Russian attitudes toward Georgians 1940s

wyzguy

Coprocephalic, at times.
Registered
Reaction score
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in
WIP has several Soviet characters. I'm aware that both Stalin and Beria were Georgian. I'm also aware that Russians typically looked down on Georgians. What I'm not sure of is exactly why. Is it the accent? I'm under the impression that Georgian men were considered sexually aggressive. Were Georgians considered rude (nyekulturniy)? Is there some other word or phrase that would apply better? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
We really need Fresie or Izhitsa to comment here. The most I can tell you is that Georgia was annexed under Russia during the late 19th century, and again by the Soviet Union in the 1920s, which didn't set the stage for an overly friendly relationship.

Also, according to this, (Stalin: a Biography by Robert Service, pg. 204) Stalin himself was not as popular in Georgia as he later became.

Google Books link

Overmuzed

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how Georgians were viewed in Stalins era, I was born way after that. But when I lived in Soviet Union, I remember that Georgians were looked down to. Mostly because of their funny accent and bad "Russian", imagine that. In addition to that, the Georgians that ventured from Georgia into the Russian lands were "speculators", the ones that brought oranges and other exotic fruit to sell on semi-underground farmers markets.

If your story is set in Stalin's era on Russian territory, Moscow or Siberia, etc. there were very few Georgians amongst russians. So, in Stalin's era, I imagine, these few were more educated, most likely members of the party, and they would have been respected. I guess, people would have to stop and really listen to what the Georgian would say, in order to understand him. I specifically said, "him", because there would be very little chance of Georgian woman being outside of the family in a foreign (non-georgian) territory.

Regarding this, "Stalin himself was not as popular in Georgia as he later became." you have to understand that occupied republics hated Soviets (Russians). Since Stalin was a Soviet, there you go.

Overmuzed

Registered
Reaction score
I missed that part, "rude (nyekulturniy)?"

Yes, that's a good word. Are you writing your WIP in Russian?

Depends on the point of view. If your characters are set in Moscow or Leningrad (St. Petersburg), then the main issue was not the lack of Georgian's education per se, but rather their occupation - "torgashi", peddlers, speculators.

Soviet brainwashing since 1917 killed the very idea of anything businesslike. So an enterpreneur was looked down on, as opposed to being an "intelligentzia" - teachers, doctors, writers, etc.

Granted, not every Georgian was a peddler, but we all know about stereotyping. Actually, as a whole, Georgians are very warm, open people, family oriented and supportive.

wyzguy

Coprocephalic, at times.
Registered
Reaction score
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in
Sorry about ignoring this. Got busy for a bit. Thanks for the comments, Overmuzed and LC. WIP is in English. A major character is Russian colonel working for the GRU, Soviet military intelligence. Historical figure Lavrentiy Beria, head of the NKVD, was Georgian and had been involved in purging military ranks.