Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm wondering if this is becoming an increasingly new thing?

In the last few months, I've gotten several e-mails from agents that I have queried with not a rejection or a request but rather SPAM!

I won't mention names but, is it just me or is it in poor taste to turn around and use your query mail-list to push either your own book, other services you provide *which cost money* home based businesses that you are now apart of on the side... and the like?

One SPAM mail I recieved I hope was a mistake, a case of hacked e-mail because I don't want to know about house listings in your area... which so happens to be thousand upon thousands of miles from me, in a different country.

Curious if I'm the only one that would rather get a rejection, then spam, and wonder if you have time to copy and paste whatever you are pushing, how is it you don't have time to copy and paste a form rejection?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
The housing one was probably just hacked. The others you should report to P&E so they can list them (or check P&E, they may already have them marked).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have certainly had some publishers do this, they just seem to add every email they get to their mailing list.

It really pisses me off.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would not be surprised at the publisher or agent who assembled lists of emails of those who query and sells them, either.

I once got back my SASE from agent Jeff Herman--stuffed to postage-due levels with advertising for his own book. Bastid.

Maryn, holder of grudges

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it's inappropriate and unprofessional. They'd certainly complain if you started spamming them.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I once queried an agent at Larsen-Pomada. Never heard back from the agent, since her policy is no response=no interest. But a few months after that, I got several emails announcing various LP-sponsored workshops and other services. It verged on spam, and stopped coming when I didn't respond.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I once queried an agent at Larsen-Pomada. Never heard back from the agent, since her policy is no response=no interest. But a few months after that, I got several emails announcing various LP-sponsored workshops and other services. It verged on spam, and stopped coming when I didn't respond.
I haven't experienced this from Larsen-Pomada because, about five years ago, I decided not to query them again after my form rejection came back with a brochure.

It's not unethical. It's just tacky.

Last edited:

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
It is pathetic when an agent is trying to use "reject" database as a platform for extracurricular activities.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
One agent I queried sent back my SAE with a rejection and an ad for her 'how-to-get-published' book.

I also subbed an entry for a first-chapter-of-a-novel comp, and ever since I've recieved email spam from the publisher.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Curious if I'm the only one that would rather get a rejection, then spam, and wonder if you have time to copy and paste whatever you are pushing, how is it you don't have time to copy and paste a form rejection?

How about both? It seems like an increasing trend; I've sent short stories to journals that got rejected. In the coming weeks I started receiving promotion materials. Not that I don't want to support small journals, but dude, you just sent me a REJECTION and now you're spamming my inbox (that I use specifically for correspondence with editors, mind you) with your material, your workshops and whatever, and I never even SIGNED UP FOR A MAILING LIST. Talk about insult to injury. How would they like it if on top of all the submissions they got I started sending self-promotion of whatever project it is I'm working on, with huge photos and fliers?

I don't know when a query or submission became automatically signing up for a mailing list? And then you feel paranoid, like if you ask them to take you off the mailing list they'll remember you when you submit again...

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
And then you feel paranoid, like if you ask them to take you off the mailing list they'll remember you when you submit again...

Not sure the part I bolded is an actual problem because, like, yanno, why WOULD you submit again to an agency/publisher who's that ethically challenged? :D

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure the part I bolded is an actual problem because, like, yanno, why WOULD you submit again to an agency/publisher who's that ethically challenged? :D

Well, sadly, it seems there are so many short fic publishers now who do this (the small-time litfic ones are especially guilty of this in my experience) that you'll eventually significantly limit your market if you ignore all these people.

It's like this crowd mentality: "If we all do it, they can't do sh*t."

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, sadly, it seems there are so many short fic publishers now who do this (the small-time litfic ones are especially guilty of this in my experience) that you'll eventually significantly limit your market if you ignore all these people.

I sympathize. The agent I mentioned is a pretty huge UK agent, and I would like to query her again for my new WIP.

I did buy the book eventually [after I cooled the steam], and it was useful. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten a couple of spam emails detailing the agencies' new self-publishing "consulting" services.

Was tempted to send form responses: "I regret to say that your services do not meet my needs at this time. However, don't be discouraged -- other would-be authors are less cynical than I am. Keep trying!"

;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If an agent tells you about other services she has that cost money, you've found a bad agent, and one you shouldn't have queried at all.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If you write to an agent, and the agent puts you on a mailing list without your knowledge or consent, it's name-and-shame time. I'd be surprised if that weren't actually illegal.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
If an agent tells you about other services she has that cost money, you've found a bad agent, and one you shouldn't have queried at all.

I agree that an agent who spams is a bad agent and needs to be avoided.

However, when it comes the last part of your statement--you can research an agent to find nothing negative about them on P&E and Writers Beware, read any threads here on them, and read their website, and still not know they spam people who submit. I would say that reporting agent spammers to P&E and here at AW is important to warn other people.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Even some agents who spam are still good agents. One red flag does not a disaster spell.

I guess bad is subjective then. I was always taught to run the other way if an agent charges you up front to represent you or tries to charge you for any other services. I would think that spam trying to get you to buy their services or an agent's book or their whatnot would fall under the category of trying to get money out of me. For me, this falls under the avoid category.

Now, I don't mind getting things like updates about what is happening at their agency, or other emails about contests, etc. I get these from a few magazines I submitted to and it does not bother me at all.

Last edited:

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I agree it's extremely bad form to try to sell your book to someone whose dream you just made a little harder. It's almost akin to showboating. I don't think I'd necessarily want a relationship where the agent immediately shoved fliers in my face and made me feel inferior and uncomfortable. A rejection is probably a saving grace.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I guess bad is subjective then. I was always taught to run the other way if an agent charges you up front to represent you or tries to charge you for any other services. I would think that spam trying to get you to buy their services or their book or their whatnot would fall under the category of trying to get money out of me. For me, this falls under the avoid category.

The spam is often their general mailing list -- announcements, press releases etc.

Direct solicitations for editing services etc would be more of a problem.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to name at least one name here.

Jeff Herman is a successful agent who has made very lucrative deals for some of his clients.

He also has been reported by several people I know as having sent them a flyer promoting his books along with a rejection (this is back in the days of postal mail queries and rejections).

I don't know if Mr. Herman still does this, or the electronic equivalent. I do know that it put me off ever querying him, despite his demonstrated track record of success for clients.

Does Mr. Herman's using rejections as an opportunity for self-promotion mean he's a bad agent? No, he's obviously able to make good deals for clients. Does it make me feel like he and I wouldn't be a good fit? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.