest was fiction. I knew right where I was in each of them and had darn little else to do... anymore, three feels challenging.

Alessandra Kelley
12-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Oh lord, I do stack them up. At the moment I'm reading ... uhhmm:

One work of steampunk science fiction
One fantasy which I'm reading aloud to the kids
A 1952 pulp sci fi magazine
A 1952 Good Housekeeping
Three or four clothing histories
A DIY manual of crafts projects
A heap of old Mad Magazine paperbacks
A documentary history of World War II
Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi
Pride and Prejudice

... and quite possibly a few others which I'll remember when I see them in my reading stack.

Only the first is listed on my Goodreads page as "currently-reading."

Wind Ann Wise
01-18-2015, 01:54 AM
Only one at a time, unless I have to read one for school, then it's 2. That's the only exception.

Ken
01-18-2015, 02:02 AM
Just one. But I do read other stuff, too, besides novels. E.g. poems. Essays. Etc.

Scribesage
01-18-2015, 03:31 AM
I try to stick to one, but most of the time I find myself with two on my currently reading list. A non-fiction and fiction, or at least two very different fiction books. Once I had two very similar fiction books I was reading and someone asked what one of the books I was reading was about. I nearly told them the summary for the other book, so I've learned to be a bit more careful. :tongue

Sometimes I end up with four books I'm reading and that's when it really starts to get difficult... I try to do that only when I'm researching and the books are all about the same topic.

WriteMinded
01-18-2015, 08:28 PM

Bryan Methods
01-18-2015, 11:11 PM
One, except when I'm reading a huge old classic, in which case I'll often put it on hold to read something shorter.

Rotes
01-19-2015, 10:49 AM
I will not buy myself a new book until I have finished the previous one.
That's the rule.
I finish them quickly though. :/
I need to start reading cheaper authors. I've been spending 20 bucks a pop on whatever just hit the shelves. Not a good strategy for a college student who can easily put a book away in two days.

Ladyxkaa
01-19-2015, 10:51 AM
I do one at a time, but I get several in the same series because I read fast and will need the next one as soon as possible.

Amy Writes
01-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Usually I'll read one at a time. Sometimes I'll take a break in the middle of a book to read a different one, but it usually means that I wasn't super-engaged in Book #1. I'm less and less willing to waste time on something I'm not loving, so these days I often I don't go back to stuff I've interrupted.

Brightdreamer
01-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Books at multiple locations are read at different times. There's the bathroom book, bedside novel, etc.

That's pretty much me, too. I have my Kindle, my Nook, and a stack of paperbacks and hardcovers. Upper limit of total titles being juggled at once is around four books*. Right now, though, it's just two and a half; one hardcover, one Kindle I'm committed to finishing, and one I'm kinda poking at now and again.

* - Sometimes I can squeeze in a picture book at work, making it five.

Anarchic Q
01-24-2015, 12:31 AM
For years I would read 1-3 books at a time.
I used to have a casual or bed-time book, then a 'travel book' shoved in my backpack for waiting for the bus.

Then a few years ago I got my Kindle as a gift now I'm reading something like 5 books at a time. I've said it before, my Kindle is the best and worst gift anyone has ever given me.

Isobel Lindley
01-24-2015, 05:21 AM
Sometimes I will read a book in one big gulp in a day or evening. But usually I have at least five on the go, a mixture of fiction in different genres and non fiction, and switch between them according to how I feel at a particular moment.

greendragon
01-28-2015, 11:46 PM
I don't have OCD in any truly useful areas (like cleaning) but it does help with reading books and making jewelry. I can only work on one thing at a time or read one book at a time. That doesn't mean I can't bead while doing other things, like watching TV, but I can't put it down without finishing it to pick up a new project. Having seen my mom's huge pile of unfinished projects, I am glad of this. Books are the same - gotta finish one before starting another.

Vito
02-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Usually, it's two: One novel and one work of nonfiction -- a book or article in the fields of history, international relations, or current affairs. But right now I'm laying off the nonfiction while I'm reading Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain. I'm giving it 100% of my attention because it's just so mind-blowingly good.

NeglectedSpace
02-04-2015, 05:47 AM

This made me spray beer all over the floor! Thank you!

I'm usually reading a few at a time: one non-fiction, a fiction in the sci-fi genre, and a detective novel (or something to that equation). It's not so much that I become bored, but if I find myself bored by a particular part, I leave it and go to something else, then go back. Unless I don't have that book with me, then I read whatever I do have :)

Sage
02-04-2015, 06:08 AM
I tend to average 4. I think I've read as many as 7 or 8, and very rarely I only have 1 on my "Currently Reading" list on Goodreads. Sometimes I'm less actively "currently reading" some books than others.

etherme
02-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Two: An audio book (for car listening) and a book on my Kindle!

Myrealana
02-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I used to read 3-4 books at a time, when I read physical books. I kept one in the living room, one at my bedside, and one in my bag, at least. It was a matter of convenience. I didn't want to lay down at night and find that my book was still in the car.

Now that I read almost all my books on Kindle, I tend to read one at a time. I have access to the same books and the same bookmarks on a number of devices, so I don't have to worry about leaving my book behind somewhere.

Marlys
02-04-2015, 10:37 PM
I have a book in the bathroom, usually one in the car, a main book I'm reading that I will carry around with me, and a travel book on my Kindle. And whatever book my son and I are reading together in bits, whenever he's home from college.

So usually between 2-5 going at once, depending on what the status of any of those books is at the time.

biggie321hp
07-30-2015, 01:02 PM
I only read one at a time. I want to be able to consume one meal before moving on to another.

saiko_neko
08-07-2015, 11:14 AM
I don't have OCD in any truly useful areas (like cleaning) but it does help with reading books and making jewelry. I can only work on one thing at a time or read one book at a time. That doesn't mean I can't bead while doing other things, like watching TV, but I can't put it down without finishing it to pick up a new project. Having seen my mom's huge pile of unfinished projects, I am glad of this. Books are the same - gotta finish one before starting another.

Same. Although I have OCD just in the reading part. Not projects in general. I also HAVE to read a whole book if I start it even if I don't like it. Which is not a good thing :S

And I did have to read two books at a time once for college and it was horrible.

oceansoul
08-07-2015, 01:20 PM
For pleasure - just one.

But when you throw into the mix the constant stream of books that fly around on my desk at work while I decide what to pitch at clients, many many many.

Ladyxkaa
08-08-2015, 04:32 PM
I can only read one at a time, if I can read any at all.

ladyfickle
08-09-2015, 12:02 PM
That's not the problem. The real issue is how many books do I write at the same time;)

Maze Runner
08-09-2015, 10:02 PM
When I'm on, two is comfortable--one fiction and one non-fiction. Lately it takes all the energy I have to skim the LA Times.

Bolero
08-10-2015, 12:32 AM
In terms of fiction, usually one at a time. Text books, as many as the project needs, swapping between them. Sometimes with fiction I might not be in the right mood for a book, and I might put a book mark in, swap to a different one (usually a reliable re-read) and then come back to the bookmarked book.

dawinsor
08-10-2015, 12:54 AM
I'm usually reading one novel and listening to a second one in the car. Driving is so boring.

MarlynnOfMany
08-10-2015, 02:03 AM
Just one at a time for me! It's jarring to go back and forth between headspaces, like pausing a song to listen to an entirely different one before going back.

Chris P
08-10-2015, 02:07 AM
I usually cap myself at three: one novel, one nonfic, and one short story anthology. It's usually fewer though.