PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Situation



Undercover
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Just a few days ago I signed a contract with a publisher and unfortunately now I'm second guessing it. I didn't like the fact that I have to sell 2,500 e-copies first to ever see it in print, but I signed anyway because this particular ms. was agented before and has been around the block a few times. Long story short, the agent walked away because the offer (another publisher at the time) was too low for her. I didn't like it either, so I walked away from it too. In the meantime, I went back to one of the other publishers that was interested, from when my agent worked on it, (asked the agent and everything if I could do that) and persued this one particular publisher after my agent and I parted ways.

Since then I finished my second novel and received an offer of rep. from a new agent (haven't yet signed, but most likely will) but am wondering if this new agent might like my first one now too and perhaps find a better publisher.

After I signed with the pub. I found out it won't release till Fall of 2013??? That's like 2 years from now. Anyway the more I find out, the more I feel like I made the wrong decision in going with this publisher.

But since it's only been a few days and now that I have connected with a new agent with the second one, do you think I should tell this new agent of all this and see if she wants to rep both? I'm hesitant because the first one went through a few rounds of pitching-- about 8 or 9 publishers in total. But I know there are tons of other places it could be pitched to if she is willing to take it on.

Just wondering what to do on this...comments appreciated.

NeuroFizz
12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
You have signed a contract. What does that mean to you? I can tell you what it is going to mean to a new agent, and to the publisher. Also, you had better check that contract to see if it includes a right of first refusal on your next work.

Amadan
12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
You have signed a contract. What does that mean to you? I can tell you what it is going to mean to a new agent, and to the publisher. Also, you had better check that contract to see if it includes a right of first refusal on your next work.

Yup.

Sorry, you signed a contract. Having second thoughts? Too bad. If you really, really want out of it, you can ask the publisher and maybe they'll let you, but you'd better hope that publisher doesn't talk to other publishers (and agents), or that you can do a good job of explaining to future publishers and agents why you signed a contract and then wanted to bail a few days later.

Best bet is just accept that maybe you made a bad deal and move on and write another book.

CaroGirl
12-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Honesty is the best policy.

Check your contract and see what it says about your future work. Either way, be upfront and tell your current publisher that you plan to query agents with your next book. See what they say. Depending on the contract, there might be nothing they can do. But you definitely don't want to keep anything from them. It's not professional.

Drachen Jager
12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
If the previous book has already done the rounds I doubt your new agent wants to waste their time on it. Just go with it. Write it off as a learning experience. You signed. How would you feel if a publisher signed with you, then a while later said, "Sorry, but we want to free up space in our roster in case we find someone better."

profen4
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I've seen other threads where people have discussed how they asked to purchase the rights back from publishers. I think the examples in those threads were because the author felt the work sub-par. In those cases, and perhaps in this, being honest and professional with the publisher might work out. That said, if they refuse, be professional and do your best when it comes to editing and promotion.
quan ao thoi trang (http://doxinh.com/danh-muc/quan-ao-thoi-trang/) do lot nu hang hieu (http://doxinh.com.vn/danh-muc/do-lot-nu/) bao tay cho be (http://doxinh.vn/danh-muc/do-so-sinh-cho-be/bao-chan-bao-tay/) thoi trang cong so (http://trangbanbuon.com/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/) thoi trang cong so (http://trangbanbuon.vn/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/) trang phuc co trang (http://roses.vn/studio/cho-thue-trang-phuc/trang-phuc-co-trang/)
Best of luck.

shaldna
12-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Just a few days ago I signed a contract with a publisher and unfortunately now I'm second guessing it. I didn't like the fact that I have to sell 2,500 e-copies first to ever see it in print, but I signed anyway because this particular ms. was agented before and has been around the block a few times.

I've seen this with many small presses. I don't think it's a massive problem to be honest.



Since then I finished my second novel and received an offer of rep. from a new agent (haven't yet signed, but most likely will) but am wondering if this new agent might like my first one now too and perhaps find a better publisher.

If you've already signed with that publisher then there's probably not much you can do in terms of getting antoher publisher, but you should check your contract to see what the terms of getting out are.



After I signed with the pub. I found out it won't release till Fall of 2013??? That's like 2 years from now. Anyway the more I find out, the more I feel like I made the wrong decision in going with this publisher.

This is standard with pretty much every publisher.

shaldna
12-08-2011, 02:13 PM
you'd better hope that publisher doesn't talk to other publishers (and agents), or that you can do a good job of explaining to future publishers and agents why you signed a contract and then wanted to bail a few days later.

.

This also.

Especially if this is your frist book. Publishing is a small world and you certainly don't want a reputation for being unreliable and wasting people's time.

Also, bear in mind that your contract is a legally binding document, and, depending on the attitudes of the publisher, could turn out to be very expensive to get out of.

In addition, I assume that you have looked the publisher up on the bakcground check board here? If not then have a look now and see what others are saying abotu them

Terie
12-08-2011, 05:04 PM
After I signed with the pub. I found out it won't release till Fall of 2013???

If you contracted a book tomorrow with a major publisher, you'd be lucky for it to be out that soon. Two years is pretty much the minimum amount of time between acceptance and release. I haven't a clue why you're complaining about that particular detail.