Anti-Itch Creams in Pregnancy

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I've published a researched article about anti-itch creams safe in pregnancy (not selling anything, no ads).

I've mentioned there oatmeal baths, calamine lotion, antihistamine creams and pills, baking soda paste, moisturizers containing olive oil, hydrocortisone cream, etc.

Can any woman who experienced rash during pregnancy say what helped her to relieve itch? I'm still prepared to do additional research and edit my article, if necessary.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had terrible itching during both pregnancies, the first especially, although I did not have a rash, just generalized itching skin. A specific brand of body powder, Gold Bond, was the only thing which helped at all, and it didn't eliminate it, just lessened it. I do not know what ingredient(s) it has that others do not.

Mostly I kept myself extremely busy and tried not to notice the itch. I worked long hours at a demanding job, which helped.

My OB did not want me using antihistamines or cortisone in any form. Oatmeal baths did nothing (and you try cleaning the tub over your giant belly!), and I'd have to immerse myself in calamine lotion to cover enough skin. Moisturized skin was not an issue.

My OB and another in her practice said that while it was not proven, a drop in liver function was suspected to be behind such itching. Now, many years later, I'm a liver patient. It could be a coincidence, but perhaps not.

Maryn, not sure how this helps

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
What you had was very likely "intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy." It's described elsewhere on the internet. Like you said: itching all over without any rash, maybe a mild jaundice, are typical. Gold Bond contains a local anesthetic pramoxine, or menthol plus zinc oxide, depending on the exact product.

Yes, I'm looking for exactly this type of answers.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I wasn't so itchy during pregnancy, but I did get a rash at one point and the doctor suggested the oatmeal bath. (I used Aveno).

I didn't take benadryl because the doc advised against it.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Meditation.
Fudge, you mean actual creams...

Plain old non-medicated lotion, whatever's handy. Applied with a slow, circular motion gives enough tactile sensation that can sometimes take your mind off the itch, especially if you're doing it on yourself - concentrating on something outside the itchy area (picturing the circle you make with your hand) can distract you from the itch.

Last edited:

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Our doctors were hesitant to ok any medications during pregnancy, except for advil for migraines. Benadryl was to be used only for food allergy emergencies.

But yes, meditation did help. It's helpful to know your body well enough to recognize what part is complaining, and what the incipient problem is. The sooner you realize something's not quite right, the easier it is to do something about it.

It worked for the itchy sensations, and the raised, reddened skin we called rashes.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Ice. Cetaphil or some gentle lotion like that. I think sometimes they will allow certain steroids if it's very bad. Good luck!

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
I had PUPPS when I was pregnant with my first. The most horrible itchy rash that covered about 80% of my body during the last month + 6 weeks post partum. Aside from the prescription cortizone that I was able to use once I delivered, the only thing that provided relief was goldbond medicated cream.
But those creams have to be used sparingly, as they do have chemicals in them which can pass to baby via placenta and breast milk. I think I was only able to use them like 6x per day (I'm a little hazy on that since it was 10 years ago, I just remember there were times when I was itchy as hell but couldn't really use anything that worked--oatmeal baths did nothing for me).

But the best thing I discovered, was ice. When I couldn't use cream, I would put ice directly on an itchy spot and have instant relief.

Last edited:

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
For how long did you hold ice on the rash and for how many minutes/hours did it work afterwards?

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
The relief was instant. From what i understand the cold signal sent by your nerves blocks the itch signal. It lasts about 15 minutes, but you can do it as often as you want without fear of harming baby.

Last edited: