PDA

View Full Version : In search of my Beta in shining armour - pre-apocalyptic YA - 75k

KateHawkings
12-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Kate and I'm currently searching for a beta reader to look over my YA novel The Sphinx Project. I am hoping to send it chapter by chapter over the month of December before my early Jan deadline. I know it's a bit of a squeeze, especially with the holidays, but I have my fingers crossed that I might find someone interested.

The project is a young adult pre-apocalyptic story revolving around a genetically engineered young woman and her team as they escape the labs that created them in search of their own lives. The blurb needs a little work too, but here it is:

Michaela and her sister aren't normal. Neither are the others on their team. Not many people have been conditioned for their future occupation since before they were born. But after years of experiments, training, and mistreatment, none of them hesitate at the chance to escape.

However, the outside world isn't what they were expecting and, for the first time in her life, Michaela must step out of her sister's shadow to save the others from the worst fate imaginable.

Feedback. The story has been beta'd by friends before, and has been through a content critique by an editor. I have been making the editor's suggested changes and revising certain plot points before I send it away for line edits.The goal is publishing, which means I want to make this story as amazing as possible. I'm looking for someone with experience in young adult literature to read an evaluate my work, specifically the plot and character development. I am looking for someone completely honest, who can tell me exactly what they think. I understand that some of what is said may not be what I want to hear.
Publishing. I know I may be looked down on this, but I have decided to self-publish this story. It has a cover and I've thoroughly researched this path, so I like to think I know what I'm doing... We shall see eventually whether I do or not.
Credentials. You don't necessarily need to have a published book, but you do need some level of knowledge about young adult books and what is currently available.

Thanks for taking a peek guys! I hope you're all well :)

Sarah G
12-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Meant to send by Pm

KateHawkings
12-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Hi everyone,
Thanks for checking out my post, but I just found a lovely beta-reader. I may be back in future, but for now she is working wonderfully :)

FictionQuest
12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Would you not benefit from having more than one beta reader? I would gladly take a look.

KateHawkings
12-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Would you not benefit from having more than one beta reader? I would gladly take a look.

I was thinking about this, but I'm not totally sure. I might see how it goes for a couple of days and then decide. Thanks for volunteering :)