PDA

View Full Version : wolf or wolf-dog

emmyshimmy
12-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Does anyone have a pet wolf or wolf-dog? I am looking for information on their behavior. I'd rather have first hand information if I can. What are they like when they interact with people? Are they different when faced with a dog or another wolf? I have many more questions. If you have information reply here or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Steve Collins
12-08-2011, 01:58 AM
This is an interesting article on the Akita Wolf:
http://www.ehow.com/about_4567874_akita-wolves.html

veinglory
12-08-2011, 02:35 AM
They vary a lot accroding to exact genetics and how they are raised--from basically like a wolf, to basically like a dog but with that potential to act up always in there somewhere.

MaryMumsy
12-08-2011, 02:40 AM
At one point we had a husky/timber wolf hybrid. She was a wonderful animal. Looked like a full blooded wolf, and scared the pants off any one inclined to come in our yard uninvited. She was great with kids, but did tend to see small animals as prey unless she was supervised. We brought home a very young Great Dane puppy. We introduced them carefully, she sniffed the puppy thoroughly, gave her a complete bath, and acted as if we had gotten *her* a puppy. Made it difficult to discipline the puppy. ;) Very obedient. She had definite wolf tendencies. One time my husband was sure she had gotten out of the yard. I found her in a tunnel (den) she had dug in the back yard. Another time the two other dogs had jumped the 6 foot block wall and gone exploring. She just stayed in the yard.

MM

Captcha
12-08-2011, 02:56 AM
There was a wolf-hybrid that frequented a dog park I used to visit.

There was a small-dog section of the park, fenced off from the rest, but a lot of small-dog owners would bring their dogs over to the regular area so they could socialize with the larger pack of animals there. Never an incident or a problem, except for when the hybrid was around. I luckily wasn't there, but apparently it killed one of the small dogs, apparently deliberately, as if the little dog was prey. (pick up and shake to break neck).

The hybrid still came to the park after that, so maybe the killing wasn't as clear as it was described to me - I would assume that the hybrid would be at risk for being put down, or at the very least banned from the park, but it wasn't. The other dog owners shunned the hybrid owner, though, and the little-dog owners were always careful to use the little-dog area when the hybrid was around.

I own a 95 pound, solid-muscle lab, and I wouldn't let him off the leash when the hybrid was there after I heard about the killing. The hybrid just didn't have that playful doggy way about it. It was very aloof from the other dogs, very serious, and seemed very prey-oriented (spent most of its time smelling the ground or the air, investigating the place).

That's just one specimen, though. I'm really leery of breed-based personality assessments (pit bull bans, etc.) with regular dogs, so I don't want to go too far with my fears of wolf-hybrids. Still, 100% of the hybrids I've had contact with (sample size of one) were not suited for a social environment.

emmyshimmy
12-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Thanks MM that is very helpful. I have limited experience with S1, 2, 3, I have met a 4 and a 5. What generation hybrid did you have?

rugcat
12-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Here's an article you may find of interest:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06200/706840-59.stm

I saw a short documentary about this on Animal Planet.

Wicked
12-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Growing up I had two wolf-dogs.

My first was 1/4 wolf and 3/4 German Shepherd. She was the most courageous, loving, family oriented dog you could imagine. She loved children especially. She would bark at strange adults, but even kids she didn't know could climb all over her.

She would occasionally howl at the moon. It completely freaked my father out. He said it made his spine shiver.

She once dug a den in your yard, just as MM's did. :)

It took a bit of training to get her to understand that chickens and my small pets were not food. I don't recall how many chickens she ate before the point got across.
Ironically, when she was older, we had a pet bantam rooster that would sleep with her on the porch. One day a much larger dog was visiting our house and went after that little rooster. Sam took the dog down before it could hurt the rooster, and she did it without hurting the dog.

Another time she showed her hero side, we were moving cows. I was about twelve years old, and my dad had me walk across the creek to get to a cow and her calf that weren't coming along. It turned out to be our mean cow.

The cow took me, and I started running for the wire fence, hoping I could make it to a tree on the other side. I knew I was too far away to make it, and then I heard Sam coming from the side.
She grabbed that big old cow by the nose, twisted it's neck, and took it down.
I made it to the tree, but by that time Sam was standing between the cow and I. The cow got up, shook her head, then gathered up her calf and crossed the creek. She'd had quite enough of me and the dog.

Sam's passing was a mystery. She was about ten years old. :( One day the dogs followed my mother out to check cows. On the way home they got distracted, and didn't come back. A few days later my mother found our little dog hiding in the creek with a very large bite wound. There was no trace of Sam.
My mother speculated that a cougar went after the little dog, and Sam intervened, for the last time. We never did find her body. :(

Simba was my second. She was 5/8 wolf, and the rest German Shepherd. There was very little "dog" in her personality. She was loving and family oriented like Sam, but when it came to people she was shy.
She would bark when she heard a car coming down our long driveway, look to make sure I heard her, then vanish into the trees like a ghost.
People who didn't come around on a regular basis never even saw her.

We lived very rural, so there were no yards, or chains, or dog kennels.
Sam probably could have been a happy well adjusted dog with any town family with a back yard.
Simba would have been heartsick and miserable in town.

Bushrat
12-08-2011, 05:36 AM
I'd google and talk to some breeders. My neighbour is in the process of getting a wolf-dog, but since he won't have the puppy until spring, I can't help you out there.

MaryMumsy
12-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Ours was 50/50. Mom was the husky, Dad was the wolf. She barked at cars too. But not ours. She could recognize the sound of our car engines.

MM

Orianna2000
12-09-2011, 02:33 AM
A good book to read is Wolf and Iron (http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Iron-Gordon-R-Dickson/dp/0812533348/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323383140&sr=8-1) by Gordon R. Dickson. It's a post-apocalyptic tale of a man who is traveling across the ruins of Montana with a wolf as his companion. The author did a lot of research about wolves and incorporated it into the story.

lorna_w
12-15-2011, 03:43 PM
I camped fir a week next to a guy with a lovely gray wolf pup in June. It was 15 weeks old and already had the beginning of that lanky adolescent look. The pup was immediately submissive to me, a real sweetie after that first display, and terrified of horses, elks and other animals it saw. This all surprised me a good deal, and perhaps the pup would have grown into an adult with other attitudes but as a youngster, he seemed to want to defer to everything else in the world.