How Do You Dump a Potential Publisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gondomir

Registered
Reaction score
There is a publisher, that I first queried and later sent my manuscript to at the publisher's request, that has expressed further interest in publishing my novel. Unfortunately, I have found through this forum that this publisher has a bad reputation.

How should I go about dumping this loser? I want to be tactful and professional.

Should I formally withdraw my manuscript? Given reasons? Not give reasons? Do nothing and just quietly move on?

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to be tactful and professional, I'd just say "thanks for your interest, but I've decided to go a different direction" or something similar.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Tell them you're exploring other avenues for publication and to please withdraw your manuscript from consideration. I don't think you need to explain more than that, but if it's just based on reputation it's probably courteous to inform them.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
The most courteous route is probably to say you've chosen to go in a different direction or some such, but I have always preferred to be very specific: "Your contract states x, y, and z," or whatever.

You might provoke a change. Or not. ;)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you give reasons, you're opening yourself up to an argument. Just say no in a polite way and don't over-complicate it.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't signed a contract, you owe this publisher nothing, including an explanation. Just withdraw your manuscript from consideration.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Dear X,

I appreciate your expressing interest in <title> in your <email or letter> of <date>.

However, I wanted to let you know that the manuscript is no longer available for consideration.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Doing it over Facebook or a text message would really be best.

'spose you could tell their neighbor, ask them to pass it on.

:)

Cut and paste #7 above. Replace the pertinent sections with accurate information, and send it.

If you are not under any kind of contract, you are under no obligation to discuss it further. Be polite, be firm, be professional.

Good luck!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Dear John,

I totally saw you making out with Karen Finch at recess. We are OVER! You can take your stupid Star Wars DVD collection back, by the way I put it through the blender, along with your vinyl original release Pink Floyd and your hamster!

P.S. I am totally going to tell everyone at school that you liked to dress up in my underpants. Perv.

P.P.S. I never really LOLed at ANY of your texts. I just said that to be nice.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Publisher, it's not you. It's me. I hope we can still be friends. No hard feelings.

By the way, do you still have my sweater? The red one? Cause I'd like it back.

Thanks,

Your favorite soccer mom

Gondomir

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! It is amazing how this thread deteriorated into a joke! This was a serious post. Some of you really hurt my feelings with your mockery. Nah--I'm just kidding. I think I may have cracked a rib laughing at some of the comments. Seriously, though, thanks everyone--I'll probably use WriterGDW's tactful approach.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
There is a publisher, that I first queried and later sent my manuscript to at the publisher's request, that has expressed further interest in publishing my novel. Unfortunately, I have found through this forum that this publisher has a bad reputation.

At least you were lucky to find out before you signed anything with them.

How should I go about dumping this loser? I want to be tactful and professional.

Well, if you want to be professional I would suggest NOT refering to 'dumping this loser' as it gives off the wrong vibe. :)

The best thing to do is to send a short note to the publisher stating that you are considering other avenues and must regretfully withdraw your manuscript from consideration.

You don't have to give them any other reason.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
However, you really should include a line on how their other authors have posted pics of them in ladies' undies. Unless they're ladies, in which case, the pics are of them in studded outlaw biker thongs.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
You might also want to say something on the order of "your proposal does not meet our needs at the present time. Wishing you the best of good fortune at finding other authors in the future."

:evil

Last edited:

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Unless they're ladies, in which case, the pics are of them in studded outlaw biker thongs.

Not that there's anything wrong with studded outlaw biker thongs -- unless the studs are are on the wrong side . . . :evil

Status
Not open for further replies.